Dalai Lama attends Pentecost Mass of Cardinal in Vienna
(05-30-2012, 09:51 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: What brought you out of it Miss Fluffy? Was it a quick conversion?

It was gradual, but I believe my experiences with meditation did more to bring me to the true faith than anything else.  In particular, I attended a 10 day silent meditation retreat and the guru spoke about Jesus as an enlightened being.  It opened me up to reading about Him and what He taught.  I had never read the bible nor anything about Jesus prior to that, and it really turned my world upside-down.
(05-30-2012, 09:55 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 09:51 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: What brought you out of it Miss Fluffy? Was it a quick conversion?

It was gradual, but I believe my experiences with meditation did more to bring me to the true faith than anything else.  In particular, I attended a 10 day silent meditation retreat and the guru spoke about Jesus as an enlightened being.  It opened me up to reading about Him and what He taught.  I had never read the bible nor anything about Jesus prior to that, and it really turned my world upside-down.

That's actually pretty awesome. Who would of thought a ten day silent meditation retreat would have actually led to Christ?
(05-30-2012, 09:55 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: In particular, I attended a 10 day silent meditation retreat and the guru spoke about Jesus as an enlightened being.  It opened me up to reading about Him and what He taught.  I had never read the bible nor anything about Jesus prior to that, and it really turned my world upside-down.

Indeed, "My sheep hear my voice: and I know them, and they follow me." (John 10:27)

Glory be to God!
This verse in particular was the first that I read that truly moved me.  For some reason, I find it very humorous as well as wise, and I fell in love with God's sense of humor.

From Mark 5 Wrote:[46] For if you love them that love you, what reward shall you have? do not even the publicans this? [47] And if you salute your brethren only, what do you more? do not also the heathens this?
(05-29-2012, 04:16 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Tibetan Buddhism is completely in accord with ecumenism. The Dalai Lama probably sees our Lord as an incarnation of Avalokitesvara, as he himself is believed to be by traditional Tibetan BUddhists. Do ask why.

A)  Why?

B) Who the heck is Ava (down) loki (the world/heaven) tesvara (no idea what this means)?  Some guy who fell out of the sky?
I don't think there's a problem with the Dali Lama attending Mass. Everyone ought to attend Mass, quite frankly, even if they have yet to accept the Faith. I don't think that he should be seated in the sanctuary; however, he probably did not know any better--it is most likely the fault of someone who seated him there.
(05-30-2012, 10:24 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 04:16 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Tibetan Buddhism is completely in accord with ecumenism. The Dalai Lama probably sees our Lord as an incarnation of Avalokitesvara, as he himself is believed to be by traditional Tibetan BUddhists. Do ask why.

A)  Why?

Tibetan Buddhism has a lot of influence from Hinduism. If there is some god you have, we can just bring him in and call him a manifestation of one of our gods. In this case, they call them buddhas instead of gods. There are still gods (which are more like angels), but buddhas are more like gods. Also since someone doesn't have to attain Nirvana in this life, they can remain in their religion while still progressing on the Buddhist path.

(05-30-2012, 10:24 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: B) Who the heck is Ava (down) loki (the world/heaven) tesvara (no idea what this means)?  Some guy who fell out of the sky?

Avalokitesvara = ava (down) + lokita (looking) + esvara (lord)

He is the buddha of compassion. He is female form in Chinese Buddhism (kuan yin). The Tibetan Buddhists took a liking to him, and all the Dalai Lamas are considered a manifestation of him. It gets complicated. Tibetans took the already complicated Mahayana and tantric teachings, and added a layer of native belief on it. They are the only types of Buddhists who think that reincarnations can be recognized, and further that these people are manifestations of a buddha. Suffice it to say, Tibetans essentially think he is a god. The Dalai Lama has downplayed this, though. (So in analogy it would be like us worshipping the Pope as Christ.) Most Westerners don't view him this way. They might think of him as an very gifted spiritual leader, and some may actually believe he is a reincarnation of the former Dalai Lama. You can watch Kundun to get a general rundown of his early history. The worship of Buddhas stemmed from early Buddhisms cult of devotion to bodhisattva (people who would be future buddhas). Later the bodhisattvas took on divine status, and finally in Tibet a single bodhisattva can manifest itself in multiple people. The Dalai Lama is considered already enlightened, but holding off final nirvana for the benefit of other beings. This holding off can be practically infinite in time. Any orthodox Buddhist would see this sort of stuff as the strangest and most extreme perversion of the original Buddhist teachings. But few of them say this outright since they don't want to foster conflict. While we see kind old man Dalai Lama, devotees see much more,
Quote:Tibetan Buddhism has a lot of influence from Hinduism. If there is some god you have, we can just bring him in and call him a manifestation of one of our gods. In this case, they call them buddhas instead of gods.

This is true, and it is why I heard that it's difficult to convert a Hindu. They can just "add" Christ to their collection, so to speak.