Communion in the hand - DENIED!
At the beginning of the Paris-Chartres pilgrimage, at Notre-Dame cathedral, there was an announcement at mass that communion would ONLY be on the tongue and kneeling (or standing if kneeling was impossible). This announcement was repeated at all masses.

Even after this announcement, I saw someone attempt to receive on in the hand, while standing. The priest shook his head and moved on to the next person. The person was shocked that he was refused communion.

It's nice to see the tables turned sometimes.
(05-29-2012, 04:37 AM)DiesIrae Wrote: At the beginning of the Paris-Chartres pilgrimage, at Notre-Dame cathedral, there was an announcement at mass that communion would ONLY be on the tongue and kneeling (or standing if kneeling was impossible). This announcement was repeated at all masses.

Even after this announcement, I saw someone attempt to receive on in the hand, while standing. The priest shook his head and moved on to the next person. The person was shocked that he was refused communion.

It's nice to see the tables turned sometimes.

Alleluia!
Given that the Paris to Chartres pilgrimage is the Ecclesia Dei pilgrimage .......

why the hell was Communion in the hand ever an option?  I went on it 3 years ago and don't know why any 1962-Mass-going person would ever want to receive in the hand.

Weird.
(05-29-2012, 05:13 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Given that the Paris to Chartres pilgrimage is the Ecclesia Dei pilgrimage .......

why the hell was Communion in the hand ever an option?  I went on it 3 years ago and don't know why any 1962-Mass-going person would ever want to receive in the hand.

Weird.

I met some people (very few) who only go to the TLM occasionally. They normally go the NO. The Paris-Chartres pilgrimage is a French Traditional Catholic pilgrimage, so I can see how some  French who are not exclusively trad do the pilgrimage. They do it because they are French Catholics. Remember the banners? Half religious, half regional?

And no, communion in the hand was not an option on the pilgrimage. That was the point.
Don't people have a "right" to communion in the hand? Benedict XVI himself gave the Queen of Spain communion in the hand.
(05-29-2012, 12:35 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Don't people have a "right" to communion in the hand? Benedict XVI himself gave the Queen of Spain communion in the hand.

No, the Queen of Spain (who is a bit off) "took" the host in her hand.
(05-29-2012, 05:13 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Given that the Paris to Chartres pilgrimage is the Ecclesia Dei pilgrimage .......

Weird.
    Actually, many centuries ago, communion was given in hand.  Supposedly, the host was place in the palm.  The communicant would pick up the host by his or her lips.
(05-29-2012, 01:33 PM)jacobhalo Wrote:

Weird.
     Actually, many centuries ago, communion was given in hand.  Supposedly, the host was place in the palm.  The communicant would pick up the host by his or her lips.

And on their palm was a piece of clean linen to act as a barrier to their actual skin, was there not?

I'd like to add that while I detest the receiving of the Sacred Host in the hand, I wonder if the person is just improperly catechized by forcing the issue despite warning or if there was another issue?

What if, in such a large crowd, they were unable to indicate they can't physically receive on the tongue due to whatever reason?

What if they are going with the same mentality that some people who kneel and receive COTT- it's allowed and that's that?

It's easy to sit back and smirk and glibly wonder, "how's it feel now when the ball ain't in your court anymore?". I think this is the wrong approach.

I'd hope that anyone who was properly instructed on the reasons, real and abstract, for COTT would automatically cease from COTH, much less make a damn spectacle and have their pilgrimage tarnished by their own ignorance.

I feel bad for this person because no matter what the reason for the situation was, it could have been different, and to me indicates improper instruction. I view COTT and kneeling as the default, with exceptions, whereas I do not see COTH as a good thing except as part of the exceptional category as relates to COTT. I just hope that they are able to channel this experience into finding more efficacious and reverent ways to receive Our Lord in Holy Communion. I hope they do not negatively use this experience to their own detriment and the reduction of their potential positive impact for the work of Christ.

It would be similarly easy to sit back and smugly reflect on the chaos that resulted from merely correcting the NO Mass's translation. But to do so is to find pleasure in the negative fallout of that. I'm guilty of that myself.
Who once said that the true Faith was dead in France?
The first daughter of the Church is leading the way.