Communion in the hand - DENIED!
(05-29-2012, 10:17 PM)PeterII Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 08:13 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Also, from this video footage of the event, is she taking communion in the hand? No! Benedict XVI gave her communio in manu.

Oh please, what is the Pope going to do?  Slap her in the face and start a fight? It was her choice, and unfortunately communion in the hand is still permitted.  It should be officially banned immediately.   
I thought it was banned & not permitted.

(05-29-2012, 10:19 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 10:17 PM)PeterII Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 08:13 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Also, from this video footage of the event, is she taking communion in the hand? No! Benedict XVI gave her communio in manu.

Oh please, what is the Pope going to do?  Slap her in the face and start a fight? It was her choice, and unfortunately communion in the hand is still permitted.  It should be officially banned immediately.   
I thought it was banned & not permitted.

Unfortunately it is not.  It was granted as an indult in 1969, and the Pope is not opposed to it in principle.  The rule is not to give it at Papal masses now, but deviations are obviously tolerated. 
He could have done what I have seen trad priests do: refuse to give her communion in the hand. Go to any SSPX or FSSP priest and stick your hands out. See what happens.

BXVI is not the great conservative or the restorer traditionalist. He is not.
(05-29-2012, 10:55 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: He could have done what I have seen trad priests do: refuse to give her communion in the hand. Go to any SSPX or FSSP priest and stick your hands out. See what happens.

BXVI is not the great conservative or the restorer traditionalist. He is not.

But he's the Pope, not just any priest.  If an SSPX or FSSP priest denies someone Communion in the hand, big deal, it won't make the news. 

If the Pope denied someone Communion in the hand, especially someone like the Queen of Spain, it would be big news and unleash a storm of criticism against the Church.  The storm makers are always ready, you know.  Even if the Queen was perfectly understanding and told the media it was all her fault for not realizing that the Pope does not give CITH, you know how the wolves would go after him.

You have to admit, too, that Pope Benedict has restored some traditional things, even though he's not as trad as you would like.  It's not easy putting toouthpaste back in a tube, especially when the toothpaste was squeezed out of the tube forty years ago.  Because of Benedict, priests are now allowed to celebrate the EF without begging their bishop for permission.  That was a big move and he went against a lot of people in doing it.

I think that more priests who regularly say the OF would also celebrate the EF if Benedict would lean on the bishops more, tell them they can no longer say "Not in my diocese", and (most importantly) that they may not discriminate against priests who choose to offer the EF.  If they do discriminate, they should be punished.  The Pope should also order bishops to work to have more EF Masses for the people in their see, paying travel expenses for priests who can say the EF to come in and say it until all priests are able to.  Catholics should not have to drive more than an hour to attend the EF Mass.  The bishops have to understand that.

But suppose Benedict clamped down on the bishops and then only lived a year or two afterwards -- his successor might let the bishops go back to suppressing the EF before enough people had become attached to the EF to raise a ruckus. 

It would be better for his successor to be the one to clamp down on the bishops because he'll probably have more years to enforce it, if he does it.  We can hope that Benedict has his successor picked out, that the eventual conclave will elect him, and he will be more traditional.  His Holiness could live several more years but the older you are, the less time you can count on.

(05-29-2012, 12:35 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: Don't people have a "right" to communion in the hand? Benedict XVI himself gave the Queen of Spain communion in the hand.
Not in the "Extraordinary Form".
Cardinal Burke issued a declaration about a year ago that Communion must be taken in the mouth at all TLM's.
Just a small remark. The late, His Grace Archbishop Aboon Benedict Mar Gregorios
Archbishop of Syro-Malankara Catholic Church, praised Vatican II for allowing the ancient Eastern custom of receiving Communion standing and in the hand. Of course, in the Latin Rite this custom was abolished centuries ago because of abuses.
(05-29-2012, 08:10 PM)Martinus Wrote: I was there (just got back) and may actually have met the guy who found himself in this situation.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, he was new to the TLM. He was also English, and the announcement was only made in French.

I thought the announcement was made in English as well. It was at subsequent masse, however, maybe not at Notre-Dame.

But it was explained it was a trad pilgrimage, with trad masses and sacraments and that at the TLM communion on the tongue and kneeling is the proper way of receiving. One may receive on the tongue and standing in exceptional circumstances. There were also diocesan priests on the pilgrimage who, I guess, didn't exclusively celebrate the TLM. The announcement was for their benefit as well.
(05-30-2012, 10:47 AM)francisco Wrote: Just a small remark. The late, His Grace Archbishop Aboon Benedict Mar Gregorios
Archbishop of Syro-Malankara Catholic Church, praised Vatican II for allowing the ancient Eastern custom of receiving Communion standing and in the hand. Of course, in the Latin Rite this custom was abolished centuries ago because of abuses.

Sounds to me like he was a liberal pushing his own agenda, since I know of know of no Eastern Church that receives in the hand. We receive on the tongue, under both Species, simultaneously, using a spoon.
(05-30-2012, 02:48 PM)DiesIrae Wrote:
(05-29-2012, 08:10 PM)Martinus Wrote: I was there (just got back) and may actually have met the guy who found himself in this situation.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, he was new to the TLM. He was also English, and the announcement was only made in French.

I thought the announcement was made in English as well. It was at subsequent masse, however, maybe not at Notre-Dame.

But it was explained it was a trad pilgrimage, with trad masses and sacraments and that at the TLM communion on the tongue and kneeling is the proper way of receiving. One may receive on the tongue and standing in exceptional circumstances. There were also diocesan priests on the pilgrimage who, I guess, didn't exclusively celebrate the TLM. The announcement was for their benefit as well.

Yeah, it was made in English at the later Masses.

I know it was advertised as a Trad pilgrimage, and I'm not sure how this chap came to find out about it and decide to go. It could be that he should have known better, but from the conversation I heard later it really sounded like he didn't.

I don't know why he ended up not receiving. Perhaps there was a language barrier again, so he didn't understand what he had to do. A bit of a shame, but obviously the right thing was done by not giving in and just giving him Communion in the hand. The important thing, I think, is not to assume ill will or even culpable ignorance on the part of people in this situation. (And don't give them Communion in the hand either, of course.)
(05-30-2012, 03:22 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 10:47 AM)francisco Wrote: Just a small remark. The late, His Grace Archbishop Aboon Benedict Mar Gregorios

Sounds to me like he was a liberal pushing his own agenda, since I know of know of no Eastern Church that receives in the hand. We receive on the tongue, under both Species, simultaneously, using a spoon.

Good to know this, thank you. I was given a booklet written about the Holy Kurbana (sp?) and this archbishop had written the preface. Come to think of it, I have seen pictures of a spoon being used in the Eastern service.