Question about the history of public funding of Catholic schools
Does anyone know when and how Catholic schools began getting government funding?  I think it was during a time when most people were either Protestant or Catholic, and it was an effort to show tolerance of the Catholics.  The public schools used to be called Protestant schools, but now many of them have willingly given up any Christian aspects at all. 

How soon after Catholic schools started receiving funding from the government did they begin to succumb to the inevitable pressure to teach things contrary to the faith?  Was there ever opposition to the government's imposing these teachings on them? 
In the US, Catholic schools get no moola from the godless Federal Government. In my day we were harassed by the Public School System. They accredited the Catholic Schools and demanded PSAT's every year hoping to disqualify the schools. The revenge was the Sisters taught us better, and they expected us to score two full grades above our grade level. Well with the help of the Holy Ghost we did it.  In my eighth grade the Sister that was supposed to teach us couldn't come so we had another. The deal is she was going to teach us a combination of the Constitution, recent US history, and civics. When she couldn't come we got plain US history. We had to take the US Constitution Test to graduate, we weren't taught it but we passed again with high scores. The Chicago Archdiocesan Schools back then were the second largest in the nation, after the NY Public Schools.

tim
Apparently Catholic Schools in Ontario get goverment funding because the secular atheistic govermant up there is pushing the gay agenda on them. The Bishops should close down the schools and start from scratch without goverment funding. If the parents don't want to finance the Catholic schools, then no schools!
I just remembered the tuition then was $1.25 per month for one, and $2.50 no matter how many. I want to have a beer with them when I see them in heaven. I know they drank beer cause one of my younger brothers pasl emptied all their trash on Monday before school. Lots and lots of beer cans. I'm feeling all warm and fizzy.

tim
(05-29-2012, 01:44 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: Does anyone know when and how Catholic schools began getting government funding?  I think it was during a time when most people were either Protestant or Catholic, and it was an effort to show tolerance of the Catholics.  The public schools used to be called Protestant schools, but now many of them have willingly given up any Christian aspects at all. 

How soon after Catholic schools started receiving funding from the government did they begin to succumb to the inevitable pressure to teach things contrary to the faith?  Was there ever opposition to the government's imposing these teachings on them? 

I think it depends on what kind of funding you are talking about. When I was in grade school in the 1960's for example my school received "free milk" just as the public schools did as part of a federal program. But then a court case decided that was "aiding religion" and we had to start paying for our milk. Catholic colleges benefit from funding programs such as the National Endowment for the Humanities which gives grants to buy library books for one thing. Some consider government student loan programs as part of government funding also. The Catholic elementary and high schools were set up in the USA primarily because the public schools were at one time de facto Protestant schools. I'm not sure what funding if any that Catholic grade schools and high schools get now. There was always strong opposition though to any funding of Catholic schools in the USA.

C.
The goverment giveth (money) and the goverment taketh away (freedom)
In Ontario there's a party called the Family Coalition Party that's fighting another battle over the 'anti-bullying' (pro-'gay') agenda.  The premier is deaf to the protests against Bill 13, which will be voted on this week, and will force even Catholic schools to have clubs called 'gay-straight alliances' (GSAs) if just one student requests it.  The bill says the clubs can't be called anything else.  And these clubs must be run by the students any way they want, without any interference from any authorities.  The Catholic schools agreed to have clubs to discourage bullying of all students and would've called them 'Respecting Differences' but that wasn't good enough for Dalton McGuinty, our premier. 

If your US Catholic schools were funded, and there was a section in the Constitution (as there is the Canadian one, namely section 93) that allowed Catholic schools to reject any legislation that would negatively effect faith or morals, would you encourage the bishops to invoke that?  Or would you encourage them to stop accepting government funding?  Or would you do something else?

The Family Coalition Party is encouraging people to contact Archbishop (and Cardinal) Tom Collins to encourage him to invoke this section of the Constitution, because they say that it would result in all schools being protected from the pressure to have these GSAs.  So far Archbishop Collins has been openly critical of the bill, but not strongly enough for some. 
Money is power.  If you don't want someone to have power over you and your organization -- don't accept their money.
(05-29-2012, 09:50 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: If your US Catholic schools were funded, and there was a section in the Constitution (as there is the Canadian one, namely section 93) that allowed Catholic schools to reject any legislation that would negatively effect faith or morals, would you encourage the bishops to invoke that?  Or would you encourage them to stop accepting government funding?  Or would you do something else?

The Family Coalition Party is encouraging people to contact Archbishop (and Cardinal) Tom Collins to encourage him to invoke this section of the Constitution, because they say that it would result in all schools being protected from the pressure to have these GSAs.  So far Archbishop Collins has been openly critical of the bill, but not strongly enough for some. 

I would certainly encourage your bishops to invoke that as if it's in the Constitution it sounds pretty iron clad as far as protecting faith and morals.

C.
If, and I am not for any funding of any schools by the US Federal government, there is funding, it should be directly to the parents in a voucher. It would allow the better schools to flourish and the rotten ones to perish. If the Church was back on track, teaching orders of Sisters and Brothers would be everywhere, and Catholic Schools would flourish. In Chicago, the Archdiocese before everything fell apart, taught many African Americans that were AME Baptists, and turned out young men and women of high caliber. Because of their poverty it brought the system down, but it was a golden opportunity for those kids. Because of the government watching they soft pedalled conversion, what a shame.  Imagine how solid Catholics of African American descent would have changed this country of this country. Imagine a Roberto Bellarmine McGhee as POTUS.

tim