Weeeeird Clouds!
Via Spirit Daily came this link to some extremely interesting and beautiful clouds called "mammatus clouds." Below is a description of what they are -- and here is the link to the pictures. I've never seen anything like it in my life!

http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/june20...matus.html

What Mammatus Clouds Are:

Quote:
Mammatus are pouch-like cloud structures and a rare example of clouds in sinking air.

Sometimes very ominous in appearance, mammatus clouds are harmless and do not mean that a tornado is about to form; a commonly held misconception. In fact, mammatus are usually seen after the worst of a thunderstorm has passed. 

As updrafts carry precipitation enriched air to the cloud top, upward momentum is lost and the air begins to spread out horizontally, becoming a part of the anvil cloud. Because of its high concentration of precipitation particles (ice crystals and water droplets), the saturated air is heavier than the surrounding air and sinks back towards the earth. 

The temperature of the subsiding air increases as it descends. However, since heat energy is required to melt and evaporate the precipitation particles contained within the sinking air, the warming produced by the sinking motion is quickly used up in the evaporation of precipitation particles. If more energy is required for evaporation than is generated by the subsidence, the sinking air will be cooler than its surroundings and will continue to sink downward.

The subsiding air eventually appears below the cloud base as rounded pouch-like structures called mammatus clouds. 

Mammatus are long lived if the sinking air contains large drops and snow crystals since larger particles require greater amounts of energy for evaporation to occur. Over time, the cloud droplets do eventually evaporate and the mammatus dissolve.

Mammatus typically develop on the underside of a thunderstorm's anvil and can be a remarkable sight, especially when sunlight is reflected off of them. 
I think I'd be really scared if I saw those overhead!!!! Freaky! They're gorgeous, though.

After a particularly nasty thunderstorm back in 1988, I remember seeing the sky filled with layer after layer of these absolutely gorgeous fluffy clouds that were coloured by the sun behind them. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.....it actually brought tears to my eyes! I half-expected Our Lord Himself to show up in those clouds - that's how stunning they were. I've never seen anything like it since!
Marisa Wrote:I think I'd be really scared if I saw those overhead!!!! Freaky! They're gorgeous, though.

After a particularly nasty thunderstorm back in 1988, I remember seeing the sky filled with layer after layer of these absolutely gorgeous fluffy clouds that were coloured by the sun behind them. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.....it actually brought tears to my eyes! I half-expected Our Lord Himself to show up in those clouds - that's how stunning they were. I've never seen anything like it since!

It's awesome to see a sky that is -- well, one of those hard-to-describe skies where the sun hits the clouds in just a certain way, and maybe you can see rays or beautiful pinks or blues or purples. I remember seeing a particularly pretty sky on an Easter, while driving to my folks' house. There weren't any fancy colors, but the clouds (or whatever) split the sun's light into those rays that are just breathtaking. Skies like that, especially on a day like that, are the backdrop to one of those moments where you just feel so GRATEFUL.

-- But the clouds in the pictures at the link above - I'm with you here, too, in thinking I'd be pretty freaked-out! That first one, especially, where they look like thick ropes -- whew!  They look so "unnatural" somehow! In that last picture, though, they almost look like parts of Renaissance nudes LOL
Time to put my Latinist hat on.

You realize, of course, that they are called that because they resemble breasts.

This name was probably chosen at a time when breasts were not such a titilating (another Latin word, it's not my fault) subject. Something to add to the Maria lactans file that reminds us of the real function of breasts. They are to feed babies.

Brennus.
Thank you Brennus. I was wondering what the name ment. I was thinking it meant big like mommoth.
I love the sky and all the sunsets and sunrises. I try not to miss any of them. No artist can compare to Our Lord. People say I am always wondering around with my head in the clouds litterally. They fascinate me. I always take pictures of awesome cloud formations.
Yes,

The Psalms talk about God wrapping himself in darkness, descending in clouds with peals of thunder and so forth.

When Christ ascended, he disappeared into a cloud.

I always like those old pictures of the mysteries of the Rosary and other goings on in Heaven where it shows people sitting on the clouds. It's not that we Catholics actually believe Heaven looks like that, but it's a nice natural phenomenon to use as a pictural metaphor.

Pax,

Brennus

Sweet! My cousin graduated from Hastings College (in Hastings, NE, where those pictures were taken). I was born in Lincoln, NE so even though I'm not a fanatic about the Nebraska Cornhuskers football team, I still like Nebraska - rolling fields, tornadoes, prolife politicians, conservative voters, more land than people (a huge relief when I think about where my parents-in-law live: Connecticut).

I would be really scared if I saw those overhead, too. I also love it when I can see rays of light shining down from the clouds; I've taken a picture of that at least once. This small city ends two blocks away so I like to walk out of my apartment in the morning or evening when it's not really hot and go down to the edge of the street I live on. I stand at the edge of a field and look at the beautiful colors of the sunrise or sunset; sometimes I sing parts of a religious song because it's so pretty. Alleluia!

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne
Did you say Spirit Daily?  You have to be careful about that site... I've seen some hoaky stuff there. 

Sincerely,

Mary
paxchristi Wrote:Did you say Spirit Daily?  You have to be careful about that site... I've seen some hoaky stuff there.   

Yup, I did. And you're right; there is a ton of hokey stuff in there -- but also some good links and information for the discerning!