For Greater Glory in Theaters June 1st
(06-01-2012, 06:55 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: I am definitely going to see this. However, I have noticed one thing about it that troubles me, and for which we may want to be on our guard.

I notice in the previews that the Andy Garcia character, at least in the beginning of the movie, does not have the Faith. But, that he is doing this for freedom.

Does this sound like the Religious Liberty canard our bishops are currently bringing to the fore? Why yes it does!

So this movie is coming out on June 1st. On June 8th, a massive rally is being planned to protest the HHS Mandate in the cloak of Religious Liberty and Freedom of Conscience supposedly guaranteed in the Constitution.

Is this just a coincidence? Or is it designed to keep, or bring Catholics back to the "joys" of Political Activism?

You realize the plan is to keep us busy, right?

It IS about religious liberty, at least from testimonies.

"I come from a country [Cuba] where religious freedom for many years was completely taken away. So that parallel makes it easy for me to champion that cause." Andy Garcia
But then again, what was the "Viva Cristo Rey" battle cry actually about?

I will see it, but with a cautioned eye.
(05-31-2012, 08:22 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: Thanks for posting this GottmitunsAlex !

Showtimes:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/cristiada/showtimes/

It is not showing it anywhere near me.  I can't figure out if that is because the site does not work for Canada or the movie really isn't here.  Does anyone know if it is being shown in Ontario?
(06-01-2012, 04:12 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(05-31-2012, 08:22 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: Thanks for posting this GottmitunsAlex !

Showtimes:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/cristiada/showtimes/

It is not showing it anywhere near me.  I can't figure out if that is because the site does not work for Canada or the movie really isn't here.  Does anyone know if it is being shown in Ontario?
I know someone else in Canada that has been unable to find a single theater showing it.
I am seeing it tonight. It is in 6 theaters here but we are a whopping 150 miles from Mexico and Eva Longoria is from the area.
(06-01-2012, 05:17 PM)mom Wrote:
(06-01-2012, 04:12 PM)JayneK Wrote: It is not showing it anywhere near me.  I can't figure out if that is because the site does not work for Canada or the movie really isn't here.  Does anyone know if it is being shown in Ontario?
I know someone else in Canada that has been unable to find a single theater showing it.
I am seeing it tonight. It is in 6 theaters here but we are a whopping 150 miles from Mexico and Eva Longoria is from the area.

I'm going to be in Buffalo at the end of the month and it's showing there.  I hope it is still playing then.
(06-01-2012, 09:38 AM)Dusty_Bottoms Wrote:
(06-01-2012, 09:12 AM)Heinrich Wrote: Trenchant as always, AW.

Here is a review from the local. Roger Ebert does not get it: to Faithful Catholics, there is nothing but the Truth, and, when called(and fortunate?), we are to die for the Faith.

REVIEW: Little-known Mexican war gets pro-Catholic slant in 'Glory'
May 31, 2012 5:14 PM
ROGER EBERT
Universal Press Syndicate

"If it had not hewed so singlemindedly to the Catholic view and included all religions under the banner of religious liberty, I believe it would have been more effective. If your religion doesn't respect the rights of other religions, it is lacking something."

That review was idiotic.  They were only persecuting Catholics.  It's like criticizing a movie about black slavery in 1850 U.S.A. for not including other enslaved peoples.

I'd like to see his review of Shindler's list.  Was he so concerned that it was only about the Tribe's suffering?  I doubt it!
??? I'm still stuck on the fact the people haven't heard of this war. Seriously?
(06-01-2012, 08:51 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: ??? I'm still stuck on the fact the people haven't heard of this war. Seriously?
I'm surprised people haven't heard of the movie.  Everybody's running wild with the avengers... :eyeroll:
(06-01-2012, 08:51 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: ??? I'm still stuck on the fact the people haven't heard of this war. Seriously?

I like what Charles Coulombe had to say when he talked about the know nothings in the 1850s and 60s
He says (I'm going to have to paraphrase here) that the people in the Catholic Church, especially in America tend to sweep such goings on under the rug.  We like to pretend they didn't happen, in the interest of 'getting along' with our protestant neighbors.  He goes on to say that we tend to be the only group of people who do so.  Would you find a Jew saying that the Holocaust wasn't a big deal? A black person that slavery had no real effect on American society? NO! But American Catholics tend to for the sake of going along to get along.
(06-01-2012, 09:40 PM)knittycat Wrote:

I like what Charles Coulombe had to say when he talked about the know nothings in the 1850s and 60s
He says (I'm going to have to paraphrase here) that the people in the Catholic Church, especially in America tend to sweep such goings on under the rug.  We like to pretend they didn't happen, in the interest of 'getting along' with our protestant neighbors.  He goes on to say that we tend to be the only group of people who do so.  Would you find a Jew saying that the Holocaust wasn't a big deal? A black person that slavery had no real effect on American society? NO! But American Catholics tend to for the sake of going along to get along.
You are absolutely right. No backbone. Just a bunch of butt kissers.
The problem is that when a Catholic speaks truths about the false religions, presidents, abortion, fags, either he goes to jail or gets fined heavily.

(06-01-2012, 02:50 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:
(06-01-2012, 10:54 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(06-01-2012, 09:38 AM)Dusty_Bottoms Wrote:
(06-01-2012, 09:12 AM)Heinrich Wrote: Trenchant as always, AW.

Here is a review from the local. Roger Ebert does not get it: to Faithful Catholics, there is nothing but the Truth, and, when called(and fortunate?), we are to die for the Faith.

REVIEW: Little-known Mexican war gets pro-Catholic slant in 'Glory'
May 31, 2012 5:14 PM
ROGER EBERT
Universal Press Syndicate

"If it had not hewed so singlemindedly to the Catholic view and included all religions under the banner of religious liberty, I believe it would have been more effective. If your religion doesn't respect the rights of other religions, it is lacking something."

That review was idiotic.  They were only persecuting Catholics.  It's like criticizing a movie about black slavery in 1850 U.S.A. for not including other enslaved peoples.
You are correct! They were only killing Catholics.

You will be surprised when you see the movie.

Roger Ebert is a self-important jackass. What an idiotic review.

I'm going to see it tonight with my wife.

what you think?