Discerning potential husband?
[Image: 200437_10150464847520425_529170424_17524...8776_n.jpg]

Hi, all.  Upon the encouragement of several FE members, I am starting this thread.  I have no idea whether this will work in the least.  I am intending to show my desire to marry and willingness to be open to discernment of that vocation.  Anyway, I will be as open as modesty allows in public with my answers, but anyone is welcome to message me privately for clarification, or to add comments to this thread.  If I think it's imprudent to answer some public question, I will likely send the reply via private message.  Anyway, following the format of those before me, and opening myself to serious ridicule:

Age as of posting date: 27, will be 28 in a few months.

Familial background: Quite large paternal family of nominal "catholics".  Maternal family is all flavors of protestantism, and few of them are baptized.  Father and mother are now divorced.  My father is the primary caretaker for his parents aged parents.

Patron Saint by Confirmation: St. Jeanne la Pucelle

Number of children: None

Would you relocate if you met the right person?: Yes, I am not intellectually opposed to relocating, however, I would prefer to remain as a resident of the current city in which I live.

EF, SSPX, both, or other?: My preference is for the Extraordinary Form.

Ordinary Form if that's all there is?: As long as it is a valid Mass.

Introvert or extravert?: Extroverted, but always attempt to live modestly.

Keirsey personality type: I could care less.

Ethnic heritage: Baltic, mainly.  I do, like most Americans, have a varied ethnic background.  I find that the only bit worth mention is that which is certainly proven: my father's family is Baltic.

Is meeting someone of like ethnicity very important to you, just a bonus, or unimportant?: It's not important.  Orthodoxy is what is important.

Is there an ideal age range for the person you'd like to marry? How important is this?: Legal age is ideal.  haha!  Preferably someone who is my elder, so 28 + .  I am not opposed to men who are within two years younger than me, but there would have to be a very compelling reason to look much younger.  Age is fairly important, but not absolutely.

In what manner do you interpret the Church's approval of NFP?: Moderately.

What would the headship of the husband look like in your idea home?: Hopefully what Pope Pius XI teaches in Casti Connubii and what St. Paul teaches in his letter to the Ephesians.

How do you feel about women working outside the home?: I don't have any feeling about it whatsoever.  Though, I do think that beyond helping in a family business, it would seem to manifest a great failure to live well within one's station if a wife must take work outside the home.

How do you feel about women in trousers/pants?: No feeling whatsoever.  What I think about women wearing pants is that if it can be done modestly (i.e., they're not men's clothes and they're not advertising any of the goodies), then I have no problem with it.  I have a riding skirt that I have worn a couple times in the last year that I think would be a demonstration of women's pants that are modest.  

Of the seven deadly sins (pride, greed, gluttony, sloth, lust, anger, envy), which is the most challenging for you?:  Sloth takes the cake, I think.

What would others say are your annoying habits or bothersome attributes?: I've been told that I'm too clinical.  Though, I see that as a plus, myself. ;)

What are the most important things you desire in a spouse?: Orthodoxy and charity.  An explicitly defined rule of faith in conformity with the teachings of the First Vatican Council.  No fear of work, and a desire to work.  Enjoyment of similar legitimate leisure activities.  Desire for children.

Things you absolutely would not tolerate in a potential spouse: Heterodoxy and habitual grave lacking in charity.

What, if anything, have you learned from past relationships with the opposite sex?: Men are not masculine women.  Men are hardwired from the factory with specific desires and behaviours which women can complement.  While men and women have equal dignity as human beings, men and women are not interchangeable; a woman cannot do a man's job and a man cannot do a woman's job.

Political ideals: Subsidiarity and solidarity.

Education:  I am mainly educated privately.

Employment: None.  I do work daily, but it's not considered employment.  If anyone's interested in hearing more, just ask privately. :)

Health: Pretty well.

Allergies:  None

Smoke?: Never, I find it an abhorrent behaviour.

Drink?: Yes, I do like alcohol in general, but not beer so much.  Though I have nothing against people who do like to drink beer.

Night owl or morning lark?: Depends on the season.  In the summer, I like to be up early and stay up late.  In the winter, I like to sleep all the time...hahaha!

Favorite color(s): Black and red.

How messy or disorganized are you?:  I am organized, but in an unconventional way.

What makes you laugh?: Hyumah. Puns. Irony. Automobile tires that continue spinning after the vehicle has flipped...  My brother.

What are the little things that please or delight you?: On the sentient level: A man who really knows how to work a manual transmission.  The sound of a twelve gauge being shucked and fired.  The smooth feel of the trigger pull on a stainless steel revolver.  On the intellectual level they're only big things: Rationality, dignity, consistency, etc.

What would you like to be doing in 10 years ideally? Helping to raise a family, working in the machine shop as time allows and necessity demands, vegetable and fruit gardening, etc.

If you continue on your present course and don't meet the person of your dreams, what do you think you actually will be doing, given your gifts and goals?: The same thing I'm doing now.

Intellectual interests: Morality, dogma and doctrine, theology, Church history, philosophy, finance, etc.

Hobbies: Sewing and tatting.  I always have some project going.

Talents, what are you good at?: Tolerance and patience, I've been told.  As far as what I think, I think I'm good at hand-drawing and painting.  I also think I'm a fair photographer and photo-editer.  As far as practical skills go, I am a pretty good cook (I can cook or bake just about anything).  I know how to fold a fitted sheet nicely.  I am also told that I am very good at doing production unit costings.

Top 5 Favourite books of all time: The Creature from Jekyll Island, Christ the King, Lord of History, both Codices of Canon Law, The Catholic Controversy

The last 5 books you read (don't lie!): The Catholic Controversy, the Metals Handbook on acid pickling and passivation of stainless steel, one compilation of writings attributed to St. Teresa of Avila, half of a treatise by St. John of the Cross, I don't really remember beyond that...

Music you actually listen to most often: Pretty much anything that doesn't fall under muzak or contemporary country music...

Favourite movies/TV shows: Flushed away, Ratatouille, Shrek, Bolt, I think you get the idea...

Favourite foods: KUGELA!!!, abura age, Kitsune udon, KUGELA..hehe, umeboshi, tsukemono, rice of any kind (pretty much), salads, steak

Serious pet peeves: I don't know.  There are things that bother me, but I don't know if they're "pet peeves."

Pets you have, pets you desire, pets you'd put up with: I don't really like the idea of owning pets as it is generally done.  I would put up with pretty much any animal that either stayed outside or off of the furniture.  I would not be tolerant of an animal lying on a person's bed.  I also hate the image of a dog licking the face of a person.  That really disgusts me.

Where have you been?: USA, Canada, Mexico, Japan.

Do you play an instrument?: Several: piano, saxophone, clarinet.  I don't get a lot of time to do it nowadays, but I do like to play the piano.  I am not skilled at playing musical instruments, but it is very enjoyable to keep trying.  I sold my saxophone earlier this year since it is big (it's a tenor) and I was having trouble finding storage space for it.  I still have my clarinet, but don't get any real time to practice at it.  I can sightread sheet music fairly well, but I do not have perfect pitch in hearing.

Idea of a romantic evening: I've been told that I'm not overly romantic.  Quite honestly, I despise the notion as it's most often depicted in the contemporary media.  I think it would be quite romantic sitting together on the cliffs in the Big Blue campground in Colorado, looking down on the river and off onto the sky as the sun sets, then having a campfire for a bit, and ultimately retiring and reading together The Hobbit.  Something like that, I guess.

Why do you think you're still single?: Various reasons: a combination of the fact that I am fairly new in town, not the average of attractive by American standards, there are no eligible orthodox men which I know, etc.
Uh...here's some other photos:

[Image: 149146_10150353138605425_4218500_n.jpg]

[Image: 384500_10150964471050425_39585818_n.jpg]

[Image: 386025_10150460164330922_128665612_n.jpg]
Courage!  No one deserves ridicule for seeking to be happy and discern their vocation!

As I've said before, I'm probably in no position to look at marriage in the near future, but I always sympathize with those who are.  Prayers for you!
(06-09-2012, 02:30 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: Courage!  No one deserves ridicule for seeking to be happy and discern their vocation!

As I've said before, I'm probably in no position to look at marriage in the near future, but I always sympathize with those who are.  Prayers for you!

Are you willing to drop your minimum age by say... a further 6 years  :grin:?
(06-09-2012, 08:29 PM)City Smurf Wrote: Are you willing to drop your minimum age by say... a further 6 years  :grin:?

haha  :LOL:

What a tease you are!
There's no "ridicule" in this, Nicole! It alway takes courage to expose oneself to inquiry, especially when you're a woman.

I'm rooting for you! God bless!
(06-09-2012, 08:29 PM)City Smurf Wrote: Are you willing to drop your minimum age by say... a further 6 years  :grin:?

Well the way I read it all you have to do is give her a compelling reason! It's totally possible. My husband did it and I was staunchly no-younger-men.
(06-09-2012, 10:28 PM)wallflower Wrote: Well the way I read it all you have to do is give her a compelling reason! It's totally possible. My husband did it and I was staunchly no-younger-men.

That I couldn't give.  I'm not a very nice guy :P.
(06-09-2012, 10:22 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: There's no "ridicule" in this, Nicole! It alway takes courage to expose oneself to inquiry, especially when you're a woman.

I'm rooting for you! God bless!

Yeah, I admire the women brave enough to do this. I think I'd be too chicken.

On a side note, is that your brother? The both of you look so familiar to me. Have you lived in Kansas for quite some time? Maybe I have ran into you somewhere. Or maybe you both just look like people that I remember.  :LOL:  that's the far more likely possibility. Ha.