German Cockroaches
(06-10-2012, 04:48 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: Cheap hairspray isn't as toxic as bug spray, and it stops them, or at least slows them down considerably, so you can finish them off manually, with a paper towel, or what have you.  It works for flies, and bedbugs too.  Don't kill any spiders, though! 

Simple Green, too.  And it's easier to aim those bottles.  :grin:
Are you renting? Call the landlord and complain. You pay money to live there, right?

When I was in college I moved into a place that had them and was able to get rid of them. Yes to keeping everything clean and put all opened food in the fridge. Yes to borax.  Also open up your stove top and clean all the grease out from under there. I was told they can live for up to five years on the grease under stove tops alone.

I am told they can survive a nuclear holocaust.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(06-10-2012, 04:48 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: Don't kill any spiders, though! 

Or Scutigera coleoptrata.

If a house does not have spiders and Scutigera coleoptrata in it, it surely is sterile or infested.

Nothing is more comforting to know of the active army of tiny (ish) Terminators purposefully avoiding human interaction of all sorts (not interested in human food or waste at all, will hide at the slightest hint of human presence, and are nocturnal) while seeking out and destroying every pest (including spiders, but that is their own battle) they can find.

For the roaches, I would recommend finding food sources, points of entry, and possible areas of concentration.
A basket of kittens will help too.  Imagine all the fun they'll have chasing bugs across the floor! :LOL:
(06-10-2012, 05:17 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-10-2012, 04:48 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: Don't kill any spiders, though! 

Or Scutigera coleoptrata.

If a house does not have spiders and Scutigera coleoptrata in it, it surely is sterile or infested.

Nothing is more comforting to know of the active army of tiny (ish) Terminators purposefully avoiding human interaction of all sorts (not interested in human food or waste at all, will hide at the slightest hint of human presence, and are nocturnal) while seeking out and destroying every pest (including spiders, but that is their own battle) they can find.

For the roaches, I would recommend finding food sources, points of entry, and possible areas of concentration.

Wow, am I ever glad I googled this! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera_coleoptrata

You're right for the most part, Rosarium, but for one detail, according to Wiki:
Quote:In 1902, C.L. Marlatt, an entomologist with the United States Department of Agriculture wrote a brief description of the house centipede:

It may often be seen darting across floors with very great speed, occasionally stopping suddenly and remaining absolutely motionless, presently to resume its rapid movements, often darting directly at inmates of the house, particularly women, evidently with a desire to conceal itself beneath their dresses, and thus creating much consternation.

So, trad ladies, priests and religious, beware!
(06-10-2012, 03:46 AM)yablabo Wrote: Boric acid will do nicely for roaches and ants. :)  Just sweep it into the edges of your rooms, under the sink, in doorways, etc. (using some care, of course, since the stuff can cause intestinal upset in people and animals).  Best to read all the instructions and warnings on the bottle, and you can get a big bottle of the powder for like $2.00 at dollar general...

-- Nicole

This.  My roommates and I put the powder near and around any water pipes, nooks, and crannies.  Places where they might be hanging out but you won't be likely to breathe in by accident. Any food boxes in the cupboard we kept sealed within tupperware, and we washed dishes, dried them, and put them away immediately or else we found roaches eating and drinking off of them.  All of this kept them away pretty effectively.

Boric acid powder also works well against mice if you mix it with peanut butter and put it on a mouse trap.  Even if they escape the trap, they will become dessicated and you'll find a mummified mouse somewhere in a couple of days (no smell either).

Also, never live in Brooklyn if you can help it ;)
[Image: KILL-IT-WITH-FIRE-FUNNY-FORUM-PICS.jpg]

[Image: animated-gifs-insects-051.gif]
[Image: animated-gifs-insects-050.gif]

[Image: animated-gifs-insects-051.gif]
German cockroaches...those are the ones with the lightning bolts on their lapels, right?
what? not a single reference to Joe's Apartment? thats clearly the solution to your problem...