advice for a first-time drinker
If you like wine better, you can mix it half and half with a sparkling spritzer kinda drink, Fresca is best, or 7up works too.  It's easier to drink for the unitiated than beer, and easier on the system than straight wine.
Fresca?  Heh :-)

Here's are some good choices for when you've had a little experience:

http://www.bumwine.com/

Could you tell us if you generally like sweet/semi-sweet things?  If you will be drinking for the first time with a meal, or without - and what the meal, if any, will consist of (red meat, white meat, etc)?
Hello everywhere:

Thank you for all your suggestions! Yes, I will observe the precept of moderation (the road of excess leads to the palace of hang-overs!).

Gladius: I do indeed have a sweet tooth, and am not generally fond of bitter or acrid things. I believe the closest thing to spirited drinks I have had is the NyQuil, of which I have rather fond memories. I would indeed prefer a sweet-tasting drink. I have no idea whether I shall be dining or just have the drink by itself.

I am not planning any ritualistic drinking (rite of passage for most people I hear), or commemorating anything special. I just want to taste and see. I certainly do not wish to go to a "bar" or any such establishment which may be an occasion of sin for me.

--- Glastonbury

BaltimoreCatholic Wrote:You could probably stand to drink lots of water during your time as well, as this will prevent you from having a serious hangover.  If you do it in a 1:1 (water to alcohol) ratio, you should be fine.  Also, if you hurt yourself and need some sort of relief, aspirin will work (aceteminophen (Tylenol) and alcohol interact poorly with your liver, and ibuprofen (Advil) and alcohol crystalize in your bloodstream, aspirin just thins your blood).

Thank you ever so much for the very salutary advice! I shall thus advise my friends and acquiantances who are wont to drink a pint too much.

Of course, I know that deliberate intoxication is a mortal sin, and rightly so as it can be very dangerous.

--- Glastonbury
beer
beer[Image: waytogo.gif]
Marty Wrote:beer

Our friend Marty has posted twice - using a total of three (3) different letters! [Image: laff.gif] [Image: beer2.gif]
Whiskey!!!! No, I am just kidding. Have a glass of good Australian Shiraz.

Andy
glastonbury_thorn Wrote: I do indeed have a sweet tooth, and am not generally fond of bitter or acrid things. I believe the closest thing to spirited drinks I have had is the NyQuil, of which I have rather fond memories. I would indeed prefer a sweet-tasting drink. I have no idea whether I shall be dining or just have the drink by itself.

In that case, you should just buy some whiskey, and cut it heavily with 7up. (This is the drink I was raised on [Image: wink.gif]