The (cancerous) Growth of Islam
Gents,

Yes, we must stand up for God, His Church, and Truth, but should we willingly seek to make ourselves martyrs? I'm sure a group of us could fly down to Saudi Arabia and try to build a Catholic chapel there, but we might end up in jail or dead, leaving those who depend on us in a bad spot. If God wants us to be martyrs, I think He will clearly manifest this. We shouldn't seek anymore burdens, given that life is hard enough.
All those who stand for Christ shall be persecuted.

No one is saying fly to Saudi Arabia while screaming the Gospel in the airport at Riyadh, whipping people with a cord Rosary, and shooting Holy Water out of a Super Soaker 2000 (though, I'd totally pay money to see this).

But no one seems to be willing to allow that converted Saudi to stand up for his beliefs in the same if it will definitely lead to a swift death. He could be totally beheaded for just having converted without saying anything overt about it. All it would take is his wife or child to say something and he'd be hauled in to the shariah court, and if he stands on the strength of Calvary, he's dead. 

Do what you can handle, and in all things do them for Christ.

God forbid that I should glory, save in the Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ.- Gal 6:14

Two men whom I admire a lot, St. John and St. Anthony of Padua, both wanted Martyrdom and they did way more to warrant it than many who did achieve it- but they never achieved it.

Send me to jail? OK, so I have a captive audience to witness to. Thanks. Oh, and I can witness to the guards as well? Awesome!
(06-23-2012, 03:00 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: All those who stand for Christ shall be persecuted.

No one is saying fly to Saudi Arabia while screaming the Gospel in the airport at Riyadh, whipping people with a cord Rosary, and shooting Holy Water out of a Super Soaker 2000 (though, I'd totally pay money to see this).

But no one seems to be willing to allow that converted Saudi to stand up for his beliefs in the same if it will definitely lead to a swift death. He could be totally beheaded for just having converted without saying anything overt about it. All it would take is his wife or child to say something and he'd be hauled in to the shariah court, and if he stands on the strength of Calvary, he's dead. 

Do what you can handle, and in all things do them for Christ.

God forbid that I should glory, save in the Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ.- Gal 6:14

Two men whom I admire a lot, St. John and St. Anthony of Padua, both wanted Martyrdom and they did way more to warrant it than many who did achieve it- but they never achieved it.

Send me to jail? OK, so I have a captive audience to witness to. Thanks. Oh, and I can witness to the guards as well? Awesome!
Thats great Jon...but spare me the condescension as if im not willing to be persecuted for christ becasue I allow the bastards to steal their tarifs. Tax dodging isnt exactly martydom.
I'm not condescending, but if you are are saying you aren't willing to be persecuted for Christ when it's inconvenient though not blatant martyrdom in your face...

well, alright.

Tax dodging is not the issue, as tax dodging implies not paying for financial reason and selfish gain, which isn't the case here.

The Bishops should have started a tax strike the second Roe V Wade was pushed through SCOTUS. They didn't.

If I get sent to jail, promise to write me, k? :)
(06-25-2012, 09:01 PM)jonbhorton Wrote: I'm not condescending, but if you are are saying you aren't willing to be persecuted for Christ when it's inconvenient though not blatant martyrdom in your face...

well, alright.

Tax dodging is not the issue, as tax dodging implies not paying for financial reason and selfish gain, which isn't the case here.

The Bishops should have started a tax strike the second Roe V Wade was pushed through SCOTUS. They didn't.

If I get sent to jail, promise to write me, k? :)
Oh but I am and have been persecuted for my Lord...that is where you are being presumptious. But its okay.....your young and precosious ....however you better damn well write to me....if you go for prison trying to slay the federal leviathan...truly a noble cause...just not on my battlefield
Oh! Brother, no. I did not mean you are NOT being persecuted for Christ! Nor that you have never been! Goodness NO.

I'm not even saying to just turn off the computer and start shredding tax docs or something.

Definitely be prudent about the way you go about facilitating this if you do. Prudence in the steps could mean the difference between flustering the IRS and just getting snatched up at 3am, when no need existed for that extreme.

Never ever would I say that someone is not being persecuted or hasn't. How could I know? This is the internet.