Who is Benedict XVI - Catholic Family News
Marked for later viewing.
More anti-Pope propaganda? No thanks!
(06-18-2012, 05:29 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: More anti-Pope propaganda? No thanks!

Catholic Family News is sympathetic to the SSPX. The video refers to "Pope Benedict XVI," and CFN has put out articles against sedevacantism.
I'll take the challenge of defending him.

I'm a former Protestant -- my experience, which many (Protestant converts to Catholicism would echo) is that converting to Catholicism completed my faith, not replaced it (similarly how a Jewish convert would experience it)...I suspect that was what the then Cardinal Ratzinger was aiming at when he said "the Catholics do not insist on the desolution of the Protestant confession....but strengthened in their confessions and ecclesial realities".

....also the "new era of 1789" is a historical term which the modern era, separating it from the early modern era (1500-1700s)..hardly something controversial.

Provided, I'm not big fan of VII - I don't see why a Papal encyclical of "Syllabus of errors" (which isn't exactly an infallible statement) is held to held higher than a Council called and attended by most of the world's Bishops and Gaudium et Spes is not merely a document of VII, it's one of the 4 Constitutions of the Council.

I also find it quite strange that he would criticize Vatican 2 yet easily call Pope Pius IX Blessed (knowing full well it was a Vatican 2 Pope John Paul II that beatified Pope Pius IX.

Also, saying Joseph Ratzinger has been investigated for heresy means nothing -- St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Theresa of Avila were also (and St. Joan of Arc burned for it)
(06-18-2012, 06:22 AM)Sondaar Wrote: I'll take the challenge of defending him.

I'm a former Protestant -- my experience, which many (Protestant converts to Catholicism would echo) is that converting to Catholicism completed my faith, not replaced it (similarly how a Jewish convert would experience it)...I suspect that was what the then Cardinal Ratzinger was aiming at when he said "the Catholics do not insist on the desolution of the Protestant confession....but strengthened in their confessions and ecclesial realities".

History has already proven that what he wrote clearly, he clearly meant.

(06-18-2012, 06:54 AM)Stubborn Wrote:

Explain.
Reputation means NOTHING. For example, Cardinal Pell has long been said to be a staunch "conservative." That's all it is--a reputation. He publicly denied the existence of Adam and Eve, affirmed evolution, and said there is no need for faith in Christ to save your soul. So much for "conservatism."

People who merely like bells and smells and pretty vestments are easily fooled. They will be suckered into accepting the Universal Ecumenical Religion of Man.

By the way, I grew up Protestant. I would never in my life describe my conversion as "completing my faith." It was a new start from zero, and a purgation of everything I thought I knew. Out with the lies and bring in the truth, no matter how foreign it appears. That makes sense, since Protestants have no faith. All they have are opinions, emotions, and self-will. They believe blasphemous lies about the Mother of God and worship a false Christ invented by man.
(06-18-2012, 07:19 AM)charlesh Wrote: By the way, I grew up Protestant. I would never in my life describe my conversion as "completing my faith." It was a new start from zero, and a purgation of everything I thought I knew. Out with the lies and bring in the truth, no matter how foreign it appears. That makes sense, since Protestants have no faith. All they have are opinions, emotions, and self-will. They believe blasphemous lies about the Mother of God and worship a false Christ invented by man.
I didn't know you're able to speak for all Protestants?

As an Evangelical (what I was when I converted, though I grew up Calvinist) , I believed in the basic tenets of Christianity: The Divinity of Christ, the Inspiration of the Word of God, the Trinity, the one Sacrifice for sins, the Body of Christ (although it was not a concrete understanding) and the existence of sin, hell and the Devil.

When I became Catholic, my understanding expanded - I had a theology which build on these basic tenets - A Universal Church, the difference between justification and sanctification (which evangelicals don't always understand ) and a unbroken history to the time of Christ - So yes, it definitely completed my faith.
(06-18-2012, 07:12 AM)Sondaar Wrote:
(06-18-2012, 06:54 AM)Stubborn Wrote:

Explain.

Think Anglican Ordinariate to name only one. No abjuration of heresy required, just agree to agree with us - wouldn't want to insist on any desolution of their Protestant confession.