Lol - I (most likely) have a rather rare cutaneous disease!
Just posting cos I thought this was hard case....

Usually i work in the cutting room at a local meat works plant (although we've just gone on layoffs last week) but during the last few weeks of the lamb/mutton season I did some days over in the offal room, basically feeding sheep heads through the head splitter then opening them like oysters and scooping out the brains - another guy would then package them six to a box and we export them to France.

Thing is, though, when you open the heads up you often cut yourself on the edges of the bone (sawed bone is often quite sharp) and somehow one of the cuts I have developed into a weird looking blister-type thing with a darker spot in the centre.

Turns out, according to a doctor I spoke to today, that it is in all likelihood probably something called "orf" which is relatively rare to occur in humans - although if you're going to get it the meat industry is probably where you will get it.

What's even rarer though is that it normally occurs more often in the fellmongery as it's usually the skin that passes it on, but although I have spent some time in the fellmongery I already had the thing prior to that - it developed after doing brains as I mentioned. This makes it a little more unusual.

Just thought it was kinda cool lol. Something different, anyways....
Rub some colloidal silver into the wound.
(06-18-2012, 08:29 AM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: Rub some colloidal silver into the wound.

No, my snake oil is twice as potent and only half the cost!
(06-18-2012, 07:25 AM)Arun Wrote: Just posting cos I thought this was hard case....

Usually i work in the cutting room at a local meat works plant (although we've just gone on layoffs last week) but during the last few weeks of the lamb/mutton season I did some days over in the offal room, basically feeding sheep heads through the head splitter then opening them like oysters and scooping out the brains - another guy would then package them six to a box and we export them to France.

Thing is, though, when you open the heads up you often cut yourself on the edges of the bone (sawed bone is often quite sharp) and somehow one of the cuts I have developed into a weird looking blister-type thing with a darker spot in the centre.

Turns out, according to a doctor I spoke to today, that it is in all likelihood probably something called "orf" which is relatively rare to occur in humans - although if you're going to get it the meat industry is probably where you will get it.

What's even rarer though is that it normally occurs more often in the fellmongery as it's usually the skin that passes it on, but although I have spent some time in the fellmongery I already had the thing prior to that - it developed after doing brains as I mentioned. This makes it a little more unusual.
I never heard of that disease, and your work sounds unpalatable, but I hope you recover with no lasting effects.

Quote:Just thought it was kinda cool lol. Something different, anyways....
Catching something rare is neat (I suppose), but the real goal is to get something named after you.

Watch out for unlicensed practitioners of medicine too. The only safe (ish) fake medicine is homeopathic treatments because it is just water. Very expensive water, but water nonetheless.
(06-18-2012, 12:59 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-18-2012, 08:29 AM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: Rub some colloidal silver into the wound.

I guess that's why the medical industry utilizes it in bandages and surgeries? Time to go n boil your head again Rosie?
(06-18-2012, 02:07 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote:
(06-18-2012, 12:59 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

I guess that's why the medical industry utilizes it in bandages and surgeries? Time to go n boil your head again Rosie?

They do not use colloidal silver as far as I know. Silver has been used in medicine for a while to good effect, however, not the manner you suggest or in the form you advocate.

If you are using the medical industry as authority, I need you to confirm that before continuing any discussion. I have a feeling you are just selecting what you want and discarding the rest.
(06-18-2012, 02:12 PM)Rosarium Wrote: They do not use colloidal silver as far as I know. Silver has been used in medicine for a while to good effect, however, not the manner you suggest or in the form you advocate.

If you are using the medical industry as authority, I need you to confirm that before continuing any discussion. I have a feeling you are just selecting what you want and discarding the rest.

You realize CS is just silver particles in suspension right?

CL was regularly used until,in 1997, the evil FDA deemed it unsafe without any substantive or empirical evidence.Other countries use it however.Some surgeons generate CS on the fly during operations in the wound because of its anti-bacterial and bone healing qualities

A little History:

"Silver Re-Discovered

Not until the late 1800's did western scientists re-discover what had been known for thousands of years - that silver is a powerful germ fighter. Medicinal silver compounds were then developed and silver became commonly used as a medicine. By the early part of the 1900s, the use of silver was becoming widespread. By 1940 there were approximately four dozen different silver compounds on the market.

Although there were a few flare-ups of negative publicity regarding medicinal silver in the early 1900s, (due to the overuse of certain types of protein-bound silver compounds causing a discoloration of the skin called argyria and due to a supply of improperly prepared and unstable silver) reputable medical journal reports demonstrated that a properly prepared colloidal dispersion of silver was completely suitable with no adverse side effects. T. H. Anderson Wells reported in the Lancet (February 16th, 1918) that a preparation of colloidal silver was "used intravenously. . . without any irritation of the kidneys and with no pigmentation of the skin. "

New knowledge of body chemistry gave rise to the enormous array of applications for colloidal disinfectants and medicines and for on-going research into the capabilities and possibilities for silver colloids. However, Silver’s “new-found” fame as a superior infection-fighting agent was short lived.
How Silver Lost Favor

During the 1930s, synthetically manufactured drugs began to make their appearance and the profits, together with the simplicities of manufacturing this new source of treatment, became a powerful force in the marketplace. There was much excitement over the new 'wonder drugs' and at that time, no antibiotic-resistant strains of disease organisms had surfaced. Silver quickly lost its status to modern antibiotics. "

On-going Uses of Colloidal Silver

The use of some silver preparations in mainstream medicine survived. Among them are the use of dilute silver nitrate in newborn babies' eyes to protect from infection and the use of "Silvadine," a silver based salve, in virtually every burn ward in America to kill infection. A new silver based bandage has recently been approved by the FDA and licensed for sale. Other uses that did not lose favor include:

Silver water purification filters and tablets are manufactured in Switzerland and used by many national and international airlines to prevent growth of algae and bacteria.
    Electrical ionization units that impregnate the water with silver and copper ions are used to sanitize pool water without the harsh effects of chlorine.
    The former Soviet Union used silver to sterilize recycled water on their space vehicles.
    The Swiss use silver filters in homes and offices.
    Some U.S. municipalities use silver in treatment of sewage.
    In the Japanese work place, silver is a popular agent in the fight against airborne toxins as well other industrial poisons.
    Silver-infused bandages and wound dressings are now commercially available.
    Silver has been found to prevent the infection resulting from burns.

On-going Uses of Colloidal Silver

The use of some silver preparations in mainstream medicine survived. Among them are the use of dilute silver nitrate in newborn babies' eyes to protect from infection and the use of "Silvadine," a silver based salve, in virtually every burn ward in America to kill infection. A new silver based bandage has recently been approved by the FDA and licensed for sale. Other uses that did not lose favor include:

Silver water purification filters and tablets are manufactured in Switzerland and used by many national and international airlines to prevent growth of algae and bacteria.
    Electrical ionization units that impregnate the water with silver and copper ions are used to sanitize pool water without the harsh effects of chlorine.
    The former Soviet Union used silver to sterilize recycled water on their space vehicles.
    The Swiss use silver filters in homes and offices.
    Some U.S. municipalities use silver in treatment of sewage.
    In the Japanese work place, silver is a popular agent in the fight against airborne toxins as well other industrial poisons.
    Silver-infused bandages and wound dressings are now commercially available.
    Silver has been found to prevent the infection resulting from burns...

http://www.purestcolloids.com/history-silver.php

More info:

The evidence appears to support the theory that Colloidal Silver is highly effective
against all strains of pathogenic bacteria, while any one antibiotic is only effective
against a few certain bacterial strains. Furthermore, antibiotics have never been
effective against viruses, yeast or fungi. Yet, researchers are telling us that Colloidal
Silver has produced phenomenal results in tissue healing and reconstruction, as well
as reducing scar tissue in clinical tests. Severe cuts and wounds have healed in
much less time...

...Another line of research that has led to this change of thinking is described in the
best seller: "The Body Electric", in which Robert O. Becker, leading research scientist
in the field of bone regeneration, states: "The germ killing action of silver has been
known for some time. The Soviets use silver ions to sterilize recycled water aboard
their space stations. It kills even antibiotic-resistant strains, and also works on fungus
infections."
He goes on to say: "It stimulates bone-forming cells, cures the most common
stubborn infections of all kinds of bacteria, and stimulates healing in the skin and
other soft tissues." Certainly that is a broad statement, but Dr. Becker further relates
a fascinating story which would seem to substantiate his belief.
A man's broken right tibia and fibula refused to bond and the skin refused to heal
over a large area of the leg for a year and a half. The leg was infected with five kinds
of bacteria, all of which refused to respond to antibiotics. As a last resort before
amputation, Dr. Becker treated the condition with silver charged with a very minute
electrical current. This produced silver ions in the bone area and at the surface area.
"I debrided (cleaned) the wound, removing the dead tissue and all grossly infected
or dead bone. There wasn't much left afterward. It was an enormous excavation
running almost from his knee to his ankle. In the operating room, we soaked a big
piece of silver nylon in saline solution and laid it over the wound. We packed the
fabric in place with saline-soaked gauze, wrapped the leg, and connected the
battery unit."
People of the Lie: Colloidal Silver Patrick H. Bellringer http://www.fourwinds10.com 6
"About two weeks later", Dr. Becker tells us, "all of our bacterial cultures were
sterile -- all five kinds had been killed. The soft healing tissue, called granulation
tissue, was spreading out and covering the bone. In two weeks the whole base of
the wound, which had been over eight square inches of raw bone, was covered
with this friendly pink carpet. The skin was beginning to grow in, too, so we could
forget about the grafts we thought we'd need to do.
“I decided to take an X-ray to see how much bone he'd lost." He was expecting
the bone to start withdrawing before the knitting process began. "I could hardly
believe the picture. There was clearly some bone growth! I removed the cast, felt
the leg, and found that the pieces were all stuck together. John watched, and
when I was done, he lifted his leg into the air triumphantly."
After extensive experiments along these lines, Dr. Becker concluded: "Cells
exposed to positive silver ions profoundly stimulate healing in a way unlike any
known natural process. Whatever its precise mode of action may be, the
electrically generated silver ion can produce enough cells for blastomas; it has
restored my belief that full regeneration of limbs and other body parts can be
accomplished in humans."

http://www.center4cancer.com/pdf/colloidal-silver.pdf

Colloidal silver gaining ground as a proven, effective antibiotic remedy

"Colloidal silver, a liquid suspension of the metal silver, is currently a hot topic in the world of medicine. While alternative medicine praises its use as an antibiotic, mainstream medicine considers it somewhat of a poison. But colloidal silver is neither a poison nor a panacea: It is a safe and proven topical antibiotic that may cautiously be used internally.

In the nineteenth century, colloidal silver -- also known as Argentum colloidale, Argentum crede and collargolum -- was a prominent treatment for everything from colds to skin infections. In the 1940s, the FDA began its decades-long oppression of medicinal silver under the guise that it was unsafe; however, in reality, the FDA banned silver because of the threat it poses to the antibiotics industry, rather than any threat it poses for your body. If you'd like to learn more about the FDA's campaign against silver, be sure to download the Health Ranger's Commentary on Curad bandages made with silver. In his commentary, he not only praises Curad's new bandages, but also details how astounding their FDA approval is, given the FDA's historical campaign against the medicinal use of silver.

As you can see from Curad's new bandages, colloidal silver is a safe and effective topical method to fight infections. As Phyllis A. Balch and Dr. James F. Balch write in Prescription for Nutritional Healing, colloidal silver can safely and inexpensively protect you from infection in a wide variety of ways: "Topically, it can be used to fight fungal infections of the skin or nails and to promote the healing of burns, wounds, cuts, rashes, and sunburn. It can be used on toothaches and mouth sores, as eye drops and as a gargle to fight tooth decay and bad breath. It can also be used as sterilizer and can even be sprayed on air-conditioning filters and air ducts and vents to prevent germs from growing." In addition to those found in air conditioning vents, germs make many other aspects of our environment both unhealthy and bad-smelling. Colloidal silver, as a powerful antibiotic and antifungal agent, can make your environment just as healthy as it can make your body...

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/010038.html#ixzz1yAeM9HKd

(06-18-2012, 02:26 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: You realize CS is just silver particles in suspension right?

I know what "colloidal" means.

I also know that the silver used in medicine is not made by people at home with batteries. The best you can hope for is no ill effects, or if you get ill effects, you get the blue skin effect.
(06-18-2012, 02:35 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(06-18-2012, 02:26 PM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: You realize CS is just silver particles in suspension right?

I know what "colloidal" means.

I also know that the silver used in medicine is not made by people at home with batteries. The best you can hope for is no ill effects, or if you get ill effects, you get the blue skin effect.

Your ignorance is worn like a badge again.People go blue who rub Silver salts into their skin.CS has never made anyone blue (try and prove it).I suggest you research what is involved in making any kind of colloidal suspension.It ain't rocket science.
What are colloids?

"Colloids are common in everyday life. Some examples include whipped cream, mayonnaise, milk, butter, gelatin, jelly, muddy water, plaster, colored glass, and paper.

Every colloid consists of two parts: colloidal particles and the dispersing medium. The dispersing medium is the substance in which the colloidal particles are distributed. In muddy water, for example, the colloidal particles are tiny grains of sand, silt, and clay. The dispersing medium is the water in which these particles are suspended.

Colloids can be made from almost any combination of gas, liquid, and solid. The particles of which the colloid is made are called the dispersed material. Any colloid consisting of a solid dispersed in a gas is called a smoke. A liquid dispersed in a gas is referred to as a fog.

Read more: Colloid - examples, body, water, life, type, gas, parts, substance, Types of colloids, Properties of colloids http://www.scienceclarified.com/Ci-Co/Co...z1yAjDMYBA"

The electric current passed through high grade silver suspended in pure or distilled water simply acts as the method of dispersal. Colloidal silver is simply a liquid suspension of silver particulate in liquid.High grade store sold silver is produced in exactly the same manner as home-made varieties but to a different scale.