For Greater Glory (****Spoilers****)
(06-21-2012, 09:52 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(06-21-2012, 09:03 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: In the Prayer of the Faithful, here's one of our petitions for this Sunday. This comes from the archbishop's office:

THAT all government leaders may be transformed with God’s love so that they may stand firm for the religious freedom of all people: We pray to the Lord.

That all persons may be completely free to reject Jesus Christ and go straight to Hell, we pray to the Lord!

That we may live in a society where we can freely practice our religion and preach the gospel to the lost. We pray to the Lord!
(06-21-2012, 10:02 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(06-21-2012, 09:52 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(06-21-2012, 09:03 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: In the Prayer of the Faithful, here's one of our petitions for this Sunday. This comes from the archbishop's office:

THAT all government leaders may be transformed with God’s love so that they may stand firm for the religious freedom of all people: We pray to the Lord.

That all persons may be completely free to reject Jesus Christ and go straight to Hell, we pray to the Lord!

That we may live in a society where we can freely practice our religion and preach the gospel to the lost. We pray to the Lord!

You realize there's a difference between the Religion that God founded, which alone is salvific, and the religion(s) that men founded which invariably and inevitably lead a person to Hell.  To pray for a person's right to worship false gods.... my God, it's simply blasphemous.  I can't think of another word for it.  And in principle it's no different than the freedom to fornicate or murder.  It is a proven and declared damnable sin, idolatry.  It has no rights.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Well, that comes from the archbishop's office and we have to use it. Look, we're not saying "let everyone worship false gods! hooray!" as much as we're saying we don't want to see people persecuted for their religious beliefs. Personally, I thank God I'm a Catholic in America and not one in Egypt, Africa or the Middle East where Islam reigns...and believes itself to be the true religion.
We saw the movie last Friday. Fantastic! I took my two older teens to see it, but I wouldn't recommend it for younger teens or kids, at all (as the R rating shows). Too gory and violent.

I'm really disturbed by the reviews. They are, nearly every single one last I checked, dripping with hate (and I don't usually lean toward the melodramatic). I was even more interested in seeing it after I read the horrid reviews and then the corresponding flood of positive comments following them. I had to see for myself if they were really twisting this movie as much as it seemed they were. And, oh boy, were they ever. One reviewer complained that during the scene where the little boy, Jose, is in the tower and looks toward the hills the music swells...for nothing. No reason at all. We have no idea why the music swells. The director must have just been stupid to do that. See, the movie is stupid. Don't ya see it, huh? Huh? I couldn't wait to see the scene they were talking about. It went something like this: A young boy scrambles up to a higher place than he's used to, maybe a place he's not even supposed to be, kinda like a kid wandering up to the top of the Washington Monument and oversees the town for the first time. It is cool. The view was great. The music swells on a beautiful scene. So? It's a foil or an offset/lead up to the Federal troops riding over the hill in the next moment. Hmm. I guess the reviewer must have just been stupid to say that. See, the reviewer is stupid.

The reviews were hateful crap. I expected better. Apparently, I'm forever Pollyanna. When will I learn?