“We can not celebrate sin”
Vatican Cardinal refuses to celebrate the upcoming 2017 500th anniversary of the Reformation

Vatican Cardinal refuses to celebrate the [upcoming 2017 500th] anniversary of the Reformation

May 5, 2012

[The] head of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, Cardinal Kurt Koch refuses to celebrate the anniversary of the Reformation. According to the Cardinal, the 500th anniversary of the Reformation – the events that split the Catholic church can not be called a holiday. According to German site Kirchensite.de, Koch categorizes the date of coming as a “remembrance of the Reformation”.

“We can not celebrate sin” – said the cardinal, and added that he was aware of the fact that after this speech can be branded “anti-ecumenical”.
Good on Cardinal Koch!
I'll be celebrating the Protestant Revolution in 2045. 
Well good for Cardinal Koch.
Let's hope that five years down the line he sticks to his guns on this. Truly there is nothing to celebrate in an event so tragic for Western Civilization and might I add, for souls.
Very good.  Yes, I hope all of the Church higher-ups take this attitude when this thing rolls around.
The preamble "JOINT DECLARATION ON THE DOCTRINE OF JUSTIFICATION" seems to be already etched in stone (through the efforts of Cdl. Kasper and others (anybody can comment on this?).  I believe though that  the condemnations by the Catholic Church and the Lutherans at the Council of Trent are still valid and there is still a great divide.  I read somewhere that the Church as "partially" agreed (not sure if this is the right word) to the Lutheran dogma of "justification by faith ALONE."  I haven't found out the outcome of the talks between the Church and Lutherans.

NOTE:  Remember when John Paul II, who in 2000 apologized for the mistakes and sins of the Catholic Church for 2000 years, but at the same time he condemned the schism in the Christian world?
I was going to bring up the Joint Declaration.
(06-22-2012, 03:06 AM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: I was going to bring up the Joint Declaration.

Can you bring us up to date on this?
Vince, I haven't heard anything recent about it.