Study Finds People Who Believe In Heaven Commit More Crimes
(06-24-2012, 08:35 AM)Sondaar Wrote:
(06-23-2012, 05:21 PM)Might_4_Right Wrote:
(06-23-2012, 04:52 PM)Sondaar Wrote: Blah, blah, blah

Post hoc ergo propter hoc......

You must admit such a link is at least plausible.
I'm sorry if that sounded incredibly condescending - I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the academics who did the research.

The reason I wrote that was because it sounded like some the neo-Marxist "research" I've read about in Sociology, which was trying to prove religion as "the opium of the masses".

Thanks, no offense taken, and I'm sure one of the last things these researchers would want is for their research to be seen as a motivation for people to return to Traditional beliefs in hell.
(06-24-2012, 11:31 AM)Adam Wayne Wrote: From what you quoted from the study, I fail to see a causal relationship here. Perhaps it is explained in more detail within the link.

And I don't know if this makes sense, but lots of people who are convicted of crimes find God. Very often it is sincere and out of humility. Sometimes it's not and is used to pad their parole hearing resume.

Now in general, do I see a problem with this idea that many Catholics even as old, or older than myself thinks everyone goes to heaven? Yes I do.

But, I don't think it was proclaimed in the Council.

You know, every once in awhile I like to throw out the idea that this modern world may have existed in its current deplorable state even if the Tridentine Mass was not replaced. Don't count out the forces of darkness for getting people to compromise their beliefs or have them weakened no matter which Mass they may attend. Maybe the world, or we as Catholics, deserved to have the Mass of all ages taken away for a time. Maybe a fruit of Vatican II is to be able to blame the modernist heresies on the New Mass and the Tridentine was protected and preserved from taking the blame of all the modernist errors.

Just a little food for thought. It may in fact have been a blessing. God works in mysterious ways. Obviously.

Yeah, I agree with you, I don't think it was proclaimed in the council. I think this whole idea of downplaying hell was packaged in the whole spirit of Vatican II movement.

I have to admit, I like your idea of the modernist heresies getting blamed on the New Mass while the Traditional Mass remains pristine.