Supreme Court says it's OK to lie!!
(06-28-2012, 10:23 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(06-28-2012, 09:29 PM)Heinrich Wrote: The Supremes got this one right. A person's opinion of himself should not be illegal. A person has a right to say that he is a war hero in his own eyes, just as anyone is allowed to say that he is a good writer or thinker and award himself a prize for such.

You are dumb...but I didn't think you were that dumb. I want to see you voice this opinion to a bunch of Marines with combat experience. Not even a ruling from the Stupid Court would save your ass.

Wow, relax dude.  None of us are perfect, and I'm sure that none of us are in any kind of position to be calling anybody else dumb.  To each his own...

None of the marines I know are dumb hot-heads who would beat somebody's ass for voicing an opinion.  If you are somehow of that variety, why don't you go take care of it yourself.  "Not as lean, not as mean, but still a marine", right?
(06-29-2012, 01:25 AM)Steven Wrote: I think this was the right decision.  Specifically, why should military honours be protected, but not others?  For example, why should it be a crime for me to make up a story about earning a Purple Heart, but not a crime for me to make up a story about having been knighted in the Order of St. Patrick by the Queen of England?

Just a POI, there hasn't been a 'Queen of England' since Mary II died on 28 December 1694. Victoria was Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (and Empress of India, after 1 May 1876) and Elizabeth II has been Queen of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland since 26 March 1953.
(06-28-2012, 09:29 PM)Heinrich Wrote: The Supremes got this one right. A person's opinion of himself should not be illegal. A person has a right to say that he is a war hero in his own eyes, just as anyone is allowed to say that he is a good writer or thinker and award himself a prize for such.

You are dumb...but I didn't think you were that dumb. I want to see you voice this opinion to a bunch of Marines with combat experience. Not even a ruling from the Stupid Court would save your ass.

I've known a lot of Marines, not a few Special Forces NCOs and the occasional USN Seal and I don't think any of them are stupid enough to give a rat's ass about this matter. Let the bastards claim want they want. It's still illegal to wear the medals.
It's better this way...I can hardly see why making up a story about military service or medals should be illegal.

The best way to stop this kind of thing would simply to make the recipient lists available to the public...looking like a fool will be punishment enough.

Making a law on it is a bit unsavoury....
(06-29-2012, 03:29 AM)Titus Alba Wrote:

Wow, relax dude.  None of us are perfect, and I'm sure that none of us are in any kind of position to be calling anybody else dumb.  To each his own...

None of the marines I know are dumb hot-heads who would beat somebody's ass for voicing an opinion.  If you are somehow of that variety, why don't you go take care of it yourself.  "Not as lean, not as mean, but still a marine", right?

Darryl from Maine lives vicariously in a hero's world. He's lonely and needs justification. Pretending he is Master and Commander of the Red State Army of "MUHRICANZ!", aka Superrepublican Man, is something he takes seriously. The rest of us who have stable and content lives find it hilarious.
Not sure why this is a big deal.  Lying is a pretty tough thing to enforce a law against.

Lying is still a crime against God.  Why does the government need to criminalize it, unless you are trying to defraud others or otherwise use the lying to hurt someone?
The SCOTUS ruling was along the lines that this is a fraud law, and so needs to be written as such since it's not..

It goes beyond merely lying. These people now have on their side a SCOTUS ruling to literally hurt people. Rarely to never has anyone been scooped up when it was still "illegal" for merely being a retard and wearing medals, just for doing it. It always extends into fraudulent activity. These people lie to girlfriends who become fiances who become wives and THEN find out they married a total lie.

They often commit acts of fraud as part of the ruse.

I've never seen a Stolen Valor case where the person wasn't lying for gain of some sort. Even if it's just a lie, and they never wear something they didn't earn, they use these lies to defraud people by default. Job interviews, relationships, fundraising, etc. Entire communities have been victims.

Stolen Valor ain't a "white lie", it's costly to all who fall to the perpetrators of it.

Stolen Valor has nothing to do with free speech, because free speech is not knowingly lying with the logical next step being fraud.

Jovan- I'd ask those men you know what they think about Stolen Valor, and some jackhole wearing things he didn't earn, that their friends did earn by bleeding and dying for them. Some of THE BEST "outers" of these idiots is the Special Operations community. Don't rate a Trident/long tab/ etc and claim one? Whoa buddy. They'll find out things about a dude's life he didn't even know. And then blast the entire file on the internet.