Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul
(06-29-2012, 11:50 AM)Vincentius Wrote: The solemnity or Feast of St. Peter and Paul today, June 29, used to be a holyday of obligation, or was it?   It was or used to be in the Philippines, no longer I supposed because I have not heard one peep to honor the two of the greatest saints of the Church..  Today being a Friday, abstinence is excused because of the Solemnity.  I think feast is still observed in the Orthodox and Eastern Rite Churches.

Sancti Petri et Pauli, Orate Pro Nobis!

It is a Holy Day of Obligation for the Universal Church, but not so in the United States, for the Bishops have lifted the Mass requirement. I think this still means that one is obliged to abstain from servile works today, but I could be wrong about that. I did a quick search but cannot figure out if it has always been this way in the U.S.A. or is another recent innovation, a la dropping the obligation for some days on Saturdays & Mondays.

With the abstinence, under the 1983 Code, one is not bound to abstain on any solemnity. Traditionally, the abstinence is only lifted on a Holy Day of Obligation. I do not know how that would work with a day like today, for it is difficult to tell if today in the U.S. is a Holy Day of Obligation with the precept to assist at Mass lifted, or simply not a Holy Day at all. We need a canonist!

Messages In This Thread
Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul - by Vincentius - 06-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Re: Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul - by Josué - 06-29-2012, 04:29 PM
Re: Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul - by MRose - 06-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Re: Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul - by MRose - 06-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Re: Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul - by Cetil - 06-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Re: Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul - by MRose - 06-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Re: Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul - by MRose - 06-30-2012, 12:49 PM