Depression Meds or Vitamins?
(07-01-2012, 12:26 PM)Lee Timmer Wrote: Stop being so vague. Who are "they?" List the sources for your arguments. I went through nearly three years of trial and error - WITH NO MEDS - before I was given my first drug. What is your medical training?

I have Asperger Syndrome. For most of my teenage years, I had severe anxiety and depression among other health problems. Every doctor, psychiatric, and therapist immediately went for the drugs. They all prescribed different ones. I have an unopened bottle still of one from then, a bottle of drugs which has now been discontinued for people of the age I was because it was linked with a drastic increase in suicides.

The only chance came with a change in my lifestyle, a lifestyle which I maintain to this day. I went from near death to near perfect mental health WITH NO MEDS.

I do not like to write about myself in this manner or that I have Autistic Spectrum Disorder because it does not matter for Internet communication and most people become overly fixated on it, but you asked.

I would think that my longer experiences with living with Asperger Syndrome in this society and the stress which can arise from it should have some weight in this discussion.

I also think you should consider what I wrote. I addressed the underlying cause of the negative symptoms. It was a lot of work, effort, and it was difficult and not sure due to being alone in my efforts.

If I had, at that time, taken the drugs, the underlying cause (which is not universal, but it is a cause which was so basic and not even addressed) would have continued on and I would have died.

What is your medical training? Hold yourself to the standards you hold others. You are a patient, a person in need. You can endorse a method, certainly, but you do not have a position of authority in any sense.
(07-01-2012, 12:03 PM)Lee Timmer Wrote: , but they don't cure a chemical imbalance.

:LOL:  No such thing. Science has no clue what a "chemically balanced Brain" looks like. Heck.they don't even have a test for such a "diagnosis". 

Read this:

http://www.anxietyguru.net/the-chemical-...-it-exist/
In case my posts are lumped in with others, I advocate science. Real science. With real knowledge.

That is not how things work now in psychiatry in practice. Human psychology and neurology is extremely complex. It is barely addressed when a person goes to get help.

It is a big, profitable, business. There is little time for care.
For all the haters who said I don't have sources, you clearly didn't actually read what I wrote, and felt like ranting instead of doing the research.

I already mentioned Dr. Joel Wallach about 5 times, so go listen to his talks and read his medical papers, and also read about the 8 times he sued the FDA and won every time.

Dr. Peter Glidden is another great resource.

Drummerboy and Habitual Ritual got it right. One thing we know about chemical imbalances, they're caused by a lack of all 90 essential vitamins and minerals if they even exist at all. Period.

So the facts are out there, if you actually listen to some of the talks by those two doctors on Youtube, and also read their medical papers and the clinical studies they've performed. There are also pharmacological doctors who agree with this position as well, so just because you're not taking a synthesized artificial lab made pill doesn't mean it's wrong.

Cussing about what I said doesn't make you more right, it just makes you look ignorant.
Here's one video to tickle your fancy:

Heres doctor Wallach:

Research more, rant less.
(07-01-2012, 01:01 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(07-01-2012, 12:26 PM)Lee Timmer Wrote: Stop being so vague. Who are "they?" List the sources for your arguments. I went through nearly three years of trial and error - WITH NO MEDS - before I was given my first drug. What is your medical training?

I have Asperger Syndrome. For most of my teenage years, I had severe anxiety and depression among other health problems. Every doctor, psychiatric, and therapist immediately went for the drugs. They all prescribed different ones. I have an unopened bottle still of one from then, a bottle of drugs which has now been discontinued for people of the age I was because it was linked with a drastic increase in suicides.

The only chance came with a change in my lifestyle, a lifestyle which I maintain to this day. I went from near death to near perfect mental health WITH NO MEDS.

I do not like to write about myself in this manner or that I have Autistic Spectrum Disorder because it does not matter for Internet communication and most people become overly fixated on it, but you asked.

I would think that my longer experiences with living with Asperger Syndrome in this society and the stress which can arise from it should have some weight in this discussion.

I also think you should consider what I wrote. I addressed the underlying cause of the negative symptoms. It was a lot of work, effort, and it was difficult and not sure due to being alone in my efforts.

If I had, at that time, taken the drugs, the underlying cause (which is not universal, but it is a cause which was so basic and not even addressed) would have continued on and I would have died.

What is your medical training? Hold yourself to the standards you hold others. You are a patient, a person in need. You can endorse a method, certainly, but you do not have a position of authority in any sense.

I have no medical training, which is why I don't give advice to people telling them to drop their meds and leave everything in the hands of God. If you have AS, as I do, you know well that there are different spots on the spectrum that call for different treatment methods. As you know, Xanax is usually the only drug prescribed for anxiety. It helps me; it doesn't help some others. Please show me where I stated that I "have a position of authority." You won't find it. No, my "authority" comes from my diagnosis 17 years ago by a Catholic psychiatrist who also recommended prayer and lifestyle changes, which I followed and continue to follow. One of my best friends holds a PhD in psychology. He absolutely believes in chemical imbalances and also happens to be one of the most devout Catholics you'd ever meet. He teaches prayer, meditation, lifestyle, diet, and meds if necessary.

I'm sincerely happy for you that you can get by with AS using your method. I know how hard it is. But mix in a comorbid issue, such as my bipolar, and a typical AS meltdown will have people running for the door.
(07-01-2012, 01:22 PM)Lee Timmer Wrote: I have no medical training, which is why I don't give advice to people telling them to drop their meds and leave everything in the hands of God. If you have AS, as I do, you know well that there are different spots on the spectrum that call for different treatment methods. As you know, Xanax is usually the only drug prescribed for anxiety. It helps me; it doesn't help some others. Please show me where I stated that I "have a position of authority." You won't find it. No, my "authority" comes from my diagnosis 17 years ago by a Catholic psychiatrist who also recommended prayer and lifestyle changes, which I followed and continue to follow. One of my best friends holds a PhD in psychology. He absolutely believes in chemical imbalances and also happens to be one of the most devout Catholics you'd ever meet. He teaches prayer, meditation, lifestyle, diet, and meds if necessary.
Chemical imbalance is a cop out.

Where is the science? Where is the cause and effect?

This is not supposed to be a barbaric witch doctor based treatment, but one based on science. Reminds me of the theory of the humours. If they became imbalanced, the doctors would "balance" them (this is the basis for blood letting and other treatments).

Quote:I'm sincerely happy for you that you can get by with AS using your method. I know how hard it is. But mix in a comorbid issue, such as my bipolar, and a typical AS meltdown will have people running for the door.
As I wrote, I do not like talking about it on the Internet. I did not reveal all and I do not intend to.

But what I wrote still stands. Use science, reason, cause and effect.

To clarify, I am sure there are some imbalances, just like a person with dehydration has an imbalance of water and electrolytes and whatnot. But to treat it, it has to be understood if one is going to use potentially dangerous chemicals.

As it is, "how does it work?" when it comes to psychotropic medication usually starts with "It is thought..." or something.

(07-01-2012, 01:22 PM)Lee Timmer Wrote: I have no medical training, which is why I don't give advice to people telling them to drop their meds and leave everything in the hands of God. If you have AS, as I do, you know well that there are different spots on the spectrum that call for different treatment methods. As you know, Xanax is usually the only drug prescribed for anxiety. It helps me; it doesn't help some others. Please show me where I stated that I "have a position of authority." You won't find it. No, my "authority" comes from my diagnosis 17 years ago by a Catholic psychiatrist who also recommended prayer and lifestyle changes, which I followed and continue to follow. One of my best friends holds a PhD in psychology. He absolutely believes in chemical imbalances and also happens to be one of the most devout Catholics you'd ever meet. He teaches prayer, meditation, lifestyle, diet, and meds if necessary.

I'm sincerely happy for you that you can get by with AS using your method. I know how hard it is. But mix in a comorbid issue, such as my bipolar, and a typical AS meltdown will have people running for the door.

I didn't tell people to drop their meds, I just said they should. I can't order someone else around on here, but I think pharmaceutical drugs are way overused and they zombify people. Most of the time problems like these are spiritual, that's just my opinion and the opinion of priests I know, so take it or leave it. I'm not trying to question the holiness of your friend, but he obviously got his PhD in psychology, from Lord knows where, and from what modern non-Catholic thinkers who knows, probably doesn't have much philosophical training in scholastic circles, which used to be a pre-requisite for becoming a doctor.

The problem with modern psychology is that it's always trying to put a material answer for an answer that is usually philosophical or having to do with a faculty of the soul. Psychology these days has become modern man's philosophy, devoid of the immaterial; thus lacking as a true science because it rejects the hierarchy of science.

You should buy him Fr. Ripperger's book on Modern Psychology.

Why the heck anyone would take Xanax is beyond me, anxiety is caused by spiritual problems not by "chemical" problems. Modern psychology is a load of garbage for the most part, it is constantly trying to assign chemical problems to problems which are immaterial appetites of the soul getting out of control.

I was diagnosed with ADHD or whatever you want to call it when I was pretty young by a psychologist, like 8 or 9 and took it all the way up til I was 16. It wasn't until I started going back to confession and mass that I realized it was a spiritual problem and not a chemical imbalance. I haven't needed the meds since. Why do I need meds to behave and concentrate in society? I don't. I need Our Lord Jesus Christ and strength of the will, and good nutrition and lifestyle habits. Since some children are not Catholic, they will probably not get this grace, so the next best thing is vitamins and minerals and proper lifestyle, and it has been shown that kids who get proper nutrition do not have these problems.

I see a lot of people here who take anti-depressants already, and just from reading the posts, you all have become very defensive about it, which to me shows that you are attached to the pills and are using them as a crutch to not take control of your own actions. That's just my opinion on depression.
It's weird.I never heard of Bipolar growing up in Ireland and in my early adult years I always associated the term with Americans as I never heard of anybody but Americans having this disorder.Just found this.sounds like a societal issue more than anything else if you ask me:

Americans More Likely To Have Bipolar Disorder Than Anybody Else In The World

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/218670.php

Confirmation of a disease of society or just mass misdiagnosis? I really don't know at this stage but the greed for pushing meds has resulted in all manner of "new" illnesses.

Bipolar's Alarming Increase

http://www.metrokids.com/MetroKids/May-2...-Increase/