Now they are really "playing God"
(07-01-2012, 01:32 PM)CatholicLife Wrote: We need a good chastisement. 

Hey, be careful with that word..."we".

I'm not sure how well I understand this.  If a doctor can help repair a woman's eggs by injecting genetic material from another woman's eggs, presuming all the eggs in question are unfertilized, I don't see how that's necessarily immoral.  Disturbing, no question.  But I'm not sure of the principle that would make it immoral.

I realize this is somewhat different, but normal people have DNA from not just one man and one woman, but from the full line of their ancestors, all the way back to Adam and Eve.

And again, if a pregnant mother receives a blood transfusion, her child could have a third person's blood running through his veins.

I don't want to defend this, but I do think that I have an imperfect idea of just what exactly the problem is in this case, other than the general tendency toward genetic manipulation of humans, and the very scary fact that the scientist in question did all of this illegally.  I wonder if this is a test balloon to let him see if he could get away with making clones?
(07-01-2012, 02:13 AM)Hawaii Five-0 Wrote:
(06-30-2012, 11:24 PM)Vincentius Wrote: Jacques Cohen is regarded as a brilliant but controversial scientist who has pushed the boundaries of assisted reproduction technologies.

Why am I not surprised that this "brilliant but controversial scientist" is named Cohen, which in Hebrew means priest?  Sounds like he is well on the way to making himself some golem!  I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that Dr. Cohen is into Kabbalah. 

People named Cohen are not necessarily religious or interested in mystical practices so I would not bet on this Dr. Cohen being into Kabbalah.  His having had the chutzpah to do this makes me think it more likely that he'd laugh at the suggestion that he's into Kabbalah. 

His first name is French so the French connection could be the real answer.  :grin:

(07-01-2012, 08:40 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: I'm not sure how well I understand this.  If a doctor can help repair a woman's eggs by injecting genetic material from another woman's eggs, presuming all the eggs in question are unfertilized, I don't see how that's necessarily immoral.  Disturbing, no question.  But I'm not sure of the principle that would make it immoral.
Science using the tissue of people, such as unfertilized eggs, can be done without violating ethics. However, that is not the problem. It was the fertilization outside the body and the interference with the generation of humans according to nature.

Quote:And again, if a pregnant mother receives a blood transfusion, her child could have a third person's blood running through his veins.
It is not a part of the genetic makeup.

Quote:I don't want to defend this, but I do think that I have an imperfect idea of just what exactly the problem is in this case,
In vitro fertilization:

CCC Wrote:Techniques involving only the married couple (homologous artificial insemination and fertilization) are perhaps less reprehensible, yet remain morally unacceptable. They dissociate the sexual act from the procreative act. The act which brings the child into existence is no longer an act by which two persons give themselves to one another, but one that "entrusts the life and identity of the embryo into the power of doctors and biologists and establishes the domination of technology over the origin and destiny of the human person. Such a relationship of domination is in itself contrary to the dignity and equality that must be common to parents and children."

Quote:other than the general tendency toward genetic manipulation of humans, and the very scary fact that the scientist in question did all of this illegally.  I wonder if this is a test balloon to let him see if he could get away with making clones?
This is the genetic manipulation of humans...

Isn't the Daily Mail a tabloid of the "highest" order?  I would think we would be questioning the veracity of these claims, if so...
What's truly evil aren't the genetic modifications but the murder of innocent human life. IVF entails the creation of multiple embryos in a Petri dish; the "least fit" ones are destroyed, while only the "healthiest" or "most desirable" embryos are implanted. And usually they try to implant multiple embryos at once in order to higher the efficiency of implantation. After the multiple embryos develop into fetuses, selective reduction methods are utilized to kill off the "least fit" fetuses. Truly sick and evil.