Today's Gradual and EENS
I John 5:5, 7-8
This is He who came in water and in blood, Jesus Christ: not in the water only, but in the water and in the blood.
V. There are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these Three are One. And there are three that bear witness on earth: the Spirit, and the water, and the Blood; and these three are one.

Can we deduct anything from these verses regarding the BOD discussion ?
(07-01-2012, 02:51 PM)Whitey Wrote: Can we deduct anything from these verses regarding the BOD discussion ?
It depends on the tax code, but I doubt it.

I think you meant "deduce".

The Haydock commentary gives:

Quote:Ver. 8. And there are three that give testimony on earth: the Spirit, the water, and the blood; and these three are one.[3] This is a repetition of what was before said, ver. 6, to be expounded in the same manner. But when it is added, these three are one, the sense is, that they witness one and the same truth. (Witham) --- As the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, all bear witness to Christ's divinity; so the spirit, which he yielded up, crying out with a loud voice upon the cross, and the water and blood that issued from his side, bear witness to his humanity, and are one; that is, all agree in one testimony. (Challoner)

We are washed in the blood of the Lamb. John's baptism was water only.
(07-01-2012, 07:09 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: We are washed in the blood of the Lamb. John's baptism was water only.

It's only His blood that redeems us - never just our own.
(07-01-2012, 07:26 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(07-01-2012, 07:09 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: We are washed in the blood of the Lamb. John's baptism was water only.

It's only His blood that redeems us - never just our own.

We cooperate.