Head of CDF on record: Four SSPX bishops should resign and close their seminary
(07-05-2012, 05:24 PM)JMartyr Wrote:
(07-05-2012, 04:53 PM)lumine Wrote:
(07-05-2012, 04:18 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: From Bishop Williamson's letter - Theological study of the consecration of four bishops in Econe - April 2, 1999

Quote:Notice however that whosoever disobeys in an emergency is disputing neither the authority nor its lawful exercise, but merely its unlawful exercise. He is not judging the lower law to be bad but merely inapplicable in the given emergency. Thus Archbishop Lefebvre contested the Pope's right to control episcopal consecrations not in general, but only in the particular emergency of the grave need of souls for the Society of St. Pius X to survive his own imminent death. The Church's supreme law is the salvation of souls, to which the law of papal primacy must, if necessary, give way. The Catholic's supreme virtue is charity, not obedience.

I like this quote.

And, he makes a good point. 

There are very traditional Catholics who wouldn't think of receiving sacraments from priests and bishops who have no authority from the pope to administer them. 
Who cares what they / you think?

I'm not looking for someone to care what I think.  It is just quite ironic that so many people who consider themselves traditional Catholics hold the SSPX in higher regard than they do the papacy.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Head of CDF on record: Four SSPX bishops should resign and close their seminary - by lumine - 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM