I get NOTHING out of Mass on Sunday
So my three year old son is a complete nightmare at Mass. He continuously talks, tries to run around, gets loud, and I spend all of my energy at Mass just trying to get him to calm down and be quiet. It's VERY frustrating and I can't pay any attention during Mass at all on Sunday. The only time that I can actually get something out of Mass is if I go to daily Mass by myself during the week. My question is this, is it ok if I go to Sunday Mass alone while my wife watches the kids, and then she go alone while I watch the kids? I kinda would feel bad about that though cause I feel like they are Catholics too, even though they are young, so they should be at Mass. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Is there a cry room at your parish?

The other option is you could ask him if this rag smells funny. (JK! I'm not suggesting you chemically pass your kids out)
Not to demean your struggle, but perhaps it requires a shift in attitude in the way you look at attendance at Mass. Are you going to get something out of it, or are you going to give something? The Mass is your opportunity to give to the Triune God the one gift that man can offer that is truly worthy of Him, i.e. the sacrifice of the Son of God. Unite your struggle with the sacrifice upon the altar. That is the means that God is giving you right now with which to worship Him. What you will "get" out of Mass may not be apparent to you, but if you concentrate on what you are giving, the getting will be abundant, if not immediately tangible and sensible.
While taking the kids to Mass is great, it isn't required.  They aren't bound to attend Mass every week until they reach the age of reason (seven).  Your call, though.

And please remember that you DO get something out of Mass.  Sacramental grace.  :)
Rbj hit the nsil on the head
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
It is important that your children fear you as well as love you. My kids are good in Church because they know what would happen if they got out of line.
(07-08-2012, 06:38 PM)paul11b Wrote: So my three year old son is a complete nightmare at Mass. He continuously talks, tries to run around, gets loud, and I spend all of my energy at Mass just trying to get him to calm down and be quiet. It's VERY frustrating and I can't pay any attention during Mass at all on Sunday. The only time that I can actually get something out of Mass is if I go to daily Mass by myself during the week. My question is this, is it ok if I go to Sunday Mass alone while my wife watches the kids, and then she go alone while I watch the kids? I kinda would feel bad about that though cause I feel like they are Catholics too, even though they are young, so they should be at Mass. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Talk to your pastor. Those with family to care for do not have to attend Mass.

Perhaps there is some psychology, with conditioning (most likely, accidentally rewarding children for bad behaviour), but if it is too difficult to manage at this age, it would be better to avoid having to deal with it until the child is old enough to understand what is expected.
(07-08-2012, 06:53 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Rbj hit the nsil on the head
Snoop DO double G
(07-08-2012, 06:38 PM)paul11b Wrote: So my three year old son is a complete nightmare at Mass. He continuously talks, tries to run around, gets loud, and I spend all of my energy at Mass just trying to get him to calm down and be quiet. It's VERY frustrating and I can't pay any attention during Mass at all on Sunday. The only time that I can actually get something out of Mass is if I go to daily Mass by myself during the week. My question is this, is it ok if I go to Sunday Mass alone while my wife watches the kids, and then she go alone while I watch the kids? I kinda would feel bad about that though cause I feel like they are Catholics too, even though they are young, so they should be at Mass. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Are there any Byzantine Catholic churches nearby?  There is so much going on during the liturgy, kids are usually distracted enough by what's going on that they don't act up too often.
(07-08-2012, 06:49 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: While taking the kids to Mass is great, it isn't required.  They aren't bound to attend Mass every week until they reach the age of reason (seven).  Your call, though.

And please remember that you DO get something out of Mass.  Sacramental grace.   :)

Indeed, OC.

How far away from Mass are you? Paul11b, Can you and your wife take turns at different Masses? My mom had five in seven years, and she used to love to go to Mass all alone, or just with the older ones for a little peace and prayer.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.