July 9-14, SSPX General Chapter 2012: News
(07-10-2012, 09:19 AM)FHM310 Wrote:
(07-10-2012, 06:07 AM)tmw89 Wrote: FHM310, the latter quoted portion of your post was very interesting, thanks for that.  Mind my asking your source on that?

It was posted here.  Apparently the author wished to remain anonymous.

I suppose it could have been anybody. They seem well versed in Canon Law, primarily citing the 1917, but even adding reference to the new code, so I would expect it was someone within the SSPX. Could have even be Bp Williamson laying out his own defense since a "trial" seems to be a foregone conclusion :)

In all seriousness, this thread highlights the primary miring weakness that the society has failed to extract itself from officially - its founder and all its religious were suspended by the Newchurch, it leaders have no ecclesiastical authority or jurisdiction, and members do not take binding vows that only the SSPX superior can dispense. The leaders of the SSPX have always claimed more authority and control than they actually have.

I saw  a note the other day lamenting that this conflict within the SSPX as so lamentable, that the negotiations with Rome have created such a rift, etc. Actually the conflict already existed, people's opinions were already divided, these arguments have been simmering since official dissolution of the SSPX in 1975 and the suspensions in 1976. It is a 36 year-old argument that is coming to a head now because the past theological position and way of life is not sustainable. I see these current events as good news because internal union within the SSPX can only be achieved when the cause of discord is recognized and properly addressed.

Messages In This Thread
Re: July 9-14, SSPX General Chapter 2012: News - by Aenigmata in Tenebris - 07-10-2012, 12:52 PM