The Huge Censer in the Church of Santiago de Compostela
I wonder if you can say Mass ON it.
(07-14-2012, 02:12 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: And what's with the applause at the end? I bet a lot of people left once the priest began to speak.

Just makes me CRINGE to hear applause in Church like that... Sigh! Wish the Bishop would put a sign up outside telling people not to clap after the "Really Big Show". Alas.
(07-14-2012, 06:20 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(07-14-2012, 02:12 AM)MorganHiver Wrote: And what's with the applause at the end? I bet a lot of people left once the priest began to speak.

Just makes me CRINGE to hear applause in Church like that... Sigh! Wish the Bishop would put a sign up outside telling people not to clap after the "Really Big Show". Alas.
This.

Actually I saw another version where the Holy Father was there. He didn't seem to show much expression, except at the beginning, where it looked like he was thinking, "I sure hope these guys know what they are doing..."  And unfortunately, everyone applauded at the end. They should show some respect.
(07-14-2012, 01:13 PM)LoyalVIews Wrote: I wonder if you can say Mass ON it.

Probably. It must have its own zip code.

Tell me about it. Catholic traditions are now quaint sideshows?
I am surprised that red necks don't do this with their friends at summer barbeques. Tie the to the limb of a tall tree and swing them.
(07-15-2012, 07:57 AM)ggreg Wrote: I am surprised that red necks don't do this with their friends at summer barbeques. Tie the to the limb of a tall tree and swing them.
Wait. Are we swinging the friends or the BBQ?
Friends. No red neck would risk the ruination of BBQ.
I was showing a friend (a Coptic Christian) this video, and she was laughing through the whole thing. We were discussing why the Spaniards are such crazy Catholics. Since the Copts are under such terrible oppression from the Muslims in Egypt, she thought it might be because the Spanish were under Muslim oppression for so long. When the Moors were finally driven out of Spain, they went Catholic-crazy. They built the biggest churches and cathedrals. They did everything bigger, better and more militant and fervent just to really celebrate that they were a true Christian nation. It seems only natural that they would also want to have the world's largest thurible (censer).

She thought the Copts would probably do the same thing (or bigger and crazier) if the Muslims were driven out of Egypt. They would want to build a Cathedral so big, it would be seen from Mecca.
(07-13-2012, 11:51 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Fits in well with the 18 inch hosts they like to use at the NO.  I saw one pic of a Mass in France where they used a chalice that was I would guess at least 10 gallons.  I kid you not. 

I don't think the NO crowd know what liturgical incense is!. Except the Buddhist incense they use in their incense bowls, while their dancing around like pagans in California like they do at Stonehenge. :LOL: