Hardrock-Mass
Quote:How is it that isolated statements taken from Pope Gregory XVI, Pope Pius IX, et al. do not give scandal as easily, if even at all?

Indeed, indeed.

Obviously, Father is misguided, wrong, harming the faith, and in serious need of correction. But  -- that's hard rock? Nah, this is hard rock:

(07-18-2012, 09:53 PM)JayneK Wrote: Orthopraxis is based on orthodoxy.  At its worst, the concern for the poor overshadows the love of God. Orthopraxis dominates orthodoxy.  

Yes.  Interesting that (if memory serves) in the interview, he made no effort to defend the orthodoxy of Fr. Gutierrez, only his orthopraxy.

Orthodoxy is awfully outdated anyway, it would seem.

Here's another thing I want to know.  You keep making the claim that the appointment of Muller demonstrates a desire to crack down on dissident bishops.  Where on earth do you get that from?
(07-17-2012, 08:47 PM)JayneK Wrote: You can't compare the Latin Mass which has his full approval with a Mass that is violating the rubrics.

Last time Ratzinger has said a TLM?

And last I heard, all B16 is trying to do is modernize the TLM.  I don't think you change and futz with a Mass you fully approve of.
In that case, wouldn't we have to say that quite a few pre-VII popes also didn't fully approve of the Mass? It'd be kind of odd to say that Pope Ss. Gregory the Great and Pius V didn't approve of the traditional Mass.
(07-18-2012, 11:35 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: In that case, wouldn't we have to say that quite a few pre-VII popes also didn't fully approve of the Mass? It'd be kind of odd to say that Pope Ss. Gregory the Great and Pius V didn't approve of the traditional Mass.
Bad analogy.
(07-18-2012, 09:39 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: Why do you have to be so black and white?
How judgmental.  How un-ecumenical of you.

I know it seems strange in this day and age, but there actually is long-standing precedent:

Gott sah, daß das Licht gut war. Da trennte Gott Licht von Finsternis.  Gott nannte das Licht Tag, die Finsternis aber Nacht. Es ward Abend, und es ward Morgen: ein Tag.-- Gen. I:4-5
(07-18-2012, 11:49 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote:
(07-18-2012, 09:39 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: Why do you have to be so black and white?
How judgmental.  How un-ecumenical of you.

I know it seems strange in this day and age, but there actually is long-standing precedent:

Gott sah, daß das Licht gut war. Da trennte Gott Licht von Finsternis.  Gott nannte das Licht Tag, die Finsternis aber Nacht. Es ward Abend, und es ward Morgen: ein Tag.-- Gen. I:4-5
sehr gut. :)
(07-18-2012, 11:37 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(07-18-2012, 11:35 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: In that case, wouldn't we have to say that quite a few pre-VII popes also didn't fully approve of the Mass? It'd be kind of odd to say that Pope Ss. Gregory the Great and Pius V didn't approve of the traditional Mass.
Bad analogy.

How?
(07-19-2012, 12:39 AM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(07-18-2012, 11:37 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
Bad analogy.

How?
Because the NO did not emerge/evolve as fruit of centuries of Catholic tradition as did the TLM.

The NO is a man made, man-centered mass. 2 years in the making, 50 years in the devolving of liturgy.

There is no comparison. There should be no comparison.