When was original sin removed from OT saints?
(07-23-2012, 12:36 PM)Walty Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 08:38 AM)Melkite Wrote: Aquinas was wrong about the immaculate conception, he is wrong about this as well. 

We know he is wrong about the Immaculate Conception because it was infallibly stated so.  I suspect that St. Thomas holding a heterodox view on the IC was part of the reason that it was stated ex cathedra.

I know that you're not a big Thomist, Melkite, but this issue is not analogous and it is the case that, given things like Aeterni Patris, Catholics don't really have much a leg to stand on when arguing with Thomas where the Church has not also done so.

I think we can agree that Thomas doesn't state something lightly.  Do you have an equally thoughtful argument against the efficacy of circumcision? 

I don't know that you'd consider it equally thoughtful, but I've already stated it.  Both Jewish men and women went to Hades prior to the resurrection.  Those who received circumcision, and those who didn't, suffered the same fate.  That alone proves that, if original sin alone separates man from God, then circumcision had no effect on one's spiritual state, since receiving circumcision prior to Christ in no way saved one from the fate of original sin.

If, as the Thomists state, that God saved men through their faith and circumcision, but women only through their faith, doesn't setting up such arbitrary conditions for one person but not the other kind of contradict the simplicity of God?  Either faith is the requirement, or it's not, but it can't be the requirement for some and not for others.

Messages In This Thread
Re: When was original sin removed from OT saints? - by Melkite - 07-23-2012, 01:16 PM