When was original sin removed from OT saints?
(07-23-2012, 10:35 PM)Melkite Wrote: I get your point and think it would actually be a good one if theology was something that could be proven.  Euclid and Newton came up with mathematical and scientific rules that have stuck and been proven to be correct.  They're can be replicated.  You can't do that with theology, you either believe it is true or you don't.  It would be easier to prove that there was a black hole inside every cruise ship in the Caribbean than it would be to prove God instituted circumcision and that it actually has any effect on original sin.

I can appreciate the idea of having one huge collection of theology so students have one source to go to, but theology doesn't work like that.  Aquinas is a scholastic.  Scholastic theology doesn't work for everybody, and just translating it into Greek won't remove a particular thought process that the theology is dependent upon.

Reason isn't always about mathematical proof. Don't you reason about Scripture (which theology is based on)?  Why do you argue in this forum?  Don't you think some arguments are better than others, and more worth remembering?  Are truths about religion just "whatever works", whatever appeals to you? Is it all just subjective?

We can reject reasoning about Catholic truths just because "it doesn't work for us",  but then we aren't using our greatest gift, our intellect, as God meant us to use it.  St. Thomas - and other good theologians - are using that gift.  Of course they are not infallible.  But we do wisely to build on their thinking, not throw it away whenever it does not appeal to us.  Surely that is what God wants.

Messages In This Thread
Re: When was original sin removed from OT saints? - by Doce Me - 07-23-2012, 11:41 PM