Which pre VII, Pope wrote the best (as in most readable) encyclicals?
(07-21-2012, 02:53 AM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 01:42 AM)Vincentius Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 01:25 AM)Gerard Wrote: Just a question for discussion.

I'm not so much curious about who wrote the most important encyclicals, "Pascendi" "Humani Generis" "Rerum Novarum"  but actually which Pope wrote or signed onto encyclicals with the most literary flair or which had the most individual personality.

That should be easy ... I nominate all the popes who wrote and signed encyclicals using the plural "WE" rather than the personal "I" which has been in used since John Paul II.  Even Pope Paul VI wrote using "We" in his addresses.  There is a vast significance in distinguishing between these two pronouns.  The "I" to me appears arrogant.  There is more humility in "We."  You can disagree with me, np.
Anyone notice that Benedict XVI used "WE" in the Motu Proprio but, everywhere esle uses I?

As was pointed out, the Popes have not stopped using the plural 'we'/'our' in their encyclicals in the original Latin. The English translators substitute the singular 'I' for it however.
(07-21-2012, 03:19 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-21-2012, 02:53 AM)The Dying Flutchman Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 01:42 AM)Vincentius Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 01:25 AM)Gerard Wrote: Just a question for discussion.

I'm not so much curious about who wrote the most important encyclicals, "Pascendi" "Humani Generis" "Rerum Novarum"  but actually which Pope wrote or signed onto encyclicals with the most literary flair or which had the most individual personality.

That should be easy ... I nominate all the popes who wrote and signed encyclicals using the plural "WE" rather than the personal "I" which has been in used since John Paul II.  Even Pope Paul VI wrote using "We" in his addresses.  There is a vast significance in distinguishing between these two pronouns.  The "I" to me appears arrogant.  There is more humility in "We."  You can disagree with me, np.
Anyone notice that Benedict XVI used "WE" in the Motu Proprio but, everywhere esle uses I?

As was pointed out, the Popes have not stopped using the plural 'we'/'our' in their encyclicals in the original Latin. The English translators substitute the singular 'I' for it however.

REALLY! I didn't see that post. But why do they translate it to I?
Leo XIII. We are blessed that he wrote so much and with so much clarity.
Leo XIII

Another thing, you read him and you have to say, "that's dripping with scholasticism".