"Running of the Saints" - custom in San Diego and Italy
St. Anne Church (FSSP) in San Diego is having a fiesta this weekend (7/21-7/22, around the feast of St. Anne 7/26) at which they host their 3rd annual "Running of the Saints" (at 3PM 7/22). It is an unusual Catholic custom started in Gubbio Italy in the Middle Ages. 

See the videos for the race in San Diego: (in 2010) and in Gubbio, Italy:

If you happen to be in the San Diego area on Sunday, come join in the fiesta and race. A solemn Mass (with Gregorian Chant) will be said at 11AM Sunday.
Quote:http://cal-catholic.com/wordpress/2012/0...he-saints/

Annual Running of the Saints
A new tradition
July 3, 2012

From previous year’s event

St. Anne Catholic Church, located in Logan Heights, minutes from downtown San Diego, will celebrate its decades-old annual fiesta Saturday and Sunday, July 21 and 22.  The fiesta is like typical church festivals with food, games and entertainment. But this fiesta revolves around the  Running of the Saints, a religious procession dating from the twelfth century in Gubbio, Italy.  The Running takes place at 3:00 pm Sunday, July 22.

The procession or running involves two 40-man teams that run the neighborhood streets carrying 300-pound biers bearing six-foot pedestals crowned with statues of St. Anne and St. Michael the Archangel.  The challenge of the Running is buttressing the weight of the bier evenly while rotating men in and out of position. No more than ten men are hoisting the platforms at any given time, so the pace the men keep requires coordination to keep the two saints securely upright.

Pastor Father Carl Gismondi, FSSP, is quick to point out that while the men run at a decent pace, the Running is not a race.  “There is no winner and there is no getting around it, the biers are heavy.  It’s a lot of fun, but there is penance involved – joyful penance.  Public processions are essential to our Catholic faith, because a procession not only wins grace for ourselves, but it is also a way to sanctify the neighborhood and the city.”

Visitors are invited to start their Sunday at St. Anne’s 11:00AM Solemn High Mass where the St. Anne Schola and guest choir will sing full Gregorian propers in the soaring Missa de Sancta Ana by Franco-Flemish Renaissance composer Pierre de la Rue (1452-1518).

Video of the Running can be seen here.

See St. Anne’s website for directions. http://www.stannes-sandiego.org/
As the Italians said 'Where have (I) been?' indeed!  For me, this is one of those 'Thank God I'm Catholic' moments.  Deo gratias!
Awesome parish, great Masses and priests! 2nd parish I goto for the TLM. Might drop by to check out the event.
(07-20-2012, 06:22 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote: Awesome parish, great Masses and priests! 2nd parish I goto for the TLM. Might drop by to check out the event.
I heard in San Diego there are only two places to go for the TLM.
There are St. Anne's, the SSPX,  a CMRI Mass, and at least one other Mass in a private home.  I think there is another church in Oceanside that has just one Mass at 6PM. Those are the ones I know about.
(07-20-2012, 07:08 PM)Doce Me Wrote: There are St. Anne's, the SSPX,  a CMRI Mass, and at least one other Mass in a private home.  I think there is another church in Oceanside that has just one Mass at 6PM. Those are the ones I know about.
Thank you.
Of those, which one do you recommend most?
(07-20-2012, 07:14 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 07:08 PM)Doce Me Wrote: There are St. Anne's, the SSPX,  a CMRI Mass, and at least one other Mass in a private home.  I think there is another church in Oceanside that has just one Mass at 6PM. Those are the ones I know about.
Thank you.

I go to the SSPX Mass (in Rancho Penasquitos).  It is extremely small (< 50) and held in a grade school auditorium.  St .Anne Church, on the other hand, is magnificent, and has wonderful programs, catechism, chant classes etc.  (See my other post on chant camp in the ...Sacred Music forum) But I prefer the SSPX because I think it speaks out much more courageously than the FSSP about the changes in the Church. I am speaking about the societies as a whole, of which each parish/mission is a member, no matter how traditionalist the individual priests are.  I have family that goes to St. Anne Church which is one reason that I am posting about it.  It is beautiful.
(07-20-2012, 07:33 PM)Doce Me Wrote:
Thank you.

I go to the SSPX Mass (in Rancho Penasquitos).  It is extremely small (< 50) and held in a grade school auditorium.  St .Anne Church, on the other hand, is magnificent, and has wonderful programs, catechism, chant classes etc.  (See my other post on chant camp in the ...Sacred Music forum) But I prefer the SSPX because I think it speaks out much more courageously than the FSSP about the changes in the Church. I am speaking about the societies as a whole, of which each parish/mission is a member, no matter how traditionalist the individual priests are.  I have family that goes to St. Anne Church which is one reason that I am posting about it.  It is beautiful.
Thank you. I admire your faith and sincerity.
SSPX is the way to go.
God bless.
(07-20-2012, 06:52 PM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(07-20-2012, 06:22 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote: Awesome parish, great Masses and priests! 2nd parish I goto for the TLM. Might drop by to check out the event.
I heard in San Diego there are only two places to go for the TLM.

Aside from the Mass the SSPX celebrate (haven't been yet) and the wonderful parish of the FSSP (St. Anne's), there is St. Maragret of Scotland in Oceanside that has the Sung High Mass every Sunday at 6 PM and the Low Mass every first Saturday at 8am http://www.oceanside4christ.com/cms_sm/.

St. Mary's in Escondido has the Tridentine Mass every Sunday at 3:30, but I'm afraid I don't know what form as I haven't been there yet.http://www.stmaryescondido.com/

Thank you.

St. Anne's is a wonderful parish and they have a very cool, older church that is just great. St, Margaret of Scotland is a very beautiful, newer church built in the traditional style. Fr. Wallace, the pastor there, has been written about very favorably by Fr. Z in his blog. He is a wonderful priest.