Should I have abstained from H. Communion
Now that the subject lends itself:

In the wedding at Cana, does the bible mention if Our Lord actually drank wine on that particular occasion?
Or do we assume he drank on that particular occasion?
Thanks.
(07-24-2012, 11:27 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: Now that the subject lends itself:

In the wedding at Cana, does the bible mention if Our Lord actually drank wine on that particular occasion?
Or do we assume he drank on that particular occasion?
Thanks.

Safe to assume He did, IMHO.  But not that important to establish the morality of drinking wine in reasonable amounts.  First of all it's not intrinsically wrong (doesn't contradict natural law), second of all it's recommended in other parts of scripture, third Our Lord drank it in the Last Supper, fourth at Cana even if He didn't drink it He did make water into wine which He wouldn't have done if it were evil... there are probably more arguments, but just to list a few.
'The Son of man came eating and drinking and they say: Behold a man that is a glutton and a wine drinker ...'  :donut: :wine:
(07-24-2012, 09:30 AM)Melkite Wrote: "What the hell is this, beer flavored water?" 

Heh, that's how I think of Budweiser. I can tolerate regular Bud, though. Not Bud Light or anything by Miller. I don't know how my father could stomach Miller Lite for so many years.

My opinion of most other American mainline beers is less positive. I spoiled myself with Guinness and Samuel Smith.
(07-24-2012, 12:02 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: Safe to assume He did, IMHO.  But not that important to establish the morality of drinking wine in reasonable amounts.  First of all it's not intrinsically wrong (doesn't contradict natural law), second of all it's recommended in other parts of scripture, third Our Lord drank it in the Last Supper, fourth at Cana even if He didn't drink it He did make water into wine which He wouldn't have done if it were evil... there are probably more arguments, but just to list a few.

One thing to remember is that our Lord was Incarnate long before water treatment plants.  Frankly, alcohol was a lot safer than much of the local water supply back in those days (or, frankly, any days prior to the late nineteenth century or so).
(07-24-2012, 01:20 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: One thing to remember is that our Lord was Incarnate long before water treatment plants.  Frankly, alcohol was a lot safer than much of the local water supply back in those days (or, frankly, any days prior to the late nineteenth century or so).

Or even now in some parts of the world.

Also, St. Paul wrote to Timothy that he should drink wine for the sake of his stomach.
(07-24-2012, 01:20 PM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(07-24-2012, 12:02 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: Safe to assume He did, IMHO.  But not that important to establish the morality of drinking wine in reasonable amounts.  First of all it's not intrinsically wrong (doesn't contradict natural law), second of all it's recommended in other parts of scripture, third Our Lord drank it in the Last Supper, fourth at Cana even if He didn't drink it He did make water into wine which He wouldn't have done if it were evil... there are probably more arguments, but just to list a few.

One thing to remember is that our Lord was Incarnate long before water treatment plants.  Frankly, alcohol was a lot safer than much of the local water supply back in those days (or, frankly, any days prior to the late nineteenth century or so).

Very true, but that doesn't mean that we cannot enjoy it now for the sake of flavor, etc, if we so choose.  Tapestries were used to keep out drafts, but people still have them for decor purposes.
(07-24-2012, 03:36 AM)moonlight1987 Wrote: I confessed the day before however just before Mass started it came to my mind that I forgot to confess that I drunk a bit too much. I try not to drink more than 1/3 and I drunk half a liter beer. Something inside of me said I should't take communion because I receive the Lord unworthy, then I tried to comfort myself with the thaught that I was not even sure if I commited a mortal sin and that it was nonsens that I think that drinking a little too much is grave matter. At the end I decided to take communion since my priest told me the churche advices to do so if you are not 100% sure that it was grave matter. Could I have sinned by taking the communion?

Since you forgot to confess an old sin, you were in the clear to receive communion.

Drunkeness is a sin, meaning clearly drinking to excess to a point that you're senses are impaired. I would recommend that you speak to a priest, since you sound scrupulous. Always remember St. Alphonsus Liguori's advice: if you doubt it was mortal, give yourself the benefit of the doubt, and receive our Lord.
Thanks for the answers. My spiritual director knows I am scurpulous and he actually advices me to go to communion if I am not sure if I committed a mortal sin. But still I find it hard to accept his advice even though I know the church teach it as well. I actually do go to communion when I start to have these thoughts however I feel no peace before and after I received the Body of Christ.
(07-24-2012, 03:13 PM)moonlight1987 Wrote: Thanks for the answers. My spiritual director knows I am scurpulous and he actually advices me to go to communion if I am not sure if I committed a mortal sin. But still I find it hard to accept his advice even though I know the church teach it as well. I actually do go to communion when I start to have these thoughts however I feel no peace before and after I received the Body of Christ.

Dear Moonlight,

You know your confessor is right, so be at peace! Remember Our Lord is the Good Shephard, who is all good, and all merciful. Since you are not in mortal sin, you are in a state of grace, of friendship, with God.