Bishops using Psychiatry against Priests?
A few years ago I read an article about Bishops abusing psychiatry to punish priests who were deemed too traditional.

However, I've not been able to track down the article. Is anyone aware of this problem and is able to provide sources?
(07-24-2012, 05:40 AM)Scotus Wrote: A few years ago I read an article about Bishops abusing psychiatry to punish priests who were deemed too traditional.

However, I've not been able to track down the article. Is anyone aware of this problem and is able to provide sources?

Are you sure mean psychiatry?  Of course it could be ... but I've heard (anectodal) stories of superiors sending subordinates to have psychological evaluations (usually a psychologist does this, a psychiatrist could as well but with a different focus and for different reasons) even for inappropriate reasons, to have them deemed unfit.

I heard this in the case of bishops sending priests who are too traditional.  Also in the case of police officers in authority sending other policemen for evaluations because they questioned systemic corruption. 
(07-24-2012, 05:40 AM)Scotus Wrote: A few years ago I read an article about Bishops abusing psychiatry to punish priests who were deemed too traditional.

The Book "Good bye Good men" by Michael Rose discusses this.
They used to send the pedophiles to these psychiatric places, they gave them their "clean' bill of health and sent them back to the parishes. They also sent traditional leaning NO priests who weren't towing the line to these psychiatric places just to get it on their record so they could remove them later. These modernists have more tricks than Houdini ever had.
There was an exchange not too long ago in The Remnant between a columnist and the Bishop of (I think) Little Rock, Arkansas. Part of the dispute involved something along these lines - a young priest saying the TLM on his day off getting "sent for evaluation" if I recall correctly.
Sort of like the communist re-education camps. The war is afoot y'all. Get ready.
(07-24-2012, 06:57 PM)MRose Wrote: There was an exchange not too long ago in The Remnant between a columnist and the Bishop of (I think) Little Rock, Arkansas. Part of the dispute involved something along these lines - a young priest saying the TLM on his day off getting "sent for evaluation" if I recall correctly.

Thanks, I'll look it up!

In the 1970s, a diocesan bishop used this trick against Father John Ramsey, a proto-traditionalist priest from Kentucky and one of the earliest American supporters of Archbishop Lefebvre. Fr. Ramsey suffered a great deal because of it.

The modernists running the seminaries after Vatican II commonly employed the "you're crazy/psychologically immature" accusation against seminarians who retained vestiges of the Catholic faith. All of us who were in modernist seminaries in those days were targeted this way.
(07-25-2012, 02:56 PM)FatherCekada Wrote:

In the 1970s, a diocesan bishop used this trick against Father John Ramsey, a proto-traditionalist priest from Kentucky and one of the earliest American supporters of Archbishop Lefebvre. Fr. Ramsey suffered a great deal because of it.

The modernists running the seminaries after Vatican II commonly employed the "you're crazy/psychologically immature" accusation against seminarians who retained vestiges of the Catholic faith. All of us who were in modernist seminaries in those days were targeted this way.

That's interesting, Father. Are there any links on the case you mention? Or do you have any other documentary sources? Many thanks.
(07-26-2012, 04:04 AM)Scotus Wrote:
(07-25-2012, 02:56 PM)FatherCekada Wrote:

That's interesting, Father. Are there any links on the case you mention? Or do you have any other documentary sources? Many thanks.

He told me about it himself. I used to bring him Holy Communion during the last years of his life.

Fr. Ramsey was responsible, by the way, for putting some of the original American members of SSPX into contact with Abp. Lefebvre. Anthony Ward, Clarence Kelly and Donald Sanborn were in seminaries in the New York area in the early '70s, and wrote a letter to The Remnant inquiring about where they could find a traditional seminary. Fr. Ramsey wrote and told them about Ecône.