Sermon on the Mount
What do you say of this?

The Sermon on the Mount is not to be taken literally because in it, Jesus describes a way of living to which no one can adhere. Without His help, that is. The sermon shows that we need His salvation because we are unable to achieve what is required of us. Saw a protty make this comment the other day.

I found it interesting.
(07-24-2012, 12:34 PM)slewi Wrote: What do you say of this?

The Sermon on the Mount is not to be taken literally because in it, Jesus describes a way of living to which no one can adhere. Without His help, that is. The sermon shows that we need His salvation because we are unable to achieve what is required of us. Saw a protty make this comment the other day.

I found it interesting.

Luther had much the same argument about any of the admonitions throughout Scripture, so at least your pretty is sticking to his script. 

Next time you see him or her, try asking what Thomas Aquinas asked:  does it make sense for Scripture to talk about rewards and punishments if we cannot at least make an effort to follow the commandments and admonitions in Scripture?
(07-24-2012, 12:34 PM)slewi Wrote: What do you say of this?

I found it interesting.
Don't listen to Protestants.

They make things up in their ignorance of the teachings of Christ.

We need the grace of God to do good. That is true.

However, Protestants generally follow a "what happens will happen regardless" and will commit all kinds of sin because they do not have hope or charity. They presume their salvation.
What do you mean that it's something to which none can adhere? All the saints obeyed these teachings to the slightest detail.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
I know that Jacafamala. But the silly Protty doesn't. Anyone have any good trad cath links about the sermon? I'm not coming access any.
(07-24-2012, 07:37 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: What do you mean that it's something to which none can adhere? All the saints obeyed these teachings to the slightest detail.

Protestants often believe that people do not have free will and that any "good" or "bad" done is merely domination of an individual by God or Satan, and we cannot do anything about it.
Read the Epistle of St. James. Then, you will realize why Luther wanted to remove it from the Bible.
If you feel like talking to the Prot and converting him, start by asking if he believes in Sanctification.
(07-24-2012, 07:37 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: What do you mean that it's something to which none can adhere? All the saints obeyed these teachings to the slightest detail.

How about "Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:48)? I doubt that anyone, saint or not, has ever lived up to that one. Not that He didn't want us to make the attempt, but any mere human is necessarily going to fall short. Saints are better and holier than I am, but they're not perfect.
(07-24-2012, 07:06 PM)Rosarium Wrote: However, Protestants generally follow a "what happens will happen regardless" and will commit all kinds of sin because they do not have hope or charity. They presume their salvation.

Modernist Catholics follow this same logic when it comes to the Church. Since "The Gates of hell will not prevail", the are not interested in the Crisis of the Church, nor the sad state of affairs within the clergy.
Their cop-outs are" The gates of hell will not prevail" and "This too shall pass".

So live and let live.