Sermon on the Mount
(07-25-2012, 12:09 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:
(07-24-2012, 07:37 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: What do you mean that it's something to which none can adhere? All the saints obeyed these teachings to the slightest detail.

How about "Be you therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:48)? I doubt that anyone, saint or not, has ever lived up to that one. Not that He didn't want us to make the attempt, but any mere human is necessarily going to fall short. Saints are better and holier than I am, but they're not perfect.

Mary did. But as for the rest of us, we can live up to that; we have to be perfect to get to Heaven so really there's no choice. Saints always do the will of God in the present. That's perfection. They may have previously lived very sinful lives, but I trust Our Lord isn't speaking of the past; only present.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(07-25-2012, 03:21 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote:
(07-24-2012, 07:06 PM)Rosarium Wrote: However, Protestants generally follow a "what happens will happen regardless" and will commit all kinds of sin because they do not have hope or charity. They presume their salvation.

Modernist Catholics follow this same logic when it comes to the Church. Since "The Gates of hell will not prevail", the are not interested in the Crisis of the Church, nor the sad state of affairs within the clergy.
Their cop-outs are" The gates of hell will not prevail" and "This too shall pass".

So live and let live.

That is not comparable.

That is not "modernist".

Modernism is a heresy.

The Church itself will not fall. It has been promised that many false teachers will come and seduce many.

From the very beginning, these "wolves" have preyed up on the flock.

(07-25-2012, 03:21 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: Modernist Catholics follow this same logic when it comes to the Church. Since "The Gates of hell will not prevail", the are not interested in the Crisis of the Church, nor the sad state of affairs within the clergy.
Their cop-outs are" The gates of hell will not prevail" and "This too shall pass".

At first glance, I thought you wrote "you shall not pass!" Gandalf would certainly not have been a modernist making cop-outs. On that I think we can agree.
(07-24-2012, 12:34 PM)slewi Wrote: What do you say of this?

The Sermon on the Mount is not to be taken literally because in it, Jesus describes a way of living to which no one can adhere. Without His help, that is. The sermon shows that we need His salvation because we are unable to achieve what is required of us. Saw a protty make this comment the other day.

I found it interesting.

He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him. - John 14:21

Seems pretty clear to me.

We have to take it literally and with grace all things are possible.
(07-25-2012, 11:13 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: We have to take it literally and with grace all things are possible.

Yes.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(07-25-2012, 03:21 AM)GottmitunsAlex Wrote: Modernist Catholics follow this same logic when it comes to the Church. Since "The Gates of hell will not prevail", the are not interested in the Crisis of the Church, nor the sad state of affairs within the clergy.

So live and let live.

The two quoted premises are valid and correct, but the conclusion is wrong.  A properly formed Catholic conscience understands that he/she has a role to play, and a personal will to conform to the will of God, followed by action.
I must admit, I'm a little skeptical that the meek with inherit the earth.
(07-25-2012, 12:36 PM)Allan Wrote:

So live and let live.

The two quoted premises are valid and correct, but the conclusion is wrong.  A properly formed Catholic conscience understands that he/she has a role to play, and a personal will to conform to the will of God, followed by action.
THIS
This too shall pass is indeed correct, but some seem obsessed with explaining away certain unexcusable actions. Such as:

and

http://sspx.org/news/assisi_iii/assisi_iii.htm

and

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedi...rt_en.html

and

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/articl...some-cases

and

Not to mention this:

and

[Image: one-world-reg2.jpg]

and

http://www.traditioninaction.org/religio..._Jan04.htm