Dispenation for non-Catholic bridegroom to receive Holy Communion?
So I was at a party Saturday evening, and our host, who is a Lutheran (his wife is Catholic) told me that when he and his wife were married in a Catholic church, the bishop gave a dispensation for him to receive the Eucharist during the wedding ceremony. Can this possibly be canonical?
(07-24-2012, 08:54 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: So I was at a party Saturday evening, and our host, who is a Lutheran (his wife is Catholic) told me that when he and his wife were married in a Catholic church, the bishop gave a dispensation for him to receive the Eucharist during the wedding ceremony. Can this possibly be canonical?

My gut reaction is 'NO!' but I'm sure there's some weasel in the New Code to make it legit. However, I feel sorry for the heretic who received to his own damnation.
The only canonical allowance for Communion to non-Catholics is thus:

"If the danger of death is present or other grave necessity, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or the conference of bishops, Catholic ministers may licitly administer these sacraments to other Christians who do not have full Communion with the Catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and on their own ask for it, provided they manifest Catholic faith in these sacraments and are properly disposed" (CIC 844 § 4).

Seems like it is saying that only in danger of death or other grave necessity !!confuso-speech ambiguity alert!! (what is this "other grave necessity?!) who's own minister is not present and they manifest the Catholic faith. So in short, the Bishop committed a grave mortal sin by giving common to the heretic.

Can anyone help me with this "who cannot approach a minister of their own community and on their own ask for it?" Translation?
(07-24-2012, 09:17 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote: Can anyone help me with this "who cannot approach a minister of their own community and on their own ask for it?" Translation?

I would imagine it applies to someone in exile in Siberia (on a base in Antarctica? Mars colony?) -- anyway, totally isolated, and a Catholic priest is available but one of their own is not, and the dying person asks the Catholic priest for the sacraments.
(07-24-2012, 08:58 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(07-24-2012, 08:54 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: So I was at a party Saturday evening, and our host, who is a Lutheran (his wife is Catholic) told me that when he and his wife were married in a Catholic church, the bishop gave a dispensation for him to receive the Eucharist during the wedding ceremony. Can this possibly be canonical?

My gut reaction is 'NO!' but I'm sure there's some weasel in the New Code to make it legit. However, I feel sorry for the heretic who received to his own damnation.

Same here.
It really makes one wonder.

Brick by brick it seems (to me) like the sspx is the group with the "regular" status and everybody else is "not in full communion".  While I have absolutely zero sede leanings I think it's apparent why the sspx is the whipping boy for the modern church.  While the hierarchy dabbles, unofficially, of course,  :eyeroll: with heretical actions it is the sspx that is eeeeeeevil and anathama...
I don't actually mean "everybody else".  I realize there are faithful clergy and lay Catholics all over the NO, my dear ol' ma included.
This really isn't surprising. 

NewChurch is a joke, through and through. 

God forbid a Catholic bishop give a damn about the Eucharist.

Jovan, how dare you speak in such condemnatory language.  This bridegroom was merely a separated brethren in whose church can be found partial truths of Our Lord, and who could very well be saved inside that community.  Besides, to say otherwise would be bad for ecumenism....
(07-24-2012, 11:40 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:

Jovan, how dare you speak in such condemnatory language.  This bridegroom was merely a separated brethren in whose church can be found partial truths of Our Lord, and who could very well be saved inside that community.  Besides, to say otherwise would be bad for ecumenism....
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: