Is the Five-Fold Scapular the answer?
I'm very attracted to devotion to Our Lady of Sorrows and feel called to immerse my self deeper in the spiritual practises and affiliations connected to her.  The Servite Rosary is replacing the Dominican Rosary as my daily chaplet, I want to be invested with the Black Scapular and invested in her Confraternity, etc.  But the problem is that the closest Servite parish to me is very far and over-all my understanding of the Province of the Isles is that the scapular and confraternity are rather... neglected.  The only Servites I've found that still seem to propagate this devotion are an ocean away.  Added to this the scapular and confraternity is still reserved to the Servites.  I would need to find a priest willing to write abroad for the appropriate permissions, etc.

And then I got to thinking.  The five-fold scapular.  The Black Scapular of Our Lady of Sorrows comprises one of the five and any priest can invest you with these scapulars.  My interest really only lies in the Black Scapular (though the Blue Scapular of the Immaculate Conception holds its charm ;)!).  I don't want to wear the five-fold... but could I be invested with it and only choose to wear the Black Scapular?  If I observed the practise of wearing only the Black Scapular would I be eligible for the rewards and spiritual participation one would expect as being invested and enrolled with it alone?

Basically, invested in the five-fold, take it off, put on a Black Scapular and observe that alone, and I'm all good?
I'm not sure but maybe these Servites can help you. They offer the Scapular, and perhaps they know some way to enroll you.  They used to be very strong here in Chicago pre-cataclysm. I was baptized at the Church of the Assumption, one of the Servite parishes.

http://www.servitedevelopment.org/

tim
(08-07-2012, 06:30 PM)Tim Wrote: I'm not sure but maybe these Servites can help you. They offer the Scapular, and perhaps they know some way to enroll you.  They used to be very strong here in Chicago pre-cataclysm. I was baptized at the Church of the Assumption, one of the Servite parishes.

http://www.servitedevelopment.org/

tim

Thank you Tim.

I've already contacted that particular community and I hope to receive an answer from them soon :).  But the five-fold option may prove to be a little easier  :LOL:.
No worries, brother!  They offer a nice probably long lasting scalpular

Here http://gifts.servitedevelopment.org/gift...pular.aspx

And a little less better one here

http://gifts.servitedevelopment.org/gift...rrows.aspx

Your priest no longer needs to write to recieve permission for your enrollment.  

http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/resources/...rders.html

I'm including the ritual of investure and blessing of the rosary here.  

8. BLESSING AND INVESTITURE WITH THE BLACK SCAPULAR OF OUR LADY OF SORROWS

(Formerly reserved to the Order of Servites)

The one who is to receive the scapular is kneeling. The priest, vested in surplice and white stole, says:

P: Our help is in the name of the Lord.

All: Who made heaven and earth.

P: The Lord be with you.

All: May He also be with you.

Almighty everlasting God, whom it pleased to lift up a fallen world by the death of your only-begotten Son, in order to deliver us from everlasting condemnation, and to lead us to the joys of the kingdom of heaven; we beg you to look with favor on this family of your servants, founded in the name of the blessed Virgin of the Seven Sorrows, of which family this servant of yours wishes to be a member. Let the number of those who faithfully serve you be increased. Let this candidate be delivered from all vexations of the world and of the flesh and of the snares of the devil; and by the prayers of the blessed Virgin Mary, of St. Augustine, of St. Philip, and of the seven holy fathers and founders of our Order, may he (she) attain the true joys that last forever; through Christ our Lord.

All: Amen.
Turning to the scapular which lies on the altar the priest says:

Let us pray.
Lord Jesus Christ, who condescended to clothe yourself in our mortal nature, we humbly beg you in your boundless goodness to bless  this garment, which our holy fathers have sanctioned to be worn by us in token of innocence and lowliness, and in memory of the Seven Sorrows of the blessed Virgin Mary. May he (she), who is to wear it, likewise put on you, our Savior, in body and soul. We ask this of you who live and reign forever and ever.

He sprinkles the scapular with holy water, saying:

Purify me with hyssop, Lord, and I shall be clean of sin. Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Then he blesses the rosary of the Seven Sorrows, using the prayer "Almighty and merciful God" given below; and he sprinkles the rosary with holy water.

After this he invests the person (who is kneeling before him) with the scapular, saying:

Take, dear brother (sister), this habit of the blessed Virgin Mary, the special badge of her servants, as a reminder of the Seven Sorrows she endured during the life and death of her only- begotten Son. And having been invested with it, may you by her patronage attain everlasting life.

Then he hands the rosary to the person, saying:

Take the rosary of the blessed Virgin Mary, designed to commemorate her Seven Sorrows. As your lips utter her praises, may your heart fully commiserate with her in her sufferings.

Lastly he blesses the person(s), saying:

May the blessing of almighty God, Father, Son,  and Holy Spirit, come upon you and remain with you forever.

9. BLESSING OF THE ROSARY OF THE SEVEN SORROWS

(Formerly reserved to the Order of Servites)

The priest, vested in surplice and white stole, says:

P: Our help is in the name of the Lord.

All: Who made heaven and earth.

P: The Lord be with you.

All: May He also be with you.

Let us pray.
Almighty and merciful God, who, out of exceeding love for us, willed that your only-begotten Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, come down on earth for our salvation, taking our flesh and submitting to the torment of the cross; we humbly beg you in your boundless goodness to bless  and to hallow this rosary, which your faithful Church has consecrated to the memory of the Seven Sorrows of the Mother of your Son. Let it be endowed with such power of the Holy  Spirit, that whoever recites it, or carries it on his person, or reverently keeps it in his home, may always and everywhere in this life be shielded from all enemies, visible and invisible, and at the hour of death attain the grace of being presented to you by the blessed Virgin Mary, crowned with the aureole of good works through Christ our Lord.

The priest sprinkles the rosary with holy water.

They are lengthy so just make sure your priest has time.  Dont replace your rosary with the servite one. Try to pray both.  
Father Tomaso or Father Gaetano, would have enrolled you long distance. Father Tomaso fought Cardinal Cody over the TLM, until the Servites in Rome ordered him home. They had parishes for all of the Italian speaking immigrants, and a Basilica on the west side. They had parishes for the Irish immigrants too.

tim 
Thank you Josué!  It is good to know that it is no longer reserved in the case of the Servites.  That will make things a lot easier!  I'm wondering though whether or not the Blessing and Investiture is to be done in Latin or in the English provided above?

(08-07-2012, 06:43 PM)Tim Wrote: Father Tomaso or Father Gaetano, would have enrolled you long distance. Father Tomaso fought Cardinal Cody over the TLM, until the Servites in Rome ordered him home. They had parishes for all of the Italian speaking immigrants, and a Basilica on the west side. They had parishes for the Irish immigrants too.

tim 

Irish parishes?  I knew I loved the Servites for some reason  :grin:.
The scapular from the Servite site listed above is really of poor quality, as in it is basically some black felt with a piece of paper sewed on. Any sweat or water will probably disfigure it beyond reconition which is why I have not actually worn the two I ordered yet. I live in Florida so sweating profusely most of the year in this humidity is an inescapable fact of life. Someone e-mailed me once and gave me the address to some folks in the UK who supposedly had some good ones but I never pursued it further since they didn't have a website and I do not live anywhere near the UK. I will try to find the e-mail with the address if you're interested. As for Our Lady of Sorrows, Father Ripperger has two great conference talks about her and the devotion surrounding her on www.sensustraditionis.org. Well worth the "penanceware" he asks to download. I might also suggest St. Alphonsus's The Glories of Mary for a throughly beautiful treatment of the various Sorrows surrounding the devotion.
Oh and as for the scapular make!

http://www.cenacle.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=2375

There's a rather affordable plain black scapular, 100% wool.  I'd like a stout one with imagery on it but I'll be able to live with two of them for now :).  (One to alternate with when the other gets wet in the shower  :P!)
(08-07-2012, 07:11 PM)City Smurf Wrote: Thank you Josué!  It is good to know that it is no longer reserved in the case of the Servites.  That will make things a lot easier!  I'm wondering though whether or not the Blessing and Investiture is to be done in Latin or in the English provided above?

Hmm. I was looking for that but have yet to find it.  The rosary blessing is the same as the Dominican one except for the sorrows of our lady part which I'm sure you can just translate yourself.  When I find it I'll be sure to post it up here for you.  I'm glad your praying the rosary of seven dolors. I've started a month or so ago and have fallen in love with it!  I'm doing my best to propagate it.  
I've got the scapular base covered but thank you for the suggestion :).

(08-07-2012, 07:21 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: As for Our Lady of Sorrows, Father Ripperger has two great conference talks about her and the devotion surrounding her on www.sensustraditionis.org. Well worth the "penanceware" he asks to download. I might also suggest St. Alphonsus's The Glories of Mary for a throughly beautiful treatment of the various Sorrows surrounding the devotion.

I'm a big fan of the Glories of Mary and I actually discovered Our Lady of Sorrows through it.  In fact whenever I turn to the work I spent most of my time reading the pieces on our Sorrowful Mother.  The meditations have brought me to tears before.  Saint Alphonsus was a beautiful writer.