Cooking Rice
I am using my new rice cooker for the first time.

I am making (I hope) a type of brown basmati rice. It will be around an hour before it is done if all goes well.

I hope to be freed from the curse of instant rice and expensive pre-cooked rice.
I usually have rice with most of my meals. It's a filipino thing. If my mom can't use a rice cooker, water in a pot will do.

Jasmine white rice. The Thai brands are the best.
mmmmmmm basmati....

Brown rice is great, never had basmati brown rice though, sounds good. I really like Jasmine rice, the kind you get at Indian restaurants. To bad every time my mom cooks rice, she just makes plain white rice, which is the epitome of boring. God bless her though.  :grin:
(08-07-2012, 07:37 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: I usually have rice with most of my meals.
I do not have rice with meals. The rice is the meal.

Quote: It's a filipino thing.
Also Mexican, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Indian, Bengali, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, etc.  :P

Quote:Jasmine white rice. The Thai brands are the best.

The Basmati rice I'm eating (it is done now) was grown in Texas.
(08-07-2012, 08:20 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
Quote: It's a filipino thing.
Also Mexican, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Indian, Bengali, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, etc.  :P

Not the Mexicans or Latinos I know. For the other Asians, yes.
Congratulations on your new rice cooker; I love mine.  Cooking in a pot of water on the stove top is easy enough, or even a pressure cooker, but the rice cooker is so convenient, and you don’t have to watch it.

I’m surprised your rice is taking an hour; whether I stove top cook or use the rice cooker it’s usually 20 minutes.  However I use white rice.  I mostly buy rice from bulk bins at my local food co-op or a warehouse grocery store and usually rotate between basmati and jasmine.  Perhaps the brown and wild rice take longer.

While I eat more potatoes (reds usually) and pasta than rice, it’s a nice diversion.  If there is left over rice I never throw it away.  The next day I’ll toss it into a stir fry with vegetables, or stir fry it with chopped onions and put two fried eggs (soft yolk) on top ~ standard breakfast fare from my Peace Corps days in Colombia.  It can be tossed into just about any soup also.
I have a rice cooker, pressure cooker, slow cooker combo unit that I swear by.  It cooks white rice in 6 minutes and brown rice in 12.  An hour seems a little long . . .
An hour? I just put my rice in a pot with some boiling water, add some chicken stock, and chilli. Then let it absorb all the mixture up. Tastes delicious and only takes 15 minutes.

Also, maybe this sounds weird, but if you have any of that peri peri nandos sauce you should add a dash of that in too. It turns the rice a cool orange colour and tastes delicious (if you like spicy food, that is).
Rosarium,
as a guy born in Japan, and a celiac, I love rice, any type. But my favorite is jasmine. Basmati's good, too, though. I just use a pot. Free yourself from the minute rice, friend. :)
Rice is great SHTF food also.It will store almost indefinitely if you keep it dry and away from the critters.