Cooking Rice
(08-08-2012, 11:30 PM)The Curt Jester Wrote: It is a staple. 
[Image: milton.jpg]

Quote:Then again, depending on from which part of Mexico you (or anyone for that matter) come, the diet will be different.
Or if they are in actually in Mexico. It is not like people are bound to follow their ethnic/geographic tendencies at all times.

Today it'll be risotto prosciutto and figs plunked on top of a parmesan basket and sprinkled with pepper

[Image: risotto.jpg]
(08-12-2012, 05:40 AM)jake-the-rake Wrote: Today it'll be risotto prosciutto and figs plunked on top of a parmesan basket and sprinkled with pepper

[Image: risotto.jpg]

Ahhh, that's what my dear departed Grandpa, Clemente Marinoni, would call soul food!  :eats:
Ciao Hawaii,

Il vecchio Clemente would've been right. I'm a big risotto fan, liking it almost as much as pasta. The rice itself, Italian rice, is very starchy and only really good made as risotto... otherwise basmati is better and prettier. But risotto is a killer... and in Italy there's a saying:

"Il riso nasce nell'acqua
ma muore nel vino"

Rice is born in water, but dies in wine. For the risotto above... it'll be a Chardonnay piemonte or Arneis

Buon appetito!
(08-12-2012, 07:09 AM)jake-the-rake Wrote: Rice is born in water, but dies in wine.

What about rice wine?
(08-12-2012, 02:13 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 07:09 AM)jake-the-rake Wrote: Rice is born in water, but dies in wine.

What about rice wine?

Ciao Rosarium,

I don't know... I guess with a little chemistry anything can be fermented and turned into wine or vodka. But Italian risotto and grape wine are a match made in heaven (unless you're on a diet in which case it's a match made in...)
(08-12-2012, 04:13 PM)jake-the-rake Wrote: Ciao Rosarium,

I don't know... I guess with a little chemistry anything can be fermented and turned into wine or vodka. But Italian risotto and grape wine are a match made in heaven (unless you're on a diet in which case it's a match made in...)

Rice is used for alcoholic drinks in the east. It can be made in the manner of beer or wine and has various names.

However, I do not drink any such things and do not know the specifics. I think rice based alcoholic drinks have more alcohol than others much of the time.
The rice cooker is Essential!!! for me. I fix rice about every other day. Same with coffee, every other day.

[Image: 129169220478540750.jpg]
Note to self.  Never read about food late at night.  Now I'm hungry and shall have to avail myself of Taco Bell, since they are open late.  Mmmm, rice.

Live mas.  :eats: