Cooking Rice
So, Rosarium, how do you like your rice cooker? I love mine- it's foolproof. Anyone out there have experience using one for other grains? (Like barley, buckwheat, coucous, etc.)
(08-21-2012, 12:51 PM)lisetravis Wrote: So, Rosarium, how do you like your rice cooker? I love mine- it's foolproof. Anyone out there have experience using one for other grains? (Like barley, buckwheat, coucous, etc.)

Mine cooks oatmeal.  This is a nice feature for the winter when I'm serving the whole family a hearty breakfast.  I can program it and wake up to oatmeal ready to go.  It makes my mornings much easier because I program the coffee maker, program the cooker, and just wake up to it all done.
(08-08-2012, 09:02 AM)Habitual_Ritual Wrote: Rice is great SHTF food also.It will store almost indefinitely if you keep it dry and away from the critters.

True, I have a 40kg bag of Pakistani Basmati with a best before date of 2010.  Still tastes perfect.
(08-08-2012, 08:39 PM)Rosarium Wrote: I generally cook rice with lentils and this is very good. I did not do this yesterday, as I wanted to try out the rice cooker with the basic operation of cooking rice.

"Protein" is a a species specific, function specific, chain of amino acids. Vegetables have all the amino acids humans need.

As I was reading, this is exactly what I was going to suggest! Rice and lentils complement each other and offer a complete protein together. I throw half and half in the rice cooker every other morning and eat it several times a day everyday. (I eat 6-8 small meals and snacks for blood sugar) I actually crave this combination along with fish and broccoli. It seems not many other foods are as satisfying to my nutritional needs.
(08-22-2012, 08:42 AM)wallflower Wrote: As I was reading, this is exactly what I was going to suggest! Rice and lentils complement each other and offer a complete protein together. I throw half and half in the rice cooker every other morning and eat it several times a day everyday. (I eat 6-8 small meals and snacks for blood sugar) I actually crave this combination along with fish and broccoli. It seems not many other foods are as satisfying to my nutritional needs.

It does provide all the essential amino acids for human protein synthesis, however, it is also filling and tastes good.

I use more rice than (or less lentils). I use a cup of dry rice and half a cup of dry lentils. Sometimes I add tomatoes or potatoes to the mix and of course some spices and oil.
(08-12-2012, 07:09 AM)jake-the-rake Wrote: "Il riso nasce nell'acqua
ma muore nel vino"

Rice is born in water, but dies in wine.

Amen!  My grandmother says that all the time.  :LOL:  :)

CP -- I'm easily bored with my food.  Blame it on living in California, where there is so much variety.  Italian, Mexican, etc, etc on and on.  Even my own native food (Italian) isn't something I want EVERY SINGLE DAY, anymore than I liked wearing a uniform.  When I spent a month in Italy, I just HAD to have tacos the first night home.  The food was great over in the motherland, don't get me wrong, but I did miss some of the variety I was used to in California.
(08-24-2012, 06:19 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: I'm easily bored with my food.  Blame it on living in California, where there is so much variety.  Italian, Mexican, etc, etc on and on.  Even my own native food (Italian) isn't something I want EVERY SINGLE DAY, anymore than I liked wearing a uniform.  When I spent a month in Italy, I just HAD to have tacos the first night home.  The food was great over in the motherland, don't get me wrong, but I did miss some of the variety I was used to in California.

Ciao OCLittleFlower,

Saluti dal Piemonte... where I'm visiting my mother and her big fat red cat. Actually "Italy" is a fiction. She's incredibly regional, so there's much more variety than the pizza-pasta-lasagne people imagine... great sour kraut in Padua, and knoedeln up in Trento, amazing cous-cous in Catania, steaks to die for (in Calabria), eel from the Veneto lagoon... If you check out the sagre  - the town food festivals, many connected to the patron saint, you'll be amazed at the variety.

Naturally we all want the exotic and the different... but I prefer the local and land-and-culture connected. For me it will be a sad day when Cetara is no longer connected to anchovies or Carmagnola to peppers or Parma to prosciutto or lardo di Colonnata or Cherasco to hazelnut chocolates.

Nowadays people consider such a position snobby... That's understandable... until you see that the people involved in all that goodness are just regular, honest, hard-working folks, whereas the ones controlling the food industries in the more serious countries have hardly any connection to what they're selling.
I hear you, Jake, believe me.  And I agree, fully.  I just wasn't sure if the average poster would know what Milanese means. 

And give the tabby cat some love for me.  Those are the best cats -- my mother has two big red guys. 

I loved the food in Piemonte -- my family is actually barely in Lombardia.  Enjoy!
(08-24-2012, 06:19 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: CP -- I'm easily bored with my food.  Blame it on living in California, where there is so much variety.  Italian, Mexican, etc, etc on and on.  Even my own native food (Italian) isn't something I want EVERY SINGLE DAY, anymore than I liked wearing a uniform.  When I spent a month in Italy, I just HAD to have tacos the first night home.  The food was great over in the motherland, don't get me wrong, but I did miss some of the variety I was used to in California.

I usually have real tacos (not Tex-Mex) whenever I come back from a trip.

Spending a month on any cuisine does things to you. It's kinda like Supersize Me, but instead you had authentic Italian. That's not too bad.
(08-25-2012, 03:39 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: And give the tabby cat some love for me.  Those are the best cats -- my mother has two big red guys. 

Ciao again OCLittleFlower, here's the monster - Tiger Tim - but mostly Timmy

[Image: P1000006.gif]

and here he is banging his head against a packet of Carnaroli rice.

[Image: ricecat.jpg]

Pure coincidence... My mom's neighbor just got back from the hills near Biella (to escape the heat)... and down in the mosquito infested valley where there's the run-off of Alp streams...

[Image: Carnaroli-13giu2010_2.jpg]

...it's rice, rice, rice... and she brought some souvenirs which got recycled to me. (Hurray!)

Fancy dan stuff... one little packet even has rice that's been aged 22 months (I didn't know that rice was aged, like wine or cheese or prosciutto)

[Image: carnaroli.jpg]

The best risotto I ever had was this one  with sweetbread (the chef is a 2 star Michelin winner - hailing from China, but working up here in the hills. The owner is one of mom's students... and I only took a picture of it to get even with my brother who's always bombarding me with food pictures.

[Image: animelle.jpg]

It might not look like much... ma buonoooooooooooo!

Salute