Best Book on Liturgical History?
(08-08-2012, 10:35 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(08-08-2012, 09:35 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(08-08-2012, 07:15 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Jungmann is the way to go for the whole picture, and can be supplemented by others. It is very detailed.

http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Roman-Rite-Origins-Development/dp/0870612743/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344467591&sr=1-1

Though my understanding is that some of Jungmann's history is off, especially in regard to the liturgy of the early Church.

In what specific ways is his history regarding the early Church's liturgy wrong?

Well, he and some of the other reformers apparently argued that the Mass was too convoluted and should be purified so that it would be closer to some primitive ideal, but I believe that recent scholarship has shown that the early liturgy of the Church was actually more complex than the reformers had thought. However, I've not read Jungmann myself, so I'm not sure of all the details.
I suspect this is not entirely what you are looking for, but if you want a history of the divine office/liturgy of the hours, this book is excellent:

Robert Taft, SJ, The Liturgy of the Hours in East and West: The origins of the divine office and its meaning for today. Collegeville: The Liturgical Press, 1986.
Concerning Jungmann, the primary problem with him is that he subscribes to a kind of corruption theory, which basically holds that the Mass got bogged down in the Middle Ages with accretions, and some of those were included in the 1570 Missal. This comes through in some passages. If you're a discerning reader, then you can gloss over it. Also you can understand that the Roman Rite before about the 5th and 6th century is very much an unknown. We have St Justin, and a few others, but really not much to work on. Knowing this, one can see that in those parts there may be more exploration and speculation. All this is far outweighed by the minute detail of the development of the Mass, including such interesting things as the High Mass coming from the congregational Mass, while the Low ("private," read, and always at the altar) Mass came from the domestic/house Mass. It is a historical book, and not a dogmatic book, so I hope we'd not be so credulous as to accept anything written on the page. And, yes, do supplement with other works, and some newer ones too which have the context of the post-VII era to address concerns like Mass facing the people. Plus they have within them the bibliography to branch out and read more.
If only HMiS was still a regular member to answer this question. He was an expert on the issue.