Living as a traditional Catholic - questions
Don't worry about the racist bit.  They exist, I won't deny it, but it doesn't exist chapel wide, probably 100% of pastors will oppose it, and racists at a chapel function will keep their mouth shut.  Don't let a concern over racism keep you from Tradition.  It's not prevalent. 

And, since I didn't read those posts, and actually don't care, those who oppose illegal immigration are not racists.  There is an economic argument for that also.  Keep that in mind.  I say this because you point out you are Latino.
I'll add that I have been part of many chapels/parishes, and I have never heard a racist comment from fellow Trads.  And this would be in discussions where only white men were present.  I've never heard it.  On forums, you'll see it from time to time. 
(08-08-2012, 06:40 PM)James02 Wrote: Don't worry about the racist bit.  They exist, I won't deny it, but it doesn't exist chapel wide, probably 100% of pastors will oppose it, and racists at a chapel function will keep their mouth shut.  Don't let a concern over racism keep you from Tradition.  It's not prevalent. 

And, since I didn't read those posts, and actually don't care, those who oppose illegal immigration are not racists.  There is an economic argument for that also.  Keep that in mind.  I say this because you point out you are Latino.

You won't find anyone more opposed to illegals than I am! I'm a local activist in opposing illegal immigration. I knew I liked FE for a reason, always great info.
(08-08-2012, 06:12 PM)James02 Wrote: However, it seems like the Wisconsin trads like their beer from this forum.

Wisconsin trad here.

I can confirm this.
I think the internet in general tends to attract those who take things a bit too far. Go to the Old Mass regularly, make friends with Catholics, and do things you enjoy provided they're not sinful. Some internet trads might claim you can't be friends with non-Catholics. I think this is false, and many of my friends are not Catholic, but without a doubt it's much easier to connect with people who share your values. Nearly all my close friends are Catholic but that's more a result of our shared world view and interests than an intentional decision to exclude non-Catholics from my social life. So there's a bit of truth to what they claim but they just take it too far. The same with modern music. A lot of it is complete trash that promotes immorality so that should be avoided, but that doesn't mean you can only listen to classical music and gregorian chant.

Also, drink alcohol, it's a great Catholic tradition. Anyone who tells you otherwise is infected with Protestantism :P
On that last note I know a guy who though drinking was sinful and was a bit of a Jansenist. His (traditional) spiritual director placed him under obedience to drink at least one alcoholic beverage a week. See, our religion is awesome  :LOL:
(08-08-2012, 06:12 PM)James02 Wrote: In GENERAL, the southern trads are more laid back and party more.

Good answer.  And it's not just the trads.  It's the whole South.  We can't help but enjoy living in God's country.

:P
The Southerners in general were pretty polite and helpful when I was there a few years back in Alabama.
Like someone else said, do what is acceptable for pastimes, just don't sin and get sucked into the culture that is trying to stangle out every last moral standard there is.  By the way, I have been to Vermont many times.  I think that, after Maine(due to it having such varied terrain(forest/mountains/ocean), it is the most beautiful New England state.  Sadly, I know, like Massachusetts and so many other places, the liberals and many Godless have inundated it.  Just do your best to keep yourself away from the muck and surround yourself by like-minded people.

Joe
(08-08-2012, 11:49 PM)joe17 Wrote: The Southerners in general were pretty polite and helpful when I was there a few years back in Alabama.
Like someone else said, do what is acceptable for pastimes, just don't sin and get sucked into the culture that is trying to stangle out every last moral standard there is.  By the way, I have been to Vermont many times.  I think that, after Maine(due to it having such varied terrain(forest/mountains/ocean), it is the most beautiful New England state.  Sadly, I know, like Massachusetts and so many other places, the liberals and many Godless have inundated it.  Just do your best to keep yourself away from the muck and surround yourself by like-minded people.

Joe

Vermont is indeed beautiful. We have the sad distinction however of being the least religious state in the union. Godless atheism has infected my Catholic college was all kinds of modernistic heresies and nonsense being paraded around as authentically Catholic. I have to travel 4 hours every Sunday to get to the Tridentine Mass... there's just so little hope for Vermont...
Isn't it sort of hard to say what the Tradition is like? It includes lots of different sort of people. It includes St. Francis, Savonarola, St. Augustine, St. Albert, General Franco, St. Thomas, Belloc, St. Therese... you could list off thousands of famous characters. They were all rather different.

Could I sit down and watch "Kick Ass" with Savonarola? I'm not sure if that would go over very well. Knock back some brews with St. Therese? Heck, St. Augustine and St. Thomas wouldn't even conduct a philosophical argument the same way.

The Tradition is very big! There's no one way to be traditional. Just be authentically Catholic. Serve Christ and don't sin. You're kind of on your own when it comes down to the gritty details. For example, there's a particular rock group whose music I like (RHCP). However, I was offended by something they said. I decided not to listen to their music because of their un-Christian attitude. I don't think you can really find that sort of distinction in a manual anywhere. I don't think it would be sinful for me to listen to them, but I don't want to because of my stance for Jesus Christ.

I guess that probably doesn't help.