Nudity in the Sistine Chapel
(08-13-2012, 02:28 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: These are presented to us in our fallen nature. I don't imagine the saints are spinning immaterial clothing in heaven to cover glorified bodies. Angels appear as men too, that doesn't mean they are men, or actually have the appearance of men to heavenly eyes. This does not affect the truth that in original innocence man was naked. It stands to reason our glorified bodies will not be clothed, or if they are, with some heavenly clothing, it will be an outward sign of virtue, and not a way to prevent lust and concupiscence.

Rev 3:4-5 But thou hast a few names in Sardis, which have not defiled their garments: and they shall walk with me in white, because they are worthy. He that shall overcome, shall thus be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels... 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold fire tried, that thou mayest be made rich; and mayest be clothed in white garments, and that the shame of thy nakedness may not appear; and anoint thy eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Sounds like He'll cloth us.
(08-13-2012, 04:30 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote: Rev 3:4-5 But thou hast a few names in Sardis, which have not defiled their garments: and they shall walk with me in white, because they are worthy. He that shall overcome, shall thus be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels... 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold fire tried, that thou mayest be made rich; and mayest be clothed in white garments, and that the shame of thy nakedness may not appear; and anoint thy eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Clothing in white garments in Revelation does not primarily refer to early nakedness or a state of being covered in heaven. It means being pure, free of defilement or blot, stainless -- that is, being a sign of sinlessness. Hence, one would be clothed in white at baptism. Obviously the parallel can be seen that Adam and Eve understood they were naked because they were no longer sinless. It had very little to do with their bodies, but wither their hearts. In heaven it stands to reason that every human-made garment would be cast off, and the glorified body would shine pure white, and, if we are to use biblical language, this shine (purity of soul) would be our clothing.
(08-13-2012, 05:51 PM)Scriptorium Wrote:
(08-13-2012, 04:30 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote: Rev 3:4-5 But thou hast a few names in Sardis, which have not defiled their garments: and they shall walk with me in white, because they are worthy. He that shall overcome, shall thus be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels... 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold fire tried, that thou mayest be made rich; and mayest be clothed in white garments, and that the shame of thy nakedness may not appear; and anoint thy eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Clothing in white garments in Revelation does not primarily refer to early nakedness or a state of being covered in heaven. It means being pure, free of defilement or blot, stainless -- that is, being a sign of sinlessness. Hence, one would be clothed in white at baptism. Obviously the parallel can be seen that Adam and Eve understood they were naked because they were no longer sinless. It had very little to do with their bodies, but wither their hearts. In heaven it stands to reason that every human-made garment would be cast off, and the glorified body would shine pure white, and, if we are to use biblical language, this shine (purity of soul) would be our clothing.

Thus no nakedness. Glad we agree.
(08-13-2012, 06:13 PM)TS Aquinas Wrote:
(08-13-2012, 05:51 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Clothing in white garments in Revelation does not primarily refer to early nakedness or a state of being covered in heaven. It means being pure, free of defilement or blot, stainless -- that is, being a sign of sinlessness. Hence, one would be clothed in white at baptism. Obviously the parallel can be seen that Adam and Eve understood they were naked because they were no longer sinless. It had very little to do with their bodies, but wither their hearts. In heaven it stands to reason that every human-made garment would be cast off, and the glorified body would shine pure white, and, if we are to use biblical language, this shine (purity of soul) would be our clothing.

Thus no nakedness. Glad we agree.

Ha! You keep going with that.

http://catholiceducation.org/articles/re...2.html#59r
(08-12-2012, 07:55 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: Michelangelo's paintings are vastly overrated. He was much better as as sculptor, which is what he primarily thought of himself as.

Also, his "Creation of Adam" in the Sistine Chapel has permanently implanted in the Western ethos this immature, excessively anthropomorphic idea that God is an old man sitting up in the clouds. It also, I feel, has done damage to the understanding of the Trinity in the Western world by making people think of this image--one that attempts to portray God the Father, but not the Son or the Holy Spirit--when they hear "God."

I basically agree with this.  Michaelangelo's sculptures, nude or no, are awesome.  His paintings with nudity, not so much.  I'm not sure I could put a finger on exactly why, but all that flesh in the paintings just disgusts me.  It's not something I think I would ever be tempted to look at.

Interestingly, the same is true, but in a different way, about the sculptures.  Something about the medium of marble makes it difficult, if not impossible, to look at them lustfully.  The medium itself tends to lend an element of purity to the image.

At the same time, I wonder about some of y'all proclaiming how terrible and Puritanical it is to want to cover up nudity in art.  I mean, if popes and cardinals ordered it done, if they felt scandalized by it, is it really that unreasonable?  Let's not forget how gravely tempting to human nature the sin of lust really is-- Our Lady of Fatima said it was the reason for the condemnation of most of the souls in hell, IIRC.
Blessed Anne Emmerich,in one of her revelations regarding Adam and Eve (Pre-Fall) , describes them appareled in a "spiritual" form of clothing made of light.