Oh No!!! Modernists take aim at Old Roman Missal
(08-16-2012, 07:16 PM)iona_scribe Wrote: Yeah, it sounds like, "Novus Ordo: the Prequel"  :LOL:

I think if it persuades Novus Ordo Catholics to come toward tradition a bit more and displaces regular NO Masses, then that's good.  If bishops use it to pressure regular diocesan priests to drop their TLM in favor of this new thing, then that's bad.  SSPX will happily ignore it.

Fixed it for you...The FSSP will do whatever Rome tells them to do.

If such a reform were to be implemented, it would essentially be a 1964-68 type liturgy, no? Meaning the Roman Canon is still there, and it's still said sotto voce, but the Mass can be said facing the people, entirely or mostly in the vernacular, with communion under both species, and so on?

Who would this affect? Would a new old missal only be forced on groups like the FSSP and ICRSS? Or will everyone have to use this new old missal?
I still have a copy of the "St. Joseph Sunday Missal" published in 1965. It is an exact merging of the 1962 Missal and what became the Missal of 1970. It will be a remarkable, ironic step if this is the final destination of the "reform of the reform". The Missal is a far better Liturgy than the NO, but it still is not the Original.
If the VPoo crowd screws around with the TLM...I will no longer be going to a diocesan Mass...I will look for a Sede chapel or independent chapel. I hope to God the SSPX establishes itself in Maine someday!

(08-16-2012, 07:43 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: If such a reform were to be implemented, it would essentially be a 1964-68 type liturgy, no? Meaning the Roman Canon is still there, and it's still said sotto voce, but the Mass can be said facing the people, entirely or mostly in the vernacular, with communion under both species, and so on?

Who would this affect? Would a new old missal only be forced on groups like the FSSP and ICRSS? Or will everyone have to use this new old missal?

All the groups who say the traditional mass presumably.
(08-16-2012, 07:44 PM)Dmorgan Wrote: I still have a copy of the "St. Joseph Sunday Missal" published in 1965. It is an exact merging of the 1962 Missal and what became the Missal of 1970. It will be a remarkable, ironic step if this is the final destination of the "reform of the reform". The Missal is a far better Liturgy than the NO, but it still is not the Original.

On a related note, I once perused an old 1959 missal at a used book store. Looking at the first blank page, a lady owned it. She crossed out words and made changes in the ordinary section of the missal. I saw the liturgical revolution as it happened, just from the small notes made in the missal.
I really wouldn't get too carried away with this, to be honest. Internet rumors such as this are typically without substance in their entirety. The absolutely imminent regularization of the SSPX must have been reported nearly a dozen times over the course of the past year and half.  I've lost count of all the blog headlines declaring Pope Benedict will be celebrating a public TLM on Christmas ... or Easter ... or Pentecost ... etc. 

I'll start caring and taking action when and if anything is officially confirmed.
Quote: - General allowance of the Traditional Mass to be celebrated "versus populum";

This is probably the worst abuse of the N.O.  I can't see a Trad priest doing this.  Standing there mooning the Lord as he says Mass. 

And I can't see Fr. Berg allowing it.  It says "allowance", so I doubt it will be forced.  If it was forced on the FSSP, most priests would probably go join the SSPX.
I know a lot of FSSP priests, and I have a reaaaaaally hard time seeing them accepting something like this, they'd go ballistic.
(08-16-2012, 09:19 PM)James02 Wrote:
Quote: - General allowance of the Traditional Mass to be celebrated "versus populum";

This is probably the worst abuse of the N.O.  I can't see a Trad priest doing this.  Standing there mooning the Lord as he says Mass. 

And I can't see Fr. Berg allowing it.  It says "allowance", so I doubt it will be forced.  If it was forced on the FSSP, most priests would probably go join the SSPX.

James, I am tempted to think this too, but what about the "hard-line" FSSP priests and Protocol 1411? Did any of them go back to the SSPX then? I mean, perhaps one can argue that they are not the same thing, but how long until they are "forced" to use a Novus Ordo preface? Will criticism be tolerated? Will Fr. Berg protest loudly?