Dealing with apparent contradictions in Church teaching
(08-24-2012, 03:59 AM)TrentCath Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 08:05 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 08:03 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 07:06 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: I think I have shown why the traditional approach is superior to modern secularism, and this discussion does not appear to be going anywhere, so I'm going to step out now. Have a nice day.

All you've done is go on a tangent, not respond to legitimate challenges and then leave when people press you on this.  Huh? What is the point in this? By doing so you undermine any legitimate points you may have made and essentially concede defeat and of course stifle discussion.

Well, we appear to be going around in circles at this point.

Case in point

Well, if you want, you can respond to my last substantial post in this thread and I will reply.
(08-24-2012, 04:46 AM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 03:59 AM)TrentCath Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 08:05 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 08:03 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 07:06 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: I think I have shown why the traditional approach is superior to modern secularism, and this discussion does not appear to be going anywhere, so I'm going to step out now. Have a nice day.

All you've done is go on a tangent, not respond to legitimate challenges and then leave when people press you on this.  Huh? What is the point in this? By doing so you undermine any legitimate points you may have made and essentially concede defeat and of course stifle discussion.

Well, we appear to be going around in circles at this point.

Case in point

Well, if you want, you can respond to my last substantial post in this thread and I will reply.

You can see I have already done so, several posts ago in fact.
it is also possible for a discipline to change - for example tommarow the pope could (it's very unlikely) decide that priests could get married. that would be a change in discipline. another good example is the fule about abstinence for Friday. Many people think that the pope just removed the abstinence from meat on Friday. That is partially true. Actually what he said was that you could substitute something else in lieu of eating meat on Friday. So if you are planning to eat hamburgers or steak on Friday, answer me this; "What was the penance that you are going to do in substitution for not eating meat on Friday?" Huh? Huh? Huh?