Pussy riot jailed: Vladimir Putin faces international outcry
(08-17-2012, 09:12 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: The good thing about this: Putin doesn't give a damn what the "international community" says.

Yes.  Good for Putin.  That man has, at least some, virtue.
Don't we wish there were laws against rock bands in churches here?  Then again, whatever would the NO types do?  :P
Let me get this straight.  Russia has not been converted because the magical consecration words have not been uttered in their proper order and with the proper inflection by the pope.  Therefore, Russia continues to spread her errors through the world, as indicated by Our Lady at Fatima.  The leader of said error-spreading nation (a nation leading folks into error and away from the True Faith I might remind you) is now being lauded on FE for being a staunch defender of the Faith, a strong man of action, and a former (perhaps current?) communist who enjoys sticking his thumb in the eyes of leftists?  Oh, and the Mohammedans can teach us a thing or two while old Vlad is busy defending the Church from her enemies.  Is that a good summation?  One wonders why Russia needs to convert at all with this fabulous statesman Putin at the helm.

Cognitive, meet dissonance.  I have a feeling you'll live happily ever after here in the tank. 
(08-18-2012, 01:45 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Cognitive, meet dissonance.  I have a feeling you'll live happily ever after here in the tank. 

The only thing you have said in the last week has been about how trads are cognitively dissonant.  :eyeroll:
(08-17-2012, 09:12 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote: The good thing about this: Putin doesn't give a damn what the "international community" says.

Thats what I thought, he doesn't seem interested in playing the "nice" popular person. He will not buckle. Well done Vlad on this one.

Militant hard line Christian leaders who are aware of the boundaries and the spirit of God's laws are needed now more than ever.
Fishies seem to have a fascination with authoritarian types. Hitler. Franco. Putin.  Is this from a subconscious desire for powerful father figures? Paging Dr. Freud.
It's interesting to read the actual verdict of the judge in her statements (it was posted here, scroll down a bit):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/aug...sfeed=true

Though we see the outcome of the trial as an authoritarian or antiliberal one, the language she uses is firmly liberal; it simply treats the claims of Christian churches to rights in a liberal society seriously. There's nothing in the verdict contradictory to mainstream liberal thought of say, the pre-WWII era. Actually, the "freedom" language the US bishops are now employing is not too far from the way that the Russian church understands its relationship to the state.

This aligns with the evidence from Putin's policies as the executive of Russia, which haven't been nearly as "reactionary" as the Western press make out to be. Vestiges of Soviet-era state multiculturalism still abound. However, it does make decisions independently of the "international community" and the State Department, as does China, so we should expect constant tension between them and the West. It's an open question whether the shape of Russian society will change if religiosity continues to grow; we must remember that Russia has not had a privileged and independent church for three hundred years.
(08-18-2012, 07:20 AM)Starry Plough Wrote: Fishies seem to have a fascination with authoritarian types. Hitler. Franco. Putin.  Is this from a subconscious desire for powerful father figures? Paging Dr. Freud.

If you put Hitler and Franco side by side there's no reason to take anything you say about history or politics seriously.
(08-18-2012, 01:55 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(08-18-2012, 01:45 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Cognitive, meet dissonance.  I have a feeling you'll live happily ever after here in the tank. 

The only thing you have said in the last week has been about how trads are cognitively dissonant.   :eyeroll:

The only thing the Doc has done on FE recently is utter blasphemies and pile on the Catholic faith.  He constantly belittles things like Our Lady's call for consecration as "magical consecration words".

I always wonder why people who hate traditionalism and traditionalists so much spend so much time here amongst them.
Franco wasn't authoritarian?