Pussy riot jailed: Vladimir Putin faces international outcry
(08-18-2012, 01:45 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Let me get this straight.  Russia has not been converted because the magical consecration words have not been uttered in their proper order and with the proper inflection by the pope.  Therefore, Russia continues to spread her errors through the world, as indicated by Our Lady at Fatima.  The leader of said error-spreading nation (a nation leading folks into error and away from the True Faith I might remind you) is now being lauded on FE for being a staunch defender of the Faith, a strong man of action, and a former (perhaps current?) communist who enjoys sticking his thumb in the eyes of leftists?  Oh, and the Mohammedans can teach us a thing or two while old Vlad is busy defending the Church from her enemies.  Is that a good summation?  One wonders why Russia needs to convert at all with this fabulous statesman Putin at the helm.

Cognitive, meet dissonance.  I have a feeling you'll live happily ever after here in the tank. 

No one lauds Putin as if he's already the leader we'd expect after Russia has been consecrated.  People laud one particular aspect of Putin's leadership which sets him apart from the vast majority of the world's other leaders.

This is not to say, in any way, shape, or form that Putin does not lack gravely in other areas and that Western leaders don't have a leg up on him when it comes to other virtues.

Please, stop with the strawmen.  It looks lazy.
I think jail time is too much, it will cause a backlash all over the world.  I'm not saying their crime should not have been taken seriously, but strict community service would have been a better punishment IMO.
(08-18-2012, 02:47 PM)Starry Plough Wrote: Franco wasn't authoritarian?

I'm sorry if I sounded impatient. Rough day so far.  :crazy:

I don't think that expressions of admiration of Franco and expressions of admiration of Hitler on a traditional Catholic forum are of the same species. Franco is probably most commonly admired around here because he was a traditional Catholic (he even incorporated the Carlist "Traditionalist Communion" into his National Movement) and fought to restore the Church in Spain to a position of authority. Thus I should think that General Franco is admired for being a Catholic and re-establishing Catholic governance (and restoring the Church herself!) in Spain.

Hitler, on the other hand, was a genocidal bigot pagan revolutionary, all things entirely antithetical to the Catholic faith. Evidently some around here do hold a shameful admiration for him, but it can't have anything to do with Catholicism.

Putin splits the difference I guess? Ex-commie spymaster, but at least he seems to offer some respect to the Russian Orthodox. Restoring Orthodoxy in Russia is a good thing. I don't know much about Vlad Putin the man, but I assume he's a politician. Thus I can't necessarily chalk it up to any true religiosity on his part, but then again I can't rule it out, either. As far as being an ex-commie, well... it was the only game in town for a while there.
I should also note that there is a difference between authoritarian and totalitarian. We could say that the Church and any form of "serious Christianity" are authoritarian.
I just read the translation of what they were shouting during the "punk prayer" session that they are going to jail for.  It was really very very bad and heartbreaking some of the things they said.  Why do secular activists and artists insist on saying terrible things about our Lord and Mary?  And what the heck does Mary have to do with Putin?  Leave her out of it.
(08-18-2012, 03:21 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: I just read the translation of what they were shouting during the "punk prayer" session that they are going to jail for.  It was really very very bad and heartbreaking some of the things they said.  Why do secular activists and artists insist on saying terrible things about our Lord and Mary?  And what the heck does Mary have to do with Putin?  Leave her out of it.

The Left hates Christianity. Many of them overtly hate our Lord. All of them will ultimately either abandon the Left, or come to the conclusion that the Church must be suppressed.

[Image: SpanishLeftistsShootStatueOfChrist.jpg]

Above: Spanish "Republicans" staging an "execution" of the Sacred Heart.

That picture tells you all you will ever need to know about Leftism. It is the final locution of the Left for all time.
Quote: Let me get this straight.  Russia has not been converted because the magical consecration words have not been uttered in their proper order and with the proper inflection by the pope. 
No, Russia has not been converted because it was never consecrated.  You have to have some level of common sense.  It wasn't consecrated, and the Pope acknowledged the fact.  Last I checked, it was still Russian Orthodox led by a KGB agent (I believe his name is Kirill).
Quote:Therefore, Russia continues to spread her errors through the world, as indicated by Our Lady at Fatima.  The leader of said error-spreading nation (a nation leading folks into error and away from the True Faith I might remind you)
What errors are left to be spread?  I hope you've viewed some of the Youtube videos from Yuri Bezmenov.  He out and out tells you what their strategy was and I highly doubt he is a "Fatamist". (The videos date from early 80s).  Bella Dodd admitted what the strategy was.  The "spreading of her errors" is past history.  Done.  Completed.  And now the media, universities, Church hierarchy, and a majority of government are Marxists.  In every Western country.  The Bezmenov videos have to give you  some cause to think about it?  Fatima predicts Russia will spread her errors, and here is a former KGB agent telling you the goal of the KGB was not much about spying, but spreading errors in the West.
Quote: is now being lauded on FE for being a staunch defender of the Faith, a strong man of action, and a former (perhaps current?) communist who enjoys sticking his thumb in the eyes of leftists? ....One wonders why Russia needs to convert at all with this fabulous statesman Putin at the helm.
  Putin is a tough nut to figure out.  He was definitely highly involved in crime.  A good book on this is "Red to Black" written as a novel based on fact.  I had some first hand experience with this working on a project with Yukos, and after I read the novel it connected a lot of dots.

The KGB was diverting 5% of Lithuanian crude shipments and selling it.  Well after Yukos go into trouble, they had to sell the refinery.  The Poles wanted to buy it, which would have shut down the rackets.  However sale was contingent on a refinery upgrade, which is where I came in (though I knew nothing about the KGB part).  The Russians were so arrogant, they didn't think we could pull it off.  Well, it worked, and then sabotage started up.  A few months later, they had an explosion.  I wasn't part of the recovery effort, but my buds were.  It was rebuilt in record time.  The Poles bought the refinery, and the scheme was discovered.  Here is what the wiki article says:
Quote: Suspicions were raised by various high-profile persons as to whether the fire was an accident, or industrial sabotage on the part of the Russian energy companies in revenge for not being offered to buy the company.[13] Notably, perhaps, the vice-leader of the Russian Duma, Konstantin Kosachev had said that "instability will continue to plague the refinery until the Lithuanians finally realize which partners one should choose" only a few hours before the start of the blaze.[2] However, no evidence of foul play has been revealed since the blaze.
So my guess is that Putin was perhaps a communist, but was (still is) a criminal.  He knows that spreading homosexual perversion was an error of Russia, and he knows what it did to the USA.  So he stomps it out in Russia.  It is kind of like mob-run neighborhoods.  Very safe places to be because the mob keeps everything that way to keep the police out of the neighborhood.  Putin knows the caustic effect of the errors of Russia, and so keeps them stomped out.

That's all we know about Putin.  Again the book "Red to Black" gives a better history.  So after the economic collapse, you can see Putin the criminal taking advantage of it to spread his empire.  Or maybe he does it to head off the Chinese as they pour through the mid East.  Or Putin could be dead by then.  I can see Putin converting after the consecration and saving Christendom.  It is possible.  Who knows.

Who would have predicted WWI?  Things are far better lined up for war today then that war.
Quote:  Why do secular activists and artists insist on saying terrible things about our Lord and Mary?
  One of the problems of Catholics is they really don't comprehend the depths of evil.  Here is the fact:  There are many people out there who want YOU dead.  They HATE Christ and His Church.  They worship death, and killing you is nothing to them.  And a whole system, called Marxism, is based on this HATE at its root.  Saying a few foul things in a church is NOTHING compared to the depths of evil which will be unleashed, which are already pouring out.

And the left gets stupid, and carried away in their own bull$h!t, so from time to time they screw up.  Obama off telepromter screws up and says business men didn't work for their business, it was given to them.  Some punk group saying vile things in the middle of a church (albeit a schismatic one).  Every once in awhile they forget the pepperoni strategy, i.e. taking off only a tiny slice at a time, and they screw up.  Then you get a slight glimpse behind the veil.  And you see why the left always concludes that Catholics MUST be slaughtered.  That is reality.
That's not a problem Adeodatus. I have that effect on people :).  For what it's worth I agree with your assessment of the difference between Hitler and Franco. It wasn't my
intention to malign Francisco.
The actions of Pussy Riot are akin to the commies.  Like the League of Militant Atheists, Union of Belligerent Atheists, Society of the Godless, Union of the Godless or whatever they wanted to call themselves in early Soviet Russia, you know back when the communists killed 66 million Russians, mostly Christians.

I recently read that Putin is quoted as saying he will defend religion.  I read this in an article about Syria.  You know, the Assad government has been friendly to the Christians in Syria.  The Alawites, which Assad is are reported to celebrate certain Christian festivals, "in their own way", including Christmas, Easter, and Palm Sunday, which make use of bread and wine.  When I read that Putin will defend religion I figured he was saying it just for political reasons but it looks like he was serious.

Maybe it's a good time to lobby our governments to put blasphemy crimes on the books here in western countries as well.