For all the NOers here: Jesus in on the floor
(08-21-2012, 05:38 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: A few Sunday's ago I was talking to this guy after Mass while waiting for Father to come out and bless a bunch of Saint Benedict medals and the conversation turned to CITH. Well, this guy said that for years he attended the Novus Ordo since that was all he had and one time when he went up for Communion he knelt and put his tongue out to receive and somehow the priest dropped all the consecrated Hosts on the floor. He said that he was mortified and tried to sort of cordon off the area so that no one would trample them but the priest actually told him that he was taking it all too seriously. At another Mass I remember the priest telling us that where he used to be up in Pensylvania there was always this guy licking the floor before Mass before anyone came in and he just thought this guy was nuts until he told him why he was licking the floor---to consume particles from Hosts that had fallen off of peoples hands.

:O (sometimes the smileys just fit the best)
I wanted to add like Voris said on one of his shows (I forgot the name of it it's free online at St. Michael's media website in audio form-but costs money to see it in video form) anyway he said that either the Eucharist is Christ or it's not. If it's Christ it's needs to be treated like Christ not dropped on the floor, treated in a casual manner.

My husband an Anglican that believes in the "real presence" (consubstatiation-both bread and Christ) thinks it's ridiculous to bow to the host or freak out about crumbs. I don't have a problem with Anglican communion on the hand or wherever because it's just bread. For all his "we are Catholic too just not Roman Catholic" he doesn't get that the Church (Roman Catholic) believes in Christ TRULY REALLY ACTUALLY is present and only the look/accidents of the bread remains. I want to tell him "well dear if the Catholic Church teaches and believes that it becomes Christ at consecration shouldn't it be treated as Christ? I really really want to say that but I don't because as many of you know who've read my posts I avoid any and all theological talk differences between the Anglicans and the Catholic Church for fear of a psychotic episode followed by divorce threats.

Anyway....either the host becomes Christ or it doesn't if it does all respect should be given to our Lord when he is present in the Eucharist.
(08-23-2012, 06:25 PM)FanofNeri Wrote: On the tongue, it always almost ends up that the Host is nearly dropped.

Interesting. I have been attending the traditional Latin Mass (where nothing but receiving on the tongue is permitted) for many years and I've only ever seen one host dropped on the floor; and the only reason it happened was because the poor lady (who was in a wheelchair) was very old and feeble, and she could barely stick out her tongue. When she did, she couldn't stop trembling. The first time it fell, the altar boy caught the Host on the paten, but the second time the priest tried to give her communion, the Host fell on the floor.

After Mass, she stopped me and cried: "Did you see what I did? I let poor Jesus fall on the floor." She felt terrible.
(08-24-2012, 07:33 AM)INPEFESS Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 06:25 PM)FanofNeri Wrote: On the tongue, it always almost ends up that the Host is nearly dropped.

Interesting. I have been attending the traditional Latin Mass (where nothing but receiving on the tongue is permitted) for many years and I've only ever seen one host dropped on the floor; and the only reason it happened was because the poor lady (who was in a wheelchair) was very old and feeble, and she could barely stick out her tongue. When she did, she couldn't stop trembling. The first time it fell, the altar boy caught the Host on the paten, but the second time the priest tried to give her communion, the Host fell on the floor.

After Mass, she stopped me and cried: "Did you see what I did? I let poor Jesus fall on the floor." She felt terrible.

I think it's that the training for the EME's is awful.  "Don't worry, no one receives this way anymore" is something I can sadly hear being said.  I just hate having to keep hands ready to try to catch Jesus lest He fall.  I know in RCIA, Father first showed us how to receive on the tongue, then went, "but most people around you will probably be doing this, because it's all they really know anymore" and showed us how to receive on the hand.

Bless that old woman's heart...
(08-21-2012, 09:37 AM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: Of course christ is present even in the atomic level...but we have no responsability other then our normal perceptive powers.

Christ is present as long as the accidents of bread are present.  If you break it down to the atomic level, e.g. down the the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, etc ... then there is no more Real Presence.

Unless you mean the level at which Christ is present when the accidents of bread are still there ... in that case I have no idea if you could say He is present at the atomic level ... I don't even know what that would mean. He's truly, really, substantially present, but there are really no atoms making up bread, there are atoms making up Christ's Body and Blood, if indeed His Glorious Body is made of atoms as think of them.
(08-24-2012, 01:30 PM)FanofNeri Wrote:

I think it's that the training for the EME's is awful.  "Don't worry, no one receives this way anymore" is something I can sadly hear being said.  I just hate having to keep hands ready to try to catch Jesus lest He fall.  I know in RCIA, Father first showed us how to receive on the tongue, then went, "but most people around you will probably be doing this, because it's all they really know anymore" and showed us how to receive on the hand.

The local parish church here has a book on training EMHC's and it is awful. It is chock full of photographs of the laity putting "the bread" into people's hands. One time I actually skimmed the words in the book to see if anything about the Real Presence was mentioned and it wasn't, not even once. The book looked like it was from the late 70's-mid 80's so it was dated but face it, many of those people that went through that type of training where our Lord was not mentioned at all are still probably serving as EMHC's at many parishes. This book was a manual that made zero mention of Holy Communion being anything but bread and wine being plunked into ones hand by lay people in tacky sweaters.
(08-24-2012, 04:51 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(08-21-2012, 09:37 AM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote: Of course christ is present even in the atomic level...but we have no responsability other then our normal perceptive powers.

Christ is present as long as the accidents of bread are present.  If you break it down to the atomic level, e.g. down the the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, etc ... then there is no more Real Presence.

Unless you mean the level at which Christ is present when the accidents of bread are still there ... in that case I have no idea if you could say He is present at the atomic level ... I don't even know what that would mean. He's truly, really, substantially present, but there are really no atoms making up bread, there are atoms making up Christ's Body and Blood, if indeed His Glorious Body is made of atoms as think of them.
I wasnt being literal...i just meant crumbs to small to see...also as eastern rite we have micro drplets of wine tob concerned with
(08-24-2012, 05:12 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 01:30 PM)FanofNeri Wrote:

The local parish church here has a book on training EMHC's and it is awful. It is chock full of photographs of the laity putting "the bread" into people's hands. One time I actually skimmed the words in the book to see if anything about the Real Presence was mentioned and it wasn't, not even once. The book looked like it was from the late 70's-mid 80's so it was dated but face it, many of those people that went through that type of training where our Lord was not mentioned at all are still probably serving as EMHC's at many parishes. This book was a manual that made zero mention of Holy Communion being anything but bread and wine being plunked into ones hand by lay people in tacky sweaters.

I cringed my way through that description of the photographs, but was nearly bowled right over by the lack of mentioning the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist...to not mention Him is to be among the most egregious thing I can imagine when training the EMHCs.  "Don't worry, just quickly put the bread in their hands" is vastly different to, "Remember, you are but dust, but that which is in your hands is the Body of Christ.  You are blessed to be holding Christ Himself, and should reflect as much as you are given the honor of aiding in the distribution of Holy Communion."
(08-24-2012, 08:19 PM)voxxpopulisuxx Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 04:51 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:

I wasnt being literal...i just meant crumbs to small to see...also as eastern rite we have micro drplets of wine tob concerned with

Fair enough ... I was responding to your statement literally since this is a confusing topic but the Church has a precise teaching.