Did you know Franz Liszt was in the minor orders?
Cool thread, thanks for sharing.
(08-22-2012, 05:07 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Wasn't Chopin a repentant Catholic as well? I'll have to read the Liszt biography whenever I find the time.

Choppin' you say?

(08-20-2012, 02:53 PM)Gerard Wrote: Frederic Lamond was one of Liszt's last pupils. (Liszt died in 1886)

In 1945 Lamond recorded his recollections of Liszt.

What a joy the youtube above. So I did a wikipedia search on Frederic Lamond

Frederic Archibald Lamond (28 January 1868 – 21 February 1948) was a Scottish classical pianist and composer, and the second-to-last surviving pupil of Franz Liszt.

and at the end of the article I found:

Lamond was a highly respected teacher, among whose pupils were Gunnar Johansen, Jan Chiapusso, Ervin Nyíregyházi, and Victor Borge.

Victor Borge the Danish comedian?! Well kick me in the head!

[video=youtube]Aajtw30-YG0[/video]
Vivaldi was a priest.
(08-25-2012, 04:45 PM)jake-the-rake Wrote: Victor Borge the Danish comedian?! Well kick me in the head!

Not at all surprising since long before he became a comedian he was a classically trained child prodigy on the piano. He gave his first public recital at age eight and at nine was awarded a full scholarship to the Royal Danish Academy of Music.
Charles Gounod, if I recall, also considered becoming a priest at one point, and even had a music stand with an image of the Face of Christ. He even composed the "national anthem" for the Vatican:

From what I could find, Franz Liszt was an acolyte, but did not attain to the subdiaconate. I suppose this means that he was not required to observe the Breviary.
(08-20-2012, 08:12 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Men just don't look this debonair anymore.

You like his hair, don't you?
(08-26-2012, 07:46 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: You like his hair, don't you?

Who doesn't? I might cut mine like that when I get older.
Did he stop the sleeping around or did that continue right along with his quoting The Imitation of Christ and entering into the minor orders?