Digital Bible pops up in more pews, pulpits. Only in the NO....
I really want a Kindle now  :LOL: Rev, which version did you get?
You can use them for your own personal use but it would be an abuse to use a digital device in lieu of the lectionary or the Roman Missal that is used during mass. It would be inappropriate to incense a digdtal device during the liturgy. In those cases real books should be used.   
(08-22-2012, 01:05 AM)Poche Wrote: You can use them for your own personal use but it would be an abuse to use a digital device in lieu of the lectionary or the Roman Missal that is used during mass. It would be inappropriate to incense a digdtal device during the liturgy. In those cases real books should be used.   
Get with the times.
I can see the altar boy taking the Ipad from the epistle side of the altar and placing it on the Gospel side.

Beautifuuul!
(08-22-2012, 01:05 AM)Poche Wrote: You can use them for your own personal use but it would be an abuse to use a digital device in lieu of the lectionary or the Roman Missal that is used during mass. It would be inappropriate to incense a digdtal device during the liturgy. In those cases real books should be used.   

Perhaps part of the unease about using a Kindle or iPad is that it is much more than a Bible. A printed Bible or Gospel is just that, but an iPad or Kindle can (and probably will) contain so much more, from other books, to games, and various other applications.

I'm not against their use in Church, especially not by the laity, but do admit that there it is something much more emotionally fulfilling about a big old volume, decorated like the one HK posted than a tiny plastic and metal device, as well as having something that is only used (and made for use only) during mass.

(08-22-2012, 04:22 AM)ecclesiastes Wrote: I'm not against their use in Church, especially not by the laity, but do admit that there it is something much more emotionally fulfilling about a big old volume, decorated like the one HK posted than a tiny plastic and metal device, as well as having something that is only used (and made for use only) during mass.

That's the prime point that should be used against using digital tech on the altar. What is the motive for such a device during worship? Practicality? Simplicity? Up-to-date? Those were the attributes used to center the NO around and look where that ended up. We cast off what is aesthetically pleasing to the senses and what is the best we can offer to God, we offend him! Least we forget why he refused Israel's sacrifices as the Prophet Isaiah made perfectly clear.
That said, I wouldn't be surprised, though, if some people really objected to printed books, rather than handwritten manuscripts, being used on the altar when they were first introduced.
I can understand people being upset at the the idea of a priest using an ipad/ereader for Mass. As for individuals using them in the pews, that's up to the individuals themselves, and isn't anyone else's business, as long as it doesn't make any noise.
(08-23-2012, 01:22 AM)Deidre Wrote: I can understand people being upset at the the idea of a priest using an ipad/ereader for Mass. As for individuals using them in the pews, that's up to the individuals themselves, and isn't anyone else's business, as long as it doesn't make any noise.
Ok. Everyone is justifying the individuals @ the pews using ereaders.
What do you think about priests using them when offering Mass.

Without tiptoeing and saying "I could understand why people would get upset of the idea of a priest using an ipad for mass etc" et al.

We (in the Eastern Rites) venerate the Gospel Book more highly than Icons (or images) of Christ. I wouldn't venerate a Kindle or iPad; I don't care what its screen says. This is from an Eastern Orthodox perspective, however, I think it fits this topic well (and its amusing): [Image: 558998_394954207235626_1943189704_n.jpg]
(08-22-2012, 12:25 AM)Spooky Wrote: I really want a Kindle now  :LOL: Rev, which version did you get?

Don't know about Revixit, but I've got the basic Kindle which I bought for, IIRC, $79.99. I've got a  lot of the same books Rev mentioned and I'll have to go looking for more. I've got three or four prayerbooks, the DR Bible and the entire Summa Theologica for starters!