Weekly/daily Mass in Boston and Maine area
(08-22-2012, 10:24 AM)Old Salt Wrote: Thank you Joe.

Maybe someday the Ordinary will give permission to them.

The SSPX hasn't had permission since the mid-1970s.
(08-22-2012, 04:25 PM)joe17 Wrote: I agree with you there Old Man! 
  Their latest configurement plan(to have a "team ministry-pastor/assistants and key office/janitorial personal to handle more than one building rather than closing) is only delaying the inevitability of closing for good more churches and selling them.  Of course, they will not knowingly sell to a trad group whether indie/Society or sede.  But for some unexplainable reason, they have sold their churches directly to protestant/nondenoms/Hindu groups. 
  Since about 5 years ago when the Willing Shepherds in Lawrence got the big Sacred Heart Church to rent(recently able to purchase I hear) by renting it from a developer who was going to use it for apartments/condos, the Archdiocese has done all that it can to prevent any of their future sales from going into the hands of a traditional group.  I have not heard that they are so diligent about letting Non-Trad groups buy their places. 
  Friar Sean and predecessors are well entrenched in the American Church.  I am a product of their schools.  Be good to your neighbor.  Be extra good to the false religions.  Do not root out problems.  Pray one day God will permit us to have the unadulterated faith to be practiced in our (at the moment captive) churches.

Joe

The Dominicans (Willing Shepherds) of Lawrence, MA, are, from what I have come to understand, doing an outstanding job. The young priest who serves them is now saying Mass in CT too. May God bless their work.

St. Vincent Ferrer Chapel
1442 Hopeville Road
Griswold, CT 06351
Sunday Mass: 5:00 p.m.

Sacred Heat Church
321 South Broadway
Lawrence, MA 01843
Sunday Mass: 10:00 a.m.
CP,

That is certainly correct about the Society.  In the Boston area, they(the Society) had a bit of a "hands off" policy due to the fact that an independent/former Archdiocesan priest, Fr John Keene, had set up chapels in the area in the early 70's.  He was friendly with them and would have one of the bishops come for Confirmations when necessary. One was in Lawrence, the other, main one in Boston(West Roxbury).  He had 4 going during the warmer months, including a mission in RI.  He passed away in 2001. 
When he died, problems eventually arose due to who would now lead the places.  Prior arrangements were not put in place to make a transition easy.  Some of the faithful certainly did not help matters.  There are some many different views in chapels to this day that can be a major cause of dissension when the founding priest goes to his eternal reward.
  Old Man, yes, the Willing Shepherds have done quite the job of putting Sacred Heart back together after the NO gutted it before the sale.  The NO put up  quite the stink once the WS secured the building by putting out a notice that they were not authorised or Catholic, the local parishes putting the same stuff in their bulletins.                                                                                Last I saw, there was maybe 100 people or so going to SH.  I believe Fr Mckenna has been well trained and capable.  I know of the place in Connecticut they just started.  I hope that with these priests in the midst of the souls in the Boston area that more people will eventually see the truth of the situation and look to what is in the offering. 

Joe

(08-22-2012, 07:25 PM)joe17 Wrote: CP,

That is certainly correct about the Society.  In the Boston area, they(the Society) had a bit of a "hands off" policy due to the fact that an independent/former Archdiocesan priest, Fr John Keene, had set up chapels in the area in the early 70's.  He was friendly with them and would have one of the bishops come for Confirmations when necessary. One was in Lawrence, the other, main one in Boston(West Roxbury).  He had 4 going during the warmer months, including a mission in RI.  He passed away in 2001. 
When he died, problems eventually arose due to who would now lead the places.  Prior arrangements were not put in place to make a transition easy.  Some of the faithful certainly did not help matters.  There are some many different views in chapels to this day that can be a major cause of dissension when the founding priest goes to his eternal reward.
  Old Man, yes, the Willing Shepherds have done quite the job of putting Sacred Heart back together after the NO gutted it before the sale.  The NO put up  quite the stink once the WS secured the building by putting out a notice that they were not authorised or Catholic, the local parishes putting the same stuff in their bulletins.                                                                                 Last I saw, there was maybe 100 people or so going to SH.  I believe Fr Mckenna has been well trained and capable.  I know of the place in Connecticut they just started.  I hope that with these priests in the midst of the souls in the Boston area that more people will eventually see the truth of the situation and look to what is in the offering. 

Joe

Joe, there are a few TLMs offered through the Archdiocese of Boston.  on every Sunday one is offered in the Cathedral, in the lower Church.  There is also one offered at Mary Immaculate of Lourdes in Newton, and one offered at Saint Adelaide's in West Peabody...
Lumine,

True, the Motu Mass is offered by several priests with the Archdiocese.  Mary Immaculate in particular in Newton has it everyday, along with the NO.  Its pastor whom I am familiar with from years ago is on the conservative side, true enough.  I know people that assist at the places.  However, VII and everything that comes with it is at all of these places.  Put another way,  you cannot get away from the fact that even though sin may be preached about at these places and Catholic morality promoted, they are still in league with the Archdiocese and the Vatican that permit Ecumenical gatherings, to name just one thing, that would have been condemned before VII.
    Unfortunately, one's faith can be damaged if one only went by what the priests there would say about VII and the NO.  While some priests would look the other way when the laity critiques these things, the fact is that the Vatican says you must accept them as delivered.
  The places spoken of here that have set up shop are not encumbered by these issues.  I have not touched on the validity issue because it would possibly go out of bounds for this forum, but I do not even have to go there.  I think you understand.
  One more thing on the SSPX.  They have had a prescence in the Boston area for about 10yrs now, first just south of Boston and currently North-west.  After the above-mentioned Fr Keene passed, a while later the Society started to come in.  There have been rumors here in there(over a year ago the last one I heard) that they were looking for a chapel to purchase in the area.  I would not be surprised if that is now on the back burner.

Joe
(08-23-2012, 01:12 AM)joe17 Wrote:   One more thing on the SSPX.   They have had a presence in the Boston area for about 10 years now, first just south of Boston and currently North-west.  After the above-mentioned Fr. Keene passed, a while later the Society started to come in.  There have been rumors here in there (over a year ago the last one I heard) that they were looking for a chapel to purchase in the area.  I would not be surprised if that is now on the back burner.

Joe

I go to the SSPX chapel in the Boston area, specifically in my hometown of Woburn. They are still collecting a building fund for a new chapel and are still looking for one. As of this coming Sunday, their Masses will be at 10 AM.
(08-22-2012, 07:09 PM)Crusader_Philly Wrote:
(08-22-2012, 10:24 AM)Old Salt Wrote: Thank you Joe.

Maybe someday the Ordinary will give permission to them.

The SSPX hasn't had permission since the mid-1970s.
Yes, unfortunate.
Maybe someday the Ordinary will give them permission as well.
(08-23-2012, 02:18 AM)HailGilbert Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 01:12 AM)joe17 Wrote:   One more thing on the SSPX.   They have had a presence in the Boston area for about 10 years now, first just south of Boston and currently North-west.  After the above-mentioned Fr. Keene passed, a while later the Society started to come in.  There have been rumors here in there (over a year ago the last one I heard) that they were looking for a chapel to purchase in the area.  I would not be surprised if that is now on the back burner.

Joe

I go to the SSPX chapel in the Boston area, specifically in my hometown of Woburn. They are still collecting a building fund for a new chapel and are still looking for one. As of this coming Sunday, their Masses will be at 10 AM.

I'll actually be going to school in the area for the next few years. Could you tell me the address of the current chapel?
(08-23-2012, 02:18 AM)HailGilbert Wrote:

Joe

My in-laws attend that chapel, and my wife and I would go occasionally when we still lived in New England.  Because Mass used to be at 6pm most of the time we ended up going to Mary Immaculate of Lourdes. 
I think the Slaves of the Immaculate, in both their Still River and Richmond locations offer exclusively the TLM, and they are fully regularised.