The old church ladies strike again: Spanish fresco ruined
Draw and quarter her maybe?
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(08-22-2012, 03:56 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: Funny line and I hope it's true. But, she painted too perfect a hominid for me to dismiss this as pure folly on the part of an 80 year old.

Why did she mess with the eyes, nose and mouth? All she had to do was touch up the area around the ear on the left of his face. And a few spots around the beard below the mouth.

For all we know she is taking the fall for a group who employed a Picasso enthusiast to deface the Icon and make a statement for Evolution against Church Doctrine.

That's an intriguing hypothesis. Looking at the destruction she has wrought, it is difficult to see how anyone with good intentions, no matter how poor her ability, would be able to render the painting so utterly unrecognizeable from its original beauty. I mean, it looks NOTHING like the original. I understand she is an octogenarian, but is she BLIND?
It's an old church lady conspiracy!

We in ur sanctuary, evolutionizing ur frescos..
(08-22-2012, 05:45 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: It's an old church lady conspiracy!

:LOL:
(08-22-2012, 05:45 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: It's an old church lady conspiracy!

You should make a meme.
(08-22-2012, 05:30 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:
(08-22-2012, 03:56 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: Funny line and I hope it's true. But, she painted too perfect a hominid for me to dismiss this as pure folly on the part of an 80 year old.

Why did she mess with the eyes, nose and mouth? All she had to do was touch up the area around the ear on the left of his face. And a few spots around the beard below the mouth.

For all we know she is taking the fall for a group who employed a Picasso enthusiast to deface the Icon and make a statement for Evolution against Church Doctrine.

That's an intriguing hypothesis. Looking at the destruction she has wrought, it is difficult to see how anyone with good intentions, no matter how poor her ability, would be able to render the painting so utterly unrecognizeable from its original beauty. I mean, it looks NOTHING like the original. I understand she is an octogenarian, but is she BLIND?

Not to disparage this idea, but it's possible that when she realized she was a failure at realism, she tried for impressionism, and then neo-impressionism, and then finally fell into cubism by the sheer force of gravity.
(08-22-2012, 03:57 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: Do you actually think a medieval bishop would have gone that far? If she brought it to the authorities' attention herself? And it was judged her intentions were not towards desecration?

The stocks sounds awful for an octagenarian, even if only for a few hours.

It's possible. The medieval approach was generally "harsh and swift". Better to get it over with quickly rather than have a productive member of society (including old grandmas) languish in prison, eating at the treasury's expense. But if she brought it to the authorities' attention herself, that would be a mitigating factor. Perhaps the bishop would impose severe spiritual penances instead.
(08-22-2012, 03:56 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote:
(08-22-2012, 03:02 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: This is an example of 90% intentions and 10% ability.

Funny line and I hope it's true. But, she painted too perfect a hominid for me to dismiss this as pure folly on the part of an 80 year old.

Ye.this was no restoration job.She just  painted over the whole damn thing!
(08-22-2012, 05:55 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote:
(08-22-2012, 05:30 PM)rbjmartin Wrote:

Not to disparage this idea, but it's possible that when she realized she was a failure at realism, she tried for impressionism, and then neo-impressionism, and then finally fell into cubism by the sheer force of gravity.

:LOL:
(08-22-2012, 05:12 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Draw and quarter her maybe?

I don't think women were ever hanged, drawn, and quartered. HK would know for sure.